We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boscobel Road Toll Bandits.....any updates??

Ontario
Level Contributor
195 posts
Boscobel Road Toll Bandits.....any updates??

Sorry to bring this up but I am going to stay in Bathsheba and take a trip in a hired car to North Point, amongst other places.

So, I have some questions:

Is this still an issue?

Has it gone beyond asking for money?

Is there a route to North Point that would avoid Boscobel?

Liverpool, United...
9 posts
21. Re: Boscobel Road Toll Bandits.....any updates??

This subject really distresses me. A lot of my family live around the corner from this location and I am sick to death of being approached by these wasters. I have also posted a message on barbados free press regarding this issue.

The police must & do know who these scum are & need to deal with it. Before I used one of my uncles car when I went to visit over there...I would hire a car. In Barbados, the registration starts with 'H', obviously meaning hire car. You are a target and they try to stop you by diverting you and saying , "CONSTRUCTION",

DO NOT STOP!!!! and just carry on your journey.

I was just there last November visiting my family around the corner and because I was in a hire vehicle they stood in front of the car. The fat guy and his lemmings got a shock cos I put my foot down and they had to jump out of the way.

They now know that I have family seconds away..and knowing who my family are they now let me pass but if I was a tourist they would have stopped me.

I have my suspicions why this still goes on but if Barbados wants to keep it's tourits then they need to sort it out.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
43 reviews
35 helpful votes
22. Re: Boscobel Road Toll Bandits.....any updates??

I just wrote the government and the PM responded:

"I believe that this matter has been investigated and I have certainly received no other negative reports"

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
33 reviews
12 helpful votes
23. Re: Boscobel Road Toll Bandits.....any updates??

We are leaving at the end of March.

We are renting a car as well.

I hope we do not encounter this...

Who did you write to at the government?

I wonder if Barbados police have dealt with these people.

New York
1 post
24. Re: Boscobel Road Toll Bandits.....any updates??

My wife and I just returned from Barbados. We were shaken down by "Sean" and his friends and paid $10 to pass. (He preferred a "purple note" though.)

He rambled on about how the road was closed, then said something about how there was a nice place to take a photo up ahead, and also mentioned something about the singer Billy Ocean. The verbal delivery of the scam was all over the place.

He actually jumped in the backseat of our Moke for a few minutes, which was a bit frightening. Alas we paid and moved on.

It is indeed still a problem.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
20 reviews
105 helpful votes
25. Re: Boscobel Road Toll Bandits.....any updates??

I'm sorry that happened to you! As you say scary if someone gets in your moke and you really can't do anything about it when you have open sides on your car. I can't believe this is still happening!

Brownsville, Texas
Level Contributor
3,230 posts
71 reviews
88 helpful votes
26. Re: Boscobel Road Toll Bandits.....any updates??

Things sure have changed. I had planned to take my husband up that way in Jun. He's a big man so we might not have too much trouble but still. How sad that people have to deal with this. When I lived there we had some problems with people getting robbed (especially Military when the ships were in port) but I never heard of something such as this.

Sad

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
43 reviews
35 helpful votes
27. Re: Boscobel Road Toll Bandits.....any updates??

For those who are interested, I emailed the office of the Prime Minister, the head of the police and the Ministry of Tourism:

david.thompson@barbados.gov.bb <david.thompson@barbados.gov.bb>; elsa.broome@barbados.gov.bb <elsa.broome@barbados.gov.bb>; barmot@sunbeach.net <barmot@sunbeach.net>

I also sent emails to some northern businesses to let thm know that I would not be visiting them because of this.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
298 posts
109 reviews
96 helpful votes
28. Re: Boscobel Road Toll Bandits.....any updates??

Good for you Chrisb1976,

Please let us know what replies if any you receive.

Brownsville, Texas
Level Contributor
3,230 posts
71 reviews
88 helpful votes
29. Re: Boscobel Road Toll Bandits.....any updates??

I mentioned it to a friend of mine at the US Embassy who happens to live in the Parish over from there and he hadn't heard of it. I plan to contact a few of my other friends at the Embassy and see what I can find out. I like the idea of writing to the Govt and expressing concern. Nothing will happen until someone holds their feet to the fire.

It's sad.

Maidenhead, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
6,333 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
30. Re: Boscobel Road Toll Bandits.....any updates??

""Nothing will happen until someone holds their feet to the fire""

...That 's a little harsh !!!! ..but if it works