We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the deal with Reggae buses?

Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
What's the deal with Reggae buses?

I've seen them mentioned here but don't know a thing about them. Do they run regular routes ? Are they reliable? I'm renting a car but it sounds like it could be lots of fun. Could I actually ride one and do a pseudo tour of the island on one ?

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
5,176 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the deal with Reggae buses?

in my opinion we don't have Reggae buses in Barbados. We have 3 types of public transport - Govt Buses - big blue with yellow strip down the side buses . Mini Vans - Midium to larger size van/buses that are yellow with blue strip down the side. . and Route-Taxi's, which are smaller passenger Vans that are Cream with a burgandy strip down the side. by law they all are supposed to stop at the same bus stops and not go off route. (hahha - like that ever happens). the Mini-Vans'a and Route Taxi's (ZR's as we call them) will stop and pick you up and drop you just about anywhere as long as their isn't a cop around (or even if there is).

The route taxis will play music, sometimes, but it's not legal for any of them to play music while in route. Govt buses travel all over the island, Mini Vans and Route Taxi's stay mostly to the west and south coats and only venture partially inland.

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
4,237 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the deal with Reggae buses?

We travelled on a Min-Van (yellow bus) from Speightstown to Holetown- it was definitely an experience but the music was so loud my whole body was vibrating (Imight have been sitting on one of the speakers !!)- so, great for short journeys not sure I would want to be on one for long.

Mentioned in this post
Holetown
Holetown
Barbados
PMP
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the deal with Reggae buses?

We have been on many "regae" buses. Sometimes the driver has the music on very loud and drives very fast (white knuckle ride) other times they have played the music a lot quiter, and driven quite sedately!

I have also been on the government buses where some of the drivers have actually driven faster than some of the reggae bus drivers!

Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the deal with Reggae buses?

Sunni, thanks for the info. It seems like the more I know about the bus system the less sense it makes though. I didn't know all the bus systems were public I thought the "reggaes" were on their own. Why the 3 types, and what does the "ZR" stand for?

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
14,074 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the deal with Reggae buses?

The yellow buses which I always catch, are not supposed to play music but most of them do----------------------very loudly, and they're great fun until they start going slower and slower to block the blue ones ( government buses ) and get their fares. I love them !

Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the deal with Reggae buses?

I looked at a few youtube videos with the "reggae buses" and it looked like it could be real annoying or lots of fun depending on the driver and the music. I suspect there might be a correlation between sobriety of the passenger and how much fun they have too. Late at night after a few rums it would be fun but first thing in the morning it might not be. I'm going to stick with my rental car.

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the deal with Reggae buses?

I used all 3 types of transport almost daily in my opinion the transport system is excellent. There are some transport board (blue bus) drivers that drive very fast especially on the last bus 12.05am from town. As far as the yellow buses go yes some of them have loud music but others keep to a very respectful speed limit and are christian drivers. White Vans these provide a very efficient service on both south and west coast. The drivers will always make sure you get off at the correct stop and will sound their horn if you are walking down a side road and they think you want a ride. All in all Barbados can be very proud of its transport system and I encourage visitors to use them. Long may that last bus to Bathsheba continue!! Enjoy!! for 1.50bds you can't really go wrong.

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Bathsheba
Bathsheba
Barbados
MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,959 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's the deal with Reggae buses?

I have never been on a ZR ...not so many on the west coast where we usually stay ...but I have seen and heard plenty !!

I have been on plenty of yellow and blue buses ...and have NEVER been on a yellow one without music ......and never been on one that drives at what I consider a normal or slow speed ....having said that the blue buses are generally not slow

I agree with other posters that the music can be a good or bad thing .... depends on so many things

Overall the Barbados bus system is great and certainly tremendous value

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Gloucester
Level Contributor
129 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's the deal with Reggae buses?

I take the reggae (yellow) buses to be part and parcel of Barbados and many tourists enjoy the experience as it is so different from the form of transport used at home. However, on my last trip I was saddened by the words of the songs being played, one Bajan lady told me that the school children especially are being influenced by these songs and it is not a good thing.

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
14,074 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's the deal with Reggae buses?

The Government have actually made it illegal for children to take the yellow buses to school unaccomanied , because they think the music played is unsuitable because of it's often sexual content. However the day the ruling came into force the children were still queueing in Holetown to get on the yellow ones instead of the blue ones !!!

Mentioned in this post
Holetown
Holetown
Barbados