We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!!! Fairmont Royal Pavilion or Colony Club

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
85 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help!!! Fairmont Royal Pavilion or Colony Club

Anyone stay at both and know which is better? Food, Service etc. I've been to Fairmont many times but years ago when it was the Miramar so I'm sure lots have changed.

From my research all I could read was that the beach was better at the Fairmont and all rooms were ocean views which I knew. Never been to Colony Club so I can't compare. The grounds at Colony Club, atleast in pictures, look very tropical and pretty with the meandering lagoon type pool.

We are currently booked at the Colony Club in a Luxury Poolside swim up. The price at Fairmont has dipped whereas it is less than Colony Club but only by $200 total. Fairmont I have to pay upfront so I probably won't pay a conversion fee on my CC making it even less expensive. We leave in 3 weeks so the upfront payment doesn't bother us.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
16,101 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help!!! Fairmont Royal Pavilion or Colony Club

Anne :Penrhos stays at CC - and she will be able to give you a reliable up to date view of that hotel,

I;m amazed that anyone else remembers the old Miramar - FRP is vastly different nowadays -still obviously on beautiful Alleynes Beach (probably the one of the best beaches on the west coast)

Colony Club was originally the old Colonial Club of Barbados - set in many acres of glorious gardens - with its pretty winding pool and waterfall etc - and even though the hotel has been totally modernized it still retains the charm of that bygone era IMHO - and being part of the Elegant Group - the hotel has the used of the dedicated water taxi to take guests to visit the sister hotels on the west coast during the day time.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
85 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help!!! Fairmont Royal Pavilion or Colony Club

Thanks. I remember the Miramar. Some things still look the same. The pool looks like it's the original in the same spot just refurbished and alot nicer. The buildings are the same just modernized. The little Koi ponds are still there in the walkway off the lobby. I did notice though that the piers in the ocean have now deteriorated into concrete rubble though. The main restaurant looks like it's in the same place.

Overall it seems like a modernized, glitzier version.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
16,101 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help!!! Fairmont Royal Pavilion or Colony Club

The Miramar;s pier went many years ago as I remember it - wasn;t in great shape in the '80s and then there were some bad storms and voila - collapse

Think you may find the FRP "grander" - the dining room is rather "palm court" (if you know what i mean)

Beach at CC is not a wide but has some shade trees - FRP one needs parasols (been a while since I was in FRP)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
184 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help!!! Fairmont Royal Pavilion or Colony Club

Returning to the Colony Club for the second time tomorrow, and its certainly beautiful and I would recommend, although can't compare as not stayed at Fairmont

Rhone-Alpes, France
Level Contributor
730 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help!!! Fairmont Royal Pavilion or Colony Club

I'm amazed that the Fairmont is coming out cheaper than C.C. as the luxury poolside room is only one up from the lowest grade. However, it is really very nice, especially if you can get a ground floor room which has a large terrace and swim up type of access rather than coming down steps from a room above off the balcony and using the same access. There are 2 blocks of luxury poolside rooms, both with their own narrow pools running alongside. There are also 2 good sized freeform pools, one near the back of the grounds and one beside the decked area beside the beach - a great spot for happy hour drinks (2 hrs) watching the sunset and when the surrounding torches are lit it's really lovely.

You are right, the grounds at C.C. are extremely pretty with winding pathways, and have been beautifully and imaginatively landscaped, bearing in mind that the 'footprint' of C.C. is smaller than Fairmont or Coral Reef next door.

You ask which is the 'better' hotel, most people would say Fairmont but it all depends what you want. I have never stayed at the Fairmont and only visited it once, and I have to say I was a bit disappointed, it didn't have any charm at all, not for me at any rate. However, of course the beach is fabulous and there would be plenty of room and of course lovely to have a direct view of the sea and no doubt much improved since you were there. I haven't eaten there but just visited friends who were staying there and they seemed very satisfied, I also chatted to some C.C. guests who had dined at the Fairmont the previous day and thought it excellent.

The 'luxury' poolside rooms at C.C.are fairly close to the beach but have no view of the sea at all just the lovely gardens and are very quiet. We stayed in once and occasionally a monkey would appear on our terrace!

The beach at C.C. is also very pretty as it's lined partly with Casuarina trees but there can be an issue with sun beds with shade - but I would imagine in June, as it's not the busy season, there wouldn't be a problem. We go in November when the hotel is fairly full but I've usually managed to find a sunbed with shade without getting up at the crack of drawn, I just go down immediately after breakfast.

The atmosphere at C.C. is very relaxed and we find the staff really friendly. It's nice to be able to visit some of the other hotels using their free water taxi. I know I sound biased towards C.C., it ticks all the boxes for me but I know there are others who prefer the Fairmont - and it's usually a lot more expensive. I hope they reply to your question so you can make a more informed choice. I seem to remember it's your husband's 50th so I hope you are really pleased with whichever you choose and have a great time.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
85 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help!!! Fairmont Royal Pavilion or Colony Club

Thanks everyone. I think we are going to stay. We'll make new memories together as a couple since I have my own old memories of the Fairmont as Miramar. Yes Anne, it is his 50th. I have to post a pic of the cake I had made for him. I almost forgot to do that. I'll post it under the original thread if I can figure out how to do that.

Rhone-Alpes, France
Level Contributor
730 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help!!! Fairmont Royal Pavilion or Colony Club

I'm sure you won't be disappointed Alpharetta. Another advantage of staying there is it's closer to Holetown, easily walkable (not recommended after dark) but be careful of the first 100 metres or so which has no pavement/sidewalk, the road is busy and the buses don't hang around! Or you could walk to Holetown along the beach where you have Surfside beach bar. You also have Coral Reef next door just a few steps along the beach which you can walk to for a drink or dinner in the evening.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help!!! Fairmont Royal Pavilion or Colony Club

I'm actually at the Fairmont RP right now. It's fabulous... lovely beach with great sand and great clear turquoise water. All rooms are Oceanview. It's a smaller hotel; and has a high return rate. There are a lot of British people staying here. I've never stayed at the Colony Club but I'm quite happy here. Food is good, and staff is amazingly friendly and makes you feel special. The hotel is right on the beach (only 3 stories) and quite secluded so if that's what you are looking for, come here. They also have monkeys. (honest, I saw one yesterday)...

Edited: 6:44 pm, May 19, 2017
ny
Level Contributor
327 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help!!! Fairmont Royal Pavilion or Colony Club

Rooms at the Fairmont are due for a refurb, and the base rate doesn't include breakfast. Colony Club was recently renovated, and the rates include breakfast.

London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help!!! Fairmont Royal Pavilion or Colony Club

I like the beach at the Fairmont better, plus sunbeds can be an issue at Colony Club , there just are not enough.