We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pounds or dollars to exchange in Barbados

Scotland
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Topic
pounds or dollars to exchange in Barbados

Does anyone know what the exchange rate for Barbadian dollars is against the pound at the moment.

Trying to work out whether I would be better getting US dollars just now ($1.96) or whether I would be better to just take pounds when we leave.

I was in Barbados in February and used US dollars that I had left from a previous holiday, I certainly liked the idea that the US dollar could be used anywhere without having to go to a bank, but the downside is that when you come home its not worth cashing them in as you make a loss.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
534 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pounds or dollars to exchange in Barbados

This site has it at 3.64 to the £.

www.moneyextra.com/advice/touristrates/

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pounds or dollars to exchange in Barbados

You will almost always get a better rate changing your £s to BD$s if you wait until you get there (if you change it in a bank - it was about 3.98 a few weeks back). It all depends on whether or not a) you want to carry a lot of cash around with you and b) if you can be bothered to go to the bank!

$US are widely accepted, but your change will be given in Bajan.

There are ATMs where you can withdraw local currency, usually the rate of exchange will be excellent, but they will still hit you for the fee (2 or 3% depending on who you bank with).

Scotland
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: pounds or dollars to exchange in Barbados

I will probably wait until I get there and use the pound then. At least I wont be left with unused currency. I was just a bit concerned that the dollar rate might start to drop.

thanks

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pounds or dollars to exchange in Barbados

Good decision Keandra you don't need to use USD just used good old pounds.

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,138 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pounds or dollars to exchange in Barbados

Keanda

I'm heading out on sunday and am in the same dilemma. we already bought a load of USDs to pay for the hotel and car hire when the rate was high, but it seems to be fairly constant now, so I think I am going to just take £s with me for the spending money. Since we go self catering and go to Big Bs a few times, dropping in at the Butterfield bank isn't a big deal for me. I can change a load of £s and stick the $BDS cash in the hotel safe.

Nicky

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pounds or dollars to exchange in Barbados

Don't see the problem, just take US$ then you won't have to go near a bank.

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,138 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: pounds or dollars to exchange in Barbados

JTD

Not sure how much additional cash I need, so would rather not have to pay commission to change something I don't need.

Nicky

southampton england
Level Contributor
486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: pounds or dollars to exchange in Barbados

Just take pounds

Fleet, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: pounds or dollars to exchange in Barbados

credit cards are widely accepted on the island too : )

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: pounds or dollars to exchange in Barbados

I am always surprised at how much this comes up & how many different opinions there are the main thing I think is we are not talking high finance here it's just a bit of spending money for a holiday- £1000 for two weeks maybe a lot of dosh sure but the commission isn't that much & you can use the US anywhere in the world. Don't know about you lot but I've got EC's TT's BDS's Euro's US's - I'm not generally allowed 'actual money' in case I escape but it's nice to look.