We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pompano Beach vs Fairmont Southhampton

Which Southampton Parish hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ma
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pompano Beach vs Fairmont Southhampton

I am vacationing w/ my daughter and her high school girlfriend in late Aug. They are in their mid twenties. I am very flexible, but wanted some input as to where there would be more nightlife for them when choosing the resort. I haven't been to Bermuda since the late seventies and remember things are pretty quiet at night.

USA
Level Contributor
27,363 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pompano Beach vs Fairmont Southhampton

You're trying to compare '..apples-to-oranges..'...each perfectly fine 'fruit' in their own way...but substantively different.

The FAIRMONT SOUTHAMPTON HOTEL is a large (the largest in Bermuda) full-service, resort hotel and business meeting/convention property with several on-premises restaurants and lounges, an 'exutive length' golf course, beachclub and perhaps the best spa in Bermuda. Of the two, The FSH will have more evening events, activities and entertainment.

POMPANO BEACH CLUB is s small, more intimate, beachfront, Bermuda '..cottage colony..' with wonderful amenities, lovely beach with quiet, almost dead/flat calm water and a fine spot for most watersports. PBC also offers a reciprocal '..dine around..' arrangement with The Reefs Hotel and Cambridge Beaches--some of the best dining rooms in Bermuda.

So which property suits your personal preferences, priorities, special needs, etc. will depend largely on what sort of '..experience..' you're lookin' for. From a strictly personal perspective, I've always felt that in Bermuda, smaller was if not better...then certainly more properly '..Bermudian..'.

Edited: 1:50 pm, June 16, 2011
Philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pompano Beach vs Fairmont Southhampton

I have stayed at both hotels over the years. Pompano is very quiet at night; they have a bar with nightly entertainment but it is really geared towards an older crowd. The Southampton has several restaurants and bars with a whole lot more activity! The Swizzle Inn also has a location near the Southampton which the young people would enjoy. It's only a short cab ride from the Southampton.

USA
Level Contributor
27,363 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pompano Beach vs Fairmont Southhampton

Either the SWIZZLE INN--South Shore pub-- http://www.swizzleinn.com/locations.php --or HENRY VIII Restaurant & Pub-- http://www.henrys.bm/ --will have nightly '..pub entertainment..' most evenings, beginning after the dinner service (9:30-10:00 PM) and though these pubs are closer to the FSH...they are still only a couple/few minutes taxi ride farther from PBC so as to make little or no difference. For that matter, the FSH is only a short (few minutes) taxi ride from the PBC for the evening entertainments there in their lounge...so the FSH entertainment is also available to you.

London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pompano Beach vs Fairmont Southhampton

The Pompano IS very quiet at night!

Monmouth County,NJ
Destination Expert
for Southampton Parish
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pompano Beach vs Fairmont Southhampton

If I were traveling with high school "children", I would opt for the Fairmont Southampton...more action....easy to get around to other parts of the island...easy to get to Hamilton...more beaches to explore close by. If I were traveling with hubby, friends...I would opt for Pompano...hand down...although maybe it would depend upon how much and what kind of "nightlife" you want.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pompano Beach vs Fairmont Southhampton

Having stayed at both I kind of prefer Pompano. After a long day of exploring the island we are usually too exhausted to party it up at night and enjoy the peace and quiet that Pompano offers. But in your case with teenagers perhaps the Southampton Princess would be more suited.

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
666 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pompano Beach vs Fairmont Southhampton

it seems people are misunderstanding your post and think you are going with high schoolers. the girls are high school friends who are in their mid-twenties. even so fairmont would probably be better for them even though pompano is a better place.

USA
Level Contributor
27,363 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pompano Beach vs Fairmont Southhampton

Given that..."...my daughter and her high school girlfriend....are in their mid twenties..."...they aren't exactly children...and perfectly capable of looking after and fending for themselves. If the greater amount of nightlife available at the Fairmont Southampton Hotel (or nearby Henry VIII or Swizzle Inn pubs...or the clubs and pubs of downtown Hamilton or Dockyard) they can always take a taxi.

This is evidently an extended 'mother/daughter/old friends' trip and once again, it comes down to the sort of '..experience..' that you all want from the trip. You can have BOTH the more intimate, charming, Bermuda '..cottage colony..' experience at PBC....with more active nightlife alternatives in the evenings (FSH, Swizzle Inn, Henry VIII, etc.) a short taxi ride away.

Monmouth County,NJ
Destination Expert
for Southampton Parish
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pompano Beach vs Fairmont Southhampton

oh...I got it wrong....the kids are "mid-twenties"...they can taxi to anywhere on the island. I thought they were younger....my bad! Then...I would opt for Pompano...hands down!

Ma
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Pompano Beach vs Fairmont Southhampton

thanks for all the input..truly appreciated