We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barbados customs

Gloucester, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Barbados customs

I recently arrived at Barbados airport and was stopped by a custom officer. She asked if I had any cigarettes and I answered truthfully that I had purchased 200 at Gatwick also my husband had purchased 200 too. She informed me that I would have to pay £50 duty for these cigarettes. I argued that the website had stated that I could bring in 200 and also the booklet on Virgin plane had said the same. she informed me that the law as recently changed and that no cigarettes were permitted. She confiscated the cigarettes and gave me a receipt and said I could collect them on my return journey. I did collect them on my return but only after a lot of hassle. I am just warning other travellers not to try and bring cigarettes into Barbados with them. We were staying in Barbados for a few days prior to embarking a cruise ship. At the Barbados port the cigarettes are very cheap.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barbados customs

Thanks for the reminder on this one Anne!

It's been a topic once or twice before as it STILL states on the Bajan Government website, that up to 200 cigarettes can be brought in... gov.bb/portal/…20Allowances

It's not really fair that they still publicise this, but then try and charge duty on import - how are people supposed to know?? Virgin do tend to have posters up at check in notifying passengers, but that's the only way!

On the whole, I don't think customs check, I think you must have been quite unlucky, unless they are really clamping down :O(

PMP
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barbados customs

When we went in March Virgin had a notice at check-in stating BBD would charge a tax on anyone taking cigarettes into the country. BUT, how many people actually read the notices when you are trying to answer security questions and get your seats etc clarified. It would help if the airlines could notify people when issuing their tickets to those people flying to Barbados, also in Duty Free areas.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,757 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barbados customs

my question is did she actually say 50.00pounds duty.. or did she say 50.00dollars. You can bring cigs in but you will pay duty. I guess if you are carrying a few packs in your purse they may never know.. but Cigs are NO LONGER duty free coming into Barbados.

I think it may have just been bad luck at the time that you were asked.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,876 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barbados customs

When we came through in July there was no green channel. Everyone had to go through customs and be asked about what we were taking into the country. We were asked what we had in our luggage and specifically asked about cigarettes, food and alcohol. We dont smoke and said nothing about our Gordons gin.I take it we are still allowed 1 litre each are we?

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,823 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barbados customs

yes alcohol can still be brought in duty free. There very rarely is a green channel open in customs here...I think in all the years I've lived here and traveled I have been through the green channel once!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,876 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barbados customs

We must have been lucky in the past. This is the first time in the past 5 years that we have been stopped.

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,037 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barbados customs

This matter has been discussed several times on this forum in 2010 ...following the change in the regulations when Barbados joined several other countries in abandoning 'duty free ' imports of cigarettes

There were signs at Gatwick at the Virgin desks and when I asked the Staff on my BA flight they confirmed that we could be charged duty on entering Barbados

The issue previously was that no one seemed to know exactly the rate of duty to be charged and my Emails to various Government offices were ignored

When we travelled in April ...they were plenty of staff asking questions but I saw nobody being searched

Did they really quote the rate in GB£ or have you done the conversion ??? ...£50 would be most severe

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,037 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barbados customs

See here for the 3 most recent topics ....anything prior to Dec 2009 i probably now not relevant

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147262-i230-k35…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147262-i230-k33…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147262-i230-k32…

Barbados
Level Contributor
318 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Barbados customs

Just a bit of info for anyone arriving in the near future; the Barbados customs at the airport are staging industrial action which is causing longer than expected queues going through customs. Expect a longer wait than normal.

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,274 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Barbados customs

When we arrived last weds the q for customs was horrendous. They were searching bags and the guy in front of us was told he would have to pay $120 for 400 ciggies. We were stuck there about an hour which was not a great welcome to the country!