We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dreaded Seaweed

Dunstable, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
Dreaded Seaweed

Please could someone post an update of the latest seaweed situation on the south west coast. Travelling next week and can’t find any recent information on the internet. Staying at Sea Breeze Beach House, Maxwell Beach. Many thanks

22 replies to this topic
Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
17,022 posts
32 reviews
19 helpful votes
11. Re: Dreaded Seaweed

https:/…

Barbados Today article - Dreaded Seaweed

Hamilton, Canada
2 posts
12. Re: Dreaded Seaweed

Sheryl,

I really hope it clears before your special day, BUT sometimes crazy things make the marriage stronger. For example when we went to check in for our honeymoon, the hotel said our reservation had been given away and we needed to go elsewhere at 2am. That will be 45 years ago this August and we are still happy together.

I wish you all the best.

Wayne

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
20 reviews
105 helpful votes
13. Re: Dreaded Seaweed

Shery try not to worry August is still quite a while away. Surely if the beach was a mess the hotel would work with you to maybe do the ceremony on a West Coast beach? It might be worth asking the question if they could do that should the need arise. I would head up to Lonestar on Alleynes Bay if it is weedy, book a table and have it there, perfect setting.

Endicott, NY
1 post
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
14. Re: Dreaded Seaweed

Here's a link for a webcam atop the Yellow Bird hotel at St. Lawrence Gap. Their small beach is covered with seaweed. We were there two weeks ago and it had cleared up. Now it's back.

http://iwcpinc.com/beach-st-lawrence/

Edited: 11:03 am, June 21, 2018
London, United...
3 posts
15. Re: Dreaded Seaweed

Thank you for your kind words and will def get in touch with the hotel for a plan B

Littlehampton...
Level Contributor
502 posts
20 reviews
4 helpful votes
16. Re: Dreaded Seaweed

Wow!!

The dreaded seaweed is back with a vengeance this morning at both St Lawence and Accra beaches.

London, United...
3 posts
17. Re: Dreaded Seaweed

Oh dear as much as I feel sorry for myself it’s the local economy and sea life I really feel so sorry for, tourism and fishing I’m sure play such an important part for island life and the impact will start to be felt soon if not already.

2 posts
18. Re: Dreaded Seaweed

Hang in there! Wer’re goin in Sep. it sounds like the Barbados Defence Force is on it. The issue is using heavy equipment on some beaches due to sea turtle nesting. So, it might take some time to clear. Here’s a cool link that tracks the sargassum via satellite. I th ink it’s only updates once a month. I’m drop down menu you can select east or west Barbados. This might help give an idea before traveling.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
17,022 posts
32 reviews
19 helpful votes
19. Re: Dreaded Seaweed

The Govt has recently (2015) purchased 2 Cherington Beach Cleaners - - They will no doubt also be used as they can clean the beach and not injure the nesting endangered sea turtles as the regular equipment could crush their eggs -

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
17,022 posts
32 reviews
19 helpful votes
20. Re: Dreaded Seaweed

More than 1,000 square miles of seaweed have been detected in satellite photos of the Caribbean, three times larger than the 2015 record, according to an analysis by scientists at the University of South Florida’s Optical Oceanography Laboratory.“This year is just extraordinary,” said Chuanmin Hu, professor of optical oceanography at the university

.http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/florida/fl-reg-seaweed-20180619-story.html

sun-sentinel.com/news/florida/fl-reg-seaweed…

Edited: 11:26 am, June 22, 2018
Reply to: Dreaded Seaweed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted