We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deep Sea Fishing ...be advised!!

london
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Deep Sea Fishing ...be advised!!

Having always wanted to go Deep sea fishing , Barbados seemed perfect for it , but i was so disappointed.....i went on the IOU boat from bridgetown , its no different from any of the other

boats , they all do the same trip .

$300 baj $ or $150us or £75 for the 4/5 hour trip,

Now if you are a fisherman like me then its all about the bait,cast,feel,nibble,bite,take,strike,hook

then the bump on the line , the playing , the winning , the catch ...............well forget 99% of it.......

they bait the hooks , cast the rods , strike the

fish , sit u in the shark chair , butt the rod , and you wind the fish in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

honestly it was a waste of money and time ....4 people on the boat and only 1 fish , dont go

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,826 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deep Sea Fishing ...be advised!!

I don't really understand this post as surely there is never any guarantee that you will catch anything when you go fishing - surely that is everywhere isn't it!

Could you not have asked to do some of the things you love to do? - I am sure they are doing it for you because not everyone that goes deep sea fishing knows what they are doing and surely you only had to ask...or did you?

Sarah

london
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deep Sea Fishing ...be advised!!

Sure , thats a fact

My point is that very few boats caught fish (as i fish in the harbour for 3 days and watched the boats come in , i caught more in the harbour) , and there was very little enjoyment , as a fisherman (again as i stated) it was disappointing to say the least .

The heading says BE ADVISED , that was also the point.

BY all means go and try ....but BE ADVISED.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

london
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deep Sea Fishing ...be advised!!

Sorry missed answering one of your points !

No you can do those things you love sadly

its a set rule.

Paul

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,856 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deep Sea Fishing ...be advised!!

I'm im agreement with Scary, what's your point? I usually have lunch at Waterfront Cafe on a weekly basis when I'm in Barbados and have gotten to know some of the boat crews and watched the boats returning some days with great amounts of fish, some with less and other days unfortunately with nothing. When I speak with the crews it's obvious that there is a bit of luck or no luck actually when you do not catch something. So much like Scary said there are never any guarantees. So would think that anyone who likes to fish would know that there are days when catching a fish just does not happen.

Best of luck next time.

barbados
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Deep Sea Fishing ...be advised!!

Paul 143,sorry about luck...but there's a bajan proverb which says (every day is fishing day, but every day aint catching day)...sorry buddy but better luck next time.

PMP
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Deep Sea Fishing ...be advised!!

Whilst on holiday on the west coast in Feb two men from our hotel went fishing and came back with two or three big fish - so you can't always tell!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
58 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Deep Sea Fishing ...be advised!!

as someone else stated, the barbadians state:

"its called fichin, not catchin !!"

lol.

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Deep Sea Fishing ...be advised!!

Hi Paul,

I've been deep sea fishing on several occasions.

Was it $150 per person? Seems about average priced for a 1/2 day trip.

All the boats I've chartered come with a captain and a mate. The mate takes care of all the tackle, casting and hauling the fish into the boat once you have reeled it in. Nothing unique to the Barbados situation.

Not sure what you were expecting, but sounds like the norm in your case.

Hey, a bad day fishing still beats a good day at the office...

NY
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Deep Sea Fishing ...be advised!!

I was deep sea fishing on St. John in March. Same deal. Except after trolling for the Big one's for 4.5 hours. The last 1.5 hours or so they took us bait fishing to catch some school fish rather than be skunked. Same thing with the mate doing everything for you.

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Deep Sea Fishing ...be advised!!

Same thing with us but they did explain that certain fish are seasonal & it was unlikely we would catch any of them -- we didn't catch anything at all!Quite nice to see the island from the sea though.