We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elbow Beach Hotel

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Elbow Beach Hotel

Can someone please tell me about the Elbow Beach Hotel. I am going in August and will be taking my wife and son (2 years). I have booked a Premium Garden View Room which is advertised on the website as a renovated room. How is the beach? Clean hotel? Location? Kid Friendly? I have read posts on ALL of the hotels in Bermuda and seems that bugs are a big problem, specifically ants and COCKROACHES.

Any info on the resort would be most helpful.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
380 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elbow Beach Hotel

This hotel is on one of the most beautiful stretches of beach in Bermuda - you will love it! The hotel is a large hotel, and has always had a good reputation with clean well appointed rooms and good service. It is located in Paget on South Road, from which you can easily access the bus and head into Hamilton or out to west end of island. Well, being a semi-tropical location (Bermuda) there are bugs, yes. There are large Palmetto bugs from the Palmetto trees, and ants will appear quickly if you drop food crumbs on the patio or balcony, soa word to the wise on that. Enjoy your stay!

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
666 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elbow Beach Hotel

I love, love, love Elbow Beach!! It is my favorite place in the world and I have been to many islands. My opinion only, but I prefer it to all other Bermuda beaches.

As far as the hotel goes, most complaints come from the rooms that are not renovated. The renovated room are supposed to be really nice. As far as bugs, you could get those anywhere in Bermuda, no more at Elbow than anywhere else on the island. The food is very expensive, so even if you have a MAP plan, you will spend a lot for lunch, so be prepared. But that also is pretty much the whole island.

If you check out www.divebermuda.com and click on Elbow Beach, it will tell you about some of the water rentals, kayaks, boogie boards, aqua cycles, etc. they have right on the beach.

You could not be in a better location. You are centrally located and about a 10 minute ride from town.

I brought my daughter to Elbow Beach when she was around 10 yrs. old. She was in heaven. If your son likes the beach, you can't go wrong. This time of year you should find a lot of families at Elbow.

It is so hard to remember what a 2 year old likes. Maybe the aquarium?

USA
Level Contributor
28,331 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elbow Beach Hotel

>>>Can someone please tell me about the Elbow Beach Hotel. I am going in August and will be taking my wife and son (2 years). I have booked a Premium Garden View Room which is advertised on the website as a renovated room. How is the beach? Clean hotel? Location? Kid Friendly? I have read posts on ALL of the hotels in Bermuda and seems that bugs are a big problem, specifically ants and COCKROACHES<<<

I'm not sure that bugs are all that much of a problem on Bermuda...or at least anymore of a problem than they might be in any tropical or semi-tropical location. Hotels like the Elbow Beach have regular, on-going insect and pest control programs...but in a resort this large, there are bound to be the occasional gap in the treatment coverage. Though the large black instects that one occasionally sees on Bermuda are a member of the '..roach..' family, these are '..Palmetto Bugs..' and quite common to any tropical or sub-tropical location with a lot of vegetation (Carolinas, Florida, Gulf Coast, etc). They are big, black and 'prehistoric' in appearance and even in the most carefully 'treated' buildings, these creatures will occasionally find their way in. Their presence does not necessarily indicate any lack of proper or adequate '..hygene..'. It is a good idea though that if you spill a drink on your room's patio or deck, that you rinse the residue off with fresh water and that you not leave open food or snack containers around the premises. Even with the best preventative treatment in the world, these creatures will find them. The small buildings/cottage your room will be located in will be in the middle of the lushly tropical landscaped ground of the hotel. I would be surprised (shocked) if you didn't seen a Palmetto bug or two around your patio from time to time.

For location, the Elbow Beach Hotel is on the #7--Hamilton-Via Soth Shore-Dockyard (**NOT** #7 Hamilton-Barnes Corners) public bus route and will be 15 minutes from downtown Hamilton by bus...15 minutes to Horseshoe Bay, 45 mins to Dockyard. one or more taxis are almost always wating at the lobby doors. There will be a 150-200 yards walk along the hotel's entrance drive to the #7 public bus stop out on the South Road. You can get some idea of the public bus and ferry routes and travel times around Bermuda by checking the information at the TRANSPORT web site---

http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt

Elbow Beach is one of the prettiest beaches on Bermuda...a long (approx 2 miles) wide strand of sand and mild/moderate surf and well suited to parents with small children. Their beach club has Mickey's Bistro-on-the-Beach, bathrooms and changing facilities and fresh water showers. The hotel has gold cart and shuttle services up and down the hill from the main hotel building. The hotel will be as '..kid friendly..' as any for children with RESPONSIBLE PARENTS.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Elbow Beach Hotel

Thank you all for your information. I really appreciate it. I figured that most of the complaints of cockroaches were folks running into Palmetto bugs. In a tropical setting these are to be expected. Thank you for the information on the Elbow Beach Hotel, your posts have eased my anxieties. Thanks again.

East Islip, New York
Level Contributor
439 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Elbow Beach Hotel

Are ther ebetter buildings than others to stay in as far as view go? I will probably be looking at a premier Ocean View room (renovated)

Also, I cannot find any pricing on the MAP...just room only rates....

Thanks for any info!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Elbow Beach Hotel

From what I hear anything less than a Premium Garden or Oceanview room would be a mistake. Sounds like the unrenovated rooms are pretty bad. I read on a few posts here that the Honeysuckle building is nice. When are you going? I am going third week in August.

East Islip, New York
Level Contributor
439 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Elbow Beach Hotel

I am actually not going until July 2007! I haven't even booked a room yet, it is too early. I am torn between Elbow Beach and a smaller cottage colony like Cambridge or the Reefs! I guess there are pros and cons to everything. We have never been to Bermuda before and are thinking that maybe a full service larger hotel is the way to go the first time (?)

I have about 2 more months to decide. The other factor is that The Reefs has a 5 night minimum and we were only coming for 4 nights...their best deal is actually a 6 night package. We just can't eave the kids for that long!

Let me know how your stay was when you get back in August. I also have neighbors who are going to Pompano in August. I will keep you posted on that as well!

Have fun, I am sure it is going to be gorgeous!

T

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Elbow Beach Hotel

Teresa....

We stayed at The Reefs....but actually toured the grounds one day after we ate at Mickey's.....

They are absolutely gorgeous....in fact, we took several pictures of the grounds, and the beach looks wonderful too.....a very long stretch....probably goes on for miles, from what I could see.

Deb

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Elbow Beach Hotel

I mean, we toured the grounds of Elbow Beach Resort.....

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Elbow Beach Hotel

Deb58, do you happen to have any of these pictures available to view? Understand if you don't want to show them but just thought I would ask. Let me know if you do, if you do show them my email address is Randiesel@aol.com. Thanks in advance.