We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Schooner Bay or Glitter Bay???

Stamford...
Level Contributor
318 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Schooner Bay or Glitter Bay???

Trying to decide which place to stay. Looking for a place on a nice beach (long enough for walking) and great restaurants. We'll be renting a car, so we don't have to be within walking distance of anything. How is the condition of Glitter Bay? That was there when I was on my honeymoon 32 years ago. Schooner Bay looks really nice, but wondering if the beach there is very rocky. I've also heard Speightstown reminded them of "the South Bronx" (for those in the NY area know what I'm talking about). Can anyone suggest a good 2 bedroom villa, on the beach for about $400-$500/night? Thx!!!

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Schooner Bay or Glitter Bay???

I luv Schooner Bay. I admit never stayed in Glitter Bay. The beach a bit to the right of the Schooner Bay is absolutely perfect for swimming. No rocks there, a recent addition is a small artificial reef. In low season you may find a two bedroom villa there within your budget. In high season, no chance. I like Speightstown as it is far less busy than Holetown. Having said that, we always rent a car for the duration of our stay and pop to Holetown every now and then.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
318 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Schooner Bay or Glitter Bay???

thanks Monika...very helpful. We are planning an end-of-May trip, and I do have my eye on a two bedroom at Schooner Bay that I really like.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
16,110 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Schooner Bay or Glitter Bay???

Glitter Bay as you know, is on beautiful Alleynes Beach.... many folks think its the best beach on the west coast.....

Yes Speightstown is more of "olde world" Barbados - fewer bars and restaurants than Holetown - but with a car you have all the lovely west coast dining venues within easy commute

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Schooner Bay or Glitter Bay???

Joanne, end of May is perfect. We've just booked our 4th stay at Schooner Bay in May. The landscape gardens are wonderful, and I've never seen so many hummingbirds! But Speightstown is low key and fairly quiet. There are a few bars and restaurants within a walking distance from Schooner Bay. But there are no water sports on the beach. Really depends on what you're after.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
318 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Schooner Bay or Glitter Bay???

thanks Monika......that actually sounds great. This won't be our first time to Barbados, but it has been quite awhile since our last trip (our first was our honeymoon 32 years ago at Cobblers Cove) and have been back 2 more times since then, but our last trip was probably 10 years ago and we stayed on the South Coast, which we didn't like as much as the West Coast! We don't need watersports on the beach - but will definitely be booking some kind of snorkel catamaran trip, for sure! I'm looking forward to hearing the beautiful sound of the evening tree frogs again! For the past 10 years we've been mostly spending time in Turks and Caicos and looking forward to seeing Barbados again.

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Schooner Bay or Glitter Bay???

Joanne, are you booking the villa directly with the owner or via an agency? I think Altman's look after a number of villas there. Perhaps have a look at their website and compare the prices

www.altmanbarbados.com

Otherwise contact one of the owners (Jan) and check if her villa is available

www.schoonerbaybarbados.com

Either way don't be shy and ask for a discount on the accommodation and any rate already offered. It's low season after all. Even extra 10% is handy.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
318 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Schooner Bay or Glitter Bay???

I've been looking at WhereToStay.com. Unit #401 Electra caught my eye. Can that unit be booked directly with Jan???

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Schooner Bay or Glitter Bay???

Jan only owns unit 106, I think it's 2 bedrooms. Altmans are a local agency and look after the majority of rentals at Schooner Bay. Also maybe worth checking VRBO

www.vrbo.com

Find out if a house keeper is included in the daily rate or if it's extra. Different villas are managed differently.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
318 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Schooner Bay or Glitter Bay???

thank you! all your great advice is appreciated...and who knows...we may see you in May!!!

MA
Level Contributor
253 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Schooner Bay or Glitter Bay???

We're going to Glitter Bay next month for our 4th visit, will be staying in our 3rd condo there. I honestly can't think of anything negative to say about the place.

The property is beautiful and well maintained. The 2 units we've stayed in (2 bedroom penthouses for 2 couples) have been spacious, nicely appointed and provided plenty of outdoor space. Because the bedrooms are on separate floors, there's plenty of room to spread out and privacy. There's a small restaurant that serves lunch and cocktails all day, closing after sunset. There's also a nice pool.

The beach can't be matched and you are assigned your lounge chairs for the duration of your visit so there's no rushing to get a spot on the beach. There is some pretty good snorkeling right at the property. You can walk a short distance down the beach to where the catamarans stop to swim with turtles so you can easily swim out to them from the beach. Also, it's an easy walk down the beach to Lonestar, Jujus, Santi, and the Fairmont. Walk in the other direction and walk past some of the most beautiful houses you'll ever see.

The bus stops just outside the gates and takes you into Holetown in less than 10 minutes.

You won't be sorry if you choose Glitter Bay!

(and did I mention there are monkeys on the property?!)