We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

supermarket

Sao Paulo, Brazil
Level Contributor
302 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
supermarket

I have just read that supercentre is one

of the most expensive supermarkets in

the island.is it true?

any suggestions?

I will make self-catering at breakfast and lunch.

many thanks,david.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
13,569 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: supermarket

Before the opening of the new and improved Carlton Supermarket I may have agreed with you but really every supermarket has it's pro's and cons.

I use Supercentre,Jordans and Carlton, but quite honestly for the odd few dollars difference if Supercentre is nearest to where you are staying, then I would happily stick with it-----------------Supercentre definitely has the biggest choice, especially the one at Warrens.

If however, you have a car, then shop around and see for yourself. Happy holidays !

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,311 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: supermarket

david83504

Being the best in terms of having the widest selection and being the best in terms of great customer service will cost you a bit more than going to the average supermarket on the island. The reality is, Supermarket A will sell something $1 more than Supermarket B, but Supermarket B will sell something else you require $0.50 less than Supermarket A.

As a local I've learnt not to bother with the minor price differences and I just go to Super Centre Sunset Crest or Warrens every week. It is without doubt the best supermarket chain on the island. There are at least two other supermarket chains which have several everyday items more expensive than Super Centre, so it really doesn't matter much anymore.

My suggestion, no matter where you are staying South Coast or West Coast, there will be a Super Centre within at most 10-15 minutes of your location. If you're in the Speightstown area, Jordans can work out well for you.

Regards

Mentioned in this post
Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: supermarket

Does the market at Six Roads carry a good variety? We are staying about 10 min. by bus from there at a self catering rental. Plan to bring some things with us. Wondering about coffee and cereals. Is there a local coffee that is good.

Arriving early evening 2 Apr. What time do stores close?

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,311 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: supermarket

Oneeyedlove

Yes, Emerald City at Six Roads carries a very good variety. We do not have a local coffee industry so all of our coffee is imported.

Emerald City is open Monday-Saturday until 10:01pm and until 2pm on Sundays.

I'd highly recommend you bring your tea, coffee and cereals with you particularly if you have a particular favourite such as those offered by M&S and Waitrose.

Regards

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: supermarket

Flight gets in a 2020, may have to get taxi driver to stop for essentials, read beer.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,311 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: supermarket

Oneeyedlove

That would be a good idea. At 20:20hrs, it'll take about an hour to get out of BGI and with the drive included you should be at Emerald City the earliest 21:30.

Regards

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: supermarket

Perfect, gotta have a little something to stave off jet lag from Halifax-Tranna-Barbados.

Sao Paulo, Brazil
Level Contributor
302 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: supermarket

I know I can always COUNT ON you,

many thanks.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,311 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: supermarket

david83504

You're welcome. Out of curiosity, are you taking advantage of Gol's weekly flight between GRU and BGI to get here?

Regards

Sao Paulo, Brazil
Level Contributor
302 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: supermarket

BGIWorldTraveller

definitly.we will arrive in july 14th,

and return to brazil in july 21th

cheers