We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are the airport officials in Barbados really shady, or do...

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
Save Topic
Are the airport officials in Barbados really shady, or do...

Yesterday on the Chicago, CBS2 news, a couple went there on their honeymoon. When they arrived, the "customs officials", told them their birth certificates, and valid driver's licenses, were not acceptable I.D. They took them in a van to some run down, horrible looking house down there, and tried to get them in it. Now, I've wanted to try this island, but after hearing this on the news, and seeing it firsthand, I don't think we will ever go there. I can't post a commercial link to the CBS2 chicago news here, but the story should be on there, from their 10P.M. broadcast. Has anyone else experienced this type of behavior? Oh, I almost forgot, the couple was able to get a return flight home. Their air carrier was American.

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are the airport officials in Barbados really shady, or do...

I haven't been able to read the report you refer to, but in answer to your posting question.....no I've never meet a shady or biased airport offical in Barbados yet...but then we have always had the "correct" paper work upon entry.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Are the airport officials in Barbados really shady, or do...

The couple I mentioned were told by hotels dot com and American Airlines, their paperwork was correct. I don't know what these "officials" were going to do to the honeymooners. It is frightening. Here is the link: http://cbs2chicago.com/local Click on the right side, where the video links are. The couple story is second from the right. Barbados does require passports, and these people were not given the correct into. and mistreated.

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are the airport officials in Barbados really shady, or do...

I am an American citizen for the past 25 years and because i am not white,i sometimes get the same treatment when returning to the US.Three weeks ago returning from Punta Cana the immigration officer in Atlanta(predudice written all over his face)instead of saying Hello,how was your trip?in a nasty tone asked What do you do for a living?Where do you work?...i said.. Hold it right there !In the last 30 years of travelling 3-5 times a year no immigration officer has ever asked me a question like that,the idiot replied,he can ask me what ever he wants..my reply was..and i have the right not to answer,thats one of my constitutional rights!without another word he stamped my passport and said have a nice day,i said..same to you you,you racist B*t*h.

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are the airport officials in Barbados really shady, or do...

I've watched the link, and in my own view American Airlines shouldn't have let them on the plane in the first place, it's their job to check the people onto the plane and they boarded them.....and I suspect that they will receive a heavy fine too for letting them slip through the net. It is also the passenger's responability to make sure they have whatever visa, passports and jab's etc...it's been a couple of years now since US citizen can't just jump on a plane like a bus ride and flash a drivers licence, they have to have a passport like the rest of us.

Denise, if you are planning to go to Barbados...go!! Just make sure you have a passport...my mum was held in Orlando, Florida for 3 hours staring at four walls with the correct paperwork and then released with no explaination as to the reason....and this was ten years ago even before the new fingerprinting and iris thingy now....but it didn't make headline news, I guess it wasn't the "I blame someone else other then me","I will sue you" period then:)

I wouldn't rule out countries by thing's that have been read in the press....in the US press the other week they wanted everyone to boycott Aruba, then CNN ran a video about bird flu "possible high risk" in Kenya cos of the migrating birds, a Brit was shot dead in an attempted robbery in Barbados...but it could all happen on our own doorstep's anyway.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
68 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are the airport officials in Barbados really shady, or do...

I agree with the last post, international travelors are responsible for knowing the requirements for entry into another country. US air has called my contact # a few days before travel to remind me that a passport is necessary to enter Barbados. Please don't let someone else's mishap deter you from visiting a great island. As an African American traveling back home from the Carribbean, I too have encountered ignorant immigration officers, especially if you travel often. I have always been greeted with a smile in Barbados!

Barbados
Level Contributor
609 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Are the airport officials in Barbados really shady, or do...

Hi There

WOW what a story. It sounds a bit strange.I do know that they are supposed to be changing if they have not yet and that passports are supposed to be regulation.

It just sounds strange. I would not let this stop you from visiting Barbados just make sure you have documentation and you will be fine.

I think some people when they get a little power it goes to there head and they do stupid things. I do not know if the report is factual but I do know my country is known for being welcoming to visitors.

USA
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are the airport officials in Barbados really shady, or do...

I am an American citizen and my travel agent told me that all we need to enter Barbados is a valid raised seal birth certificate and driver's license. Here it is Nov 12 and my trip is scheduled for Jan 9. I will never be able to get a passport in time, and it sounds like my wife and I will not be allowed into the country without one. I will lose a lot of money on my prepaid air and hotel trip.

Warsaw, IN
Level Contributor
83 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are the airport officials in Barbados really shady, or do...

Collectallthat, I would try to get a passport ASAP. My husband and I got ours in five weeks. You still have time!!! Plus, you can pay to receive your passport even quicker if you want. You really should try.

Also, you can go the department of state website and register your vacation for free. They will tell you if there are any alerts for where you are staying and just in case there is a problem while on vacation they know where to find and assist you quicker.

Loveland
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are the airport officials in Barbados really shady, or do...

Good for you, Trini! You always show your courage when it's called for!!!

love

Loveland
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are the airport officials in Barbados really shady, or do...

Good for you, Trini! You always show your courage when it's called for!!!

love