We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pompano or The Reefs

Maplewood, New...
Level Contributor
247 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Pompano or The Reefs

Trying to make a decison between Pompano or The Reefs.

We are having a small intimate wedding, about 6 guests, and want to choose soon. Room/Suite quality, service, food, and beach or very important to us. Any advise on which one and why would be so appreciated. Thanks

USA
Level Contributor
28,372 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pompano or The Reefs

Between The Reefs and Pompano Beach Club, there is little in the way of substantive difference in the quality of the properties. BOTH are quite good....and a preference for either will come down almost entirely on a strictly '..personal preference...' basis. If there is a quantative difference between the two properties then the edge must go to The Reefs, with three(3) distinctly different, on-premises dining options--Grill 56 (indoor restaurant), OCEAN ECHO TERRACE (tented terrace dining on the cliffs above) and COCONUTS (decked dining just above sand & surf. There is also a fourth option in that The Reefs does four or five special, tiki-torch-lit, table set-up right down on the beach (weather permitting). Eithe ris a great spot for a wedding but the additional dining options might make for a more varied experieince for your guests during their stay.

Maplewood, New...
Level Contributor
247 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pompano or The Reefs

Thank you very much.

Any other opinions or suggestions regarding the room/suite comparisons?

I've just learned that The Reefs has a 5 night minimum (no exceptions). This is a problem for our guests that are only staying 3 nights. Because we will have a couple of young "adults", we don't want them too far from where we are staying.

So far we are considering staying at The Reefs, with our guests at either Pompano, or the Wyndam.

Any other suggestions, please advise..........

USA
Level Contributor
391 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pompano or The Reefs

if you choose Pompano ask for the deluxe ocean front rooms. the balconys just hang over the water! we stayed in room #11 a few years back and it was heaven. very private balcony and you felt like you were on a cruise ship with the ocean right below and in front of you!

Depending on the time of year....i think Pompano has a 4 nite minimum. and right next door , on the other side of the golf course , is a cottage colony hotel but the name escapes me. i'll do some research and get back to you. i don't think it would be as $$ as Pompano.

Bonnie

USA
Level Contributor
391 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pompano or The Reefs

ok, just checked and the place i was referring to is Munro Beach Cottage. rates are appx $255 for an ocean view cottage for 1 to 2 people. and its a 3 nite minimum! the cottages have kitichens too! the web address is www.munrobeach.com.

i checked Pompano's web site and could not see any minimums for rooms.........

Good luck in your choice! When are you getting married?

Bonnie

USA
Level Contributor
28,372 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pompano or The Reefs

>>>I've just learned that The Reefs has a 5 night minimum (no exceptions). This is a problem for our guests that are only staying 3 nights. Because we will have a couple of young "adults", we don't want them too far from where we are staying.So far we are considering staying at The Reefs, with our guests at either Pompano, or the Wyndam.<<<

The Wyndham Bermuda Resort is only a few short steps (no more than 200 yards from front door-to-front door) away (the two properties abut...with guests of The Reefs using the tennis courts of the Wyndham) would be the most convenient hotel to The Reefs. Pompano Beach, to the west isn't really all that much closer to The Reefs (in practical terms--3-5 minutes more travel time) than might be any of the other south shore hotels to the east (Marley Beach Cottages, Surfside, CoCo Reef, Elbow Beach, Horizons & Cottages, Harmony Club, etc) and would locate your guests closer to downtown Hamilton for other activities and conveniences.

Maplewood, New...
Level Contributor
247 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pompano or The Reefs

Thank you all for your help.

Bonnie, thank you. We are getting married July 2006. It seems my last post was grouped in with another response???

I like the breakfast/dinner deal at Pompano. That would make things a lot more easier for my fiance and I, since we are financing the costs for 2 of our guests. I'm just concerned about the distance between The Reefs(looks like we're staying there), and Pompano (guests). Again, if it were not for the 5 night minimum at the Reefs, we would all be staying there. Our guests are only staying 3 nights.

A solution would be for us to also stay at Pompano. Personally, since this is our wedding/moon, we just like The Reefs better for us. Maybe Pompano would be just as nice as The Reefs for our weddingmoon. What do you think?

USA
Level Contributor
391 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pompano or The Reefs

well, since i am biased about Pompano its hard to be objective! lol! we just love the hotel, people and location.

We have seen many wedding moon couples and they have been very happy with their choice. Plus did you look at the Munro cotages next door? that is not too $$ esp. if you are paying for some guests. and getting back and forth would be very easy. and i am sure Larry Lamb(owner) would work out dining for the guests off property. also for large groups they set up a large table that is "yours" for bkfst. and dinner for the duration of your stay which makes it easier for everyone!

on the other hand, we have freinds who only stay at the Reefs and they love it as much as we do Pompano so I'd say either hotel would meet yoiur needs for you and your hubby to be. plus with choosing the Reefs, as pointed out, the Wyndom is right next door and that is convienent for the other guests.

Good luck on your choice! and July is a great time to get married. our anniversay is July 18th so we always go at that time!

Bonnie

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
380 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pompano or The Reefs

Ther is not substantial differnece between the properties (The Reefs - Pompano) listed. It is a personal choice as both are wonderful and could serve all your needs/wishes equally well.

Pompano is a cottage colony - you and guests could stay on same property and yet in totally different areas. I would personally recommend Dophin House for you and your honey -asthese are the most wonderful rooms and views, and absolutely perfect for the wedding/moon experience you are seeking. (WE spent our honeymoon there years ago - nothing better.) The management there is fabulous too - nothing is too great a request for them to fill. So.....although I too like The Reefs.....Pompano sounds like a better accommodation for your needs.

Maplewood, New...
Level Contributor
247 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pompano or The Reefs

You all have been great. I think I have what I need. I am stuck on Pompano AND The Reefs. It comes down to one or the other, or one AND the other(for guests).

If my hubby to be and I choose Pompano, I think the best rooms are the Deluxe(for us). If we choose The Reefs, it will be the Horizon Suite(for us). Our guests will be fine with the superior rooms, at Pompano. I guess I haven't looked at other properties yet since I like Pompano & The Reefs both, and in a way with the guests at Pompano, it feels like I'm getting both.

I do intend on checking out the other locations that you guys mentioned, in case they are cheaper. I doubt it though, since breakfast and dinner are included in Pompano's rates, it's not too bad. Anyway, we still have some time before we have to book, so if you have any other suggestions I certainly welcome them.

Thank you all again,

Sharon

Level Contributor
623 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Pompano or The Reefs

We were staying at the Reefs this past July. We heard there was going to be a wedding at Caso's Point, a decked area The Reefs had built especially for weddings and other social gatherings. We decided to check it out, from a discreet distance. It was lovely. Then the bridal couple and their witnesses walked to the beach below Coconuts for their wedding photos. I'm sure they sere spectacular, the sun was setting and the cloud formations, breathtaking.

I'm a Reefs afficianado and recommended the property every chance I get. Whatever you choose, best wishes.

Someone mentioned the tennis courts at the Wyndham, after the hurricane in 2004 they are now covered with about a six inches of sand. When were were there, there was some construction equipment around the area and a member of The Reefs grounds crew said they were going to build something there. I presume he meant on the existing tennis courts. I never did follow through, but as my room faced the Wyndham tennis courts, I did see they were definitely out of service.