We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pants or shorts this time of year?

NY
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Pants or shorts this time of year?

This is my first time to Bermuda...I don't want to overpack. Weatherwise do you think I'll be wearing more shorts or pants? Should I bring a light jacket and sweater? Will the ocean be warm enough to go snorkeling? Thanks for any input.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Pants or shorts this time of year?

All of the above.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,312 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pants or shorts this time of year?

so water temps aren't bad but it can be chilly for us land lizards?

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,602 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pants or shorts this time of year?

My husband used to wear his "Bermuda Shorts " to work 12 months of the year

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pants or shorts this time of year?

right now it's warm enough for shorts n t in the day, you might want a light jacket at night. water temperature is around 72f. some people don't mind it after a few minutes, others think it's too chilly.

Mesa, Arizona
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pants or shorts this time of year?

I was in Bermuda two weeks ago. The weather is perfect for shorts and short sleeve shirts, it's not even chilly in the morning, with the humidity rising as it does this time of year. The water was PERFECT for swimming when I swam out in the waters of Elbow Beach, with only a minute for the body to adjust to it's slight chill, BUT WATCH OUT FOR PORTUGESE MAN-OF-WAR, they swarm the waters around Bermuda this season, but if you see a funny looking plastic bag floating atop the water, just wade away from it, or become a victim of the STING. The stings are very painful!!!

Mesa, Arizona
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pants or shorts this time of year?

I was in Bermuda two weeks ago. The weather is perfect for shorts and short sleeve shirts, it's not even chilly in the morning, with the humidity rising as it does this time of year. The water was PERFECT for swimming when I swam out in the waters of Elbow Beach, with only a minute for the body to adjust to it's slight chill, BUT WATCH OUT FOR PORTUGESE MAN-OF-WAR, they swarm the waters around Bermuda this season, but if you see a funny looking plastic bag floating atop the water, just wade away from it, or become a victim of the STING. The stings are very painful!!!

NY
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pants or shorts this time of year?

Travis G - is your post a joke or something? What is PORTUGESE MAN-OF-WAR?

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Pants or shorts this time of year?

They are no joke, especially if you get stung. They are a type of jellyfish.

USA
Level Contributor
28,262 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pants or shorts this time of year?

As noted above, a PORTUGUESE MAN-O-WAR (Blue Bottle) is a sorta' jellyfish that floats on the water, with long, stinging tentacles, driven by wind and current. They're an OCCASIONAL problem at Bermuda's beaches. The '..sail..' is an irridescent blue. The toxic tentacles can stretch to a few feet. The irridescent blue 'sail' can usually be spotted at a distance but even when these creatures occasionally wash up on shore, the tentacles can stretch out across the sand for some distance and still possess sufficient toxin to badly '..sting..' if touched or trod on by bare skin....which ain't the least bit pleasant. So if you see one floating on the water or washed up ashore on a beach...give 'em a wide berth.

aquaviews.net/wp-content/…Man-O-War.jpg

https:/…man-o-war.jpg

Mesa, Arizona
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Pants or shorts this time of year?

Since we're talking about wildlife on the island. Also beware of wandering into thick vegetation at night. Bermuda has SNAKES! Even though websites say there are no snakes on the island, we had a confrontation with a garden snake near a rocky ledge one night on a road incline going up a hill in St. George. My friend had almost put his hand on a snake, thinking it a piece of rebar sticking out of a concrete wall, and the snake rose its head ready to strike. Pretty large and lanky snake too! So don't go adventuring into the forests or thick vegetation at night. Also there's BIG bugs on the island too that come out at night. We saw a huge beetle, probably a Stag, almost two hands length, come out of a cedar tree, at sundown and just sit there on the center bark, waiting for a meal I guess.