We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Beach/Cruise Dock

SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
187 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best Beach/Cruise Dock

Hi We are going on a cruise i.e. P.O. Ventura Feb 2009. We arrive in Barbados on the 13Feb but the ship does not leave Barbados till around 6pm on the 14th. This will give us a full day which we would like to spend on the beach rather than on the ship. Can anyone suggest a nice beach near the cruise ship terminal that we would be able to go to,also we would probably need a taxi to get there are there taxis at the terminal that would drop us of and come back for us at a certain time. Or are there any nice beaches within walking distance from the terminal. Thanks any advice would be most welcome.

Bickington, United...
Level Contributor
257 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Beach/Cruise Dock

There will be plenty of taxis at the cruise terminal.

The two beaches i use whilst cruising are Carlisle bay or Malibu/Brandons beach.Possibly walkable but a taxi would cost less then $5.00 each way per person.Both have visitor attractions at extra cost if you want more facilities.Or you could just walk onto either beach.

SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
187 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Beach/Cruise Dock

Hi Puppydog thanks for your reply.Can you tell me if their are taxis at the beaches you have mentioned or would we be better to arrange for the taxi that drops us there to come back for us.In your opinion which beach is the nicest we would want to be able to get into the sea and if possible do a bit of snorkelling. Thanks again for your help.

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
435 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Beach/Cruise Dock

Not sure about Carlisle bay or Malibu but if you go to Rockey Beach there are plenty of taxis available. Rockley has lots of facilities, bars restaurants and shops across the road. You can rent chairs and umbrellas, it is a very nice beach with lots of shade.

Bickington, United...
Level Contributor
257 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Beach/Cruise Dock

There would be taxis available at all three beaches suggested...Of the three i would pick Carlisle bay..It is beautiful and the closest to the ship.And you could maybe take a stroll back to the cruise terminal along the shore.Accra/Rockey is very nice but further south along the coast.

SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
187 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Beach/Cruise Dock

Thanks to you both for your help. I think that Carlisle Bay sounds best I like the idea that we can possibly walk along the shore road back to the cruise terminal.Would it be safe for us to do this or would it be best to get a taxi back.Also I assume there are sun loungers umbrellas toilets and hopefully a beach bar for a drink that we would be able to use in Carlisle Bay.Sorry if this seems like a daft question to ask but we dont really know much about the area.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Beach/Cruise Dock

WE love The Boatyard. Very close to downtown and the cruise terminal. Taxis are readily available and pretty inexpensive. You pay a set amount to get in and that includes your chairs and you get 2 free drinks. Beach is gorgeous and so it the water. There is also a little store on site if you want to shop. Here is their website if you want to check it out! http://www.theboatyard.com/

We have been there many times and keep going back. Just a great place. They also have a snorkel shack right there so next time we are there we are going to take a trip out to the reefs to do some snorkeling.

Bickington, United...
Level Contributor
257 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Beach/Cruise Dock

If you just want Carlisle bay.With a beach lounger and bar etc.Have the taxi drop you at lobster alive.[next door to the Boatyard]

That way you can hire a lounger and use the bar but you wont have to pay an entrance fee just to use the public beach...Unless of course the Boatyard appeals..

The walk back to the ship will be fine...

SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
187 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Beach/Cruise Dock

Hi Thanks again for the advice. The boatyard certainly looks very nice but I think we will just take the advice that Puppy Dog suggested as we will only really have a short while to relax on the beach so it really would be best for us just to get a lounger beside a nice bar where we would be able to use the fascilities and get a couple of beers. Thanks you have been very helpful.

Jo9
Bristol, England
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Beach/Cruise Dock

The Boatyard especially and Lobster Alive can get very busy when the ships are in.

If you get dropped off by Lobster Alive, go on to the beach and walk slightly up the beach to the left there is Redman bar. It is never busy, run by Doris along with a load of fascinating characters and frequented by the locals if they are passing.

If Linda is working you will also get beach service, so you need never get off your lounger apart from the obligatory cooling off in the beautiful calm blue water.

Just ask them to arrange for a taxi back, we did and someone was there in about ten minutes.

10. Re: Best Beach/Cruise Dock

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, October 14, 2009