We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barbados vs. St. Lucia

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Barbados vs. St. Lucia

We had a wonderful trip to Barbados but were thinking of trying St. Lucia next time. Can anyone compare for me....Beaches, People, Food....thanks!

spacecadet74
Level Contributor
156 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barbados vs. St. Lucia

Hi, I've been to Barbados & St Lucia twice & they're both lovely but quite different.

Beaches - only stayed in the north of St Lucia so just saw those beaches but from what I remember they're probably similar to beaches in Barbados. Pretty sure the beaches in St Lucia are public like in Barbados.

Barbados is pretty flat unlke St Lucia which is mountainous so Bim in MUCH easier to get around. It took us 1.5 hours to get from the main airport at the south of St Lucia (Hewannora) to where we were staying in the north (& the roads are not too pleasant as they're windy) but if you were to stay in the north, there is a smaller airport in Castries (Vigie) & I think some US flights land there or you could get a helicopter transfer from the south. As it's harder to get round St Lucia it's not as easy to eat out (we stayed AI so can't somment too much on this) so think there are lots of AI hotels there. Also can't comment too much on food in restaurants as stayed AI (food in the hotel was nice) & there was a french influence so similar but different to Barbados.

St Lucia is beautiful with stunning scenery & some lovely hotels & the people in St Lucia & Barbados are equally lovely & nicer than some other Caribbean islands.

Hope that helps.

Wigan
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Barbados vs. St. Lucia

Very different places, BDS has short transfers, quite good beaches, friendly people, extensive nightlife & dining. SL has longer transfers, beaches are Ok but you have to look for them, personally we find the locals less welcoming than BDS, apart from Rodney Bay nothing much to do. BUT for natural beauty & unspoilt 'jungly' areas SL wins hands down. I would think SL would suit someone who wanted to have a good hotel base but wanted to venture out, there is more "adventure-ing" in SL.

Toronto
Level Contributor
555 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barbados vs. St. Lucia

We've done both. Barbados for us. We like to get out and about, trying that in St L. was a disaster. 1.5hrs from the airport to the hotel zone? More like double that. In BIM the most we drove was 45mins, most places were 25mins away. We easily got 2 places in and home by 5pm. St L is more beautiful but beaches are not comparable to BIM.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
306 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barbados vs. St. Lucia

I have to agree with these responses. I have been to Barbados 3 times and love it there. Wanted to try something different so we went to St. Lucia this past December. I found the beaches to be much nicer (more turquoisey) in Barbados than St. Lucia (which is a volcanic island). And yes, it is very "jungly and mountainous" and there are some very fun, adventurous excursions (zip lining in the rainforest, snorkeling boat trip, volcano/mud baths, etc). I also stayed at an AI (Sandals Grande) so didn't experience any of the local restaurants. We had a GREAT time in St. Lucia! One of our most fun vacations!

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,444 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barbados vs. St. Lucia

Personally, I love both places. Barbados has great water and beaches and is much easier to get around, lots of restaurants from simple to gourmet, has more shopping (for tourists who like that) and is more upscale overall.

St. Lucia is gorgeous, lots of nature activities to do, takes a long time to get from one place to another but not 3 hours as Mikeycanuk says -- it is 1-1/2 hours from the main airport to the Northern hotels (our driver did the trip in 50 minutes when there was no traffic), less to other parts of the island. It is a poorer Country than Barbados. I go there almost every year but, as I said, I love Barbados as well.

If you've been to Barbados then you should try St. Lucia. It's much slower paced and a definitely different vibe.

6. Re: Barbados vs. St. Lucia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, February 13, 2012