We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nickel/dimed at Fairmont Hamilton Princess

AL
Level Contributor
205 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
nickel/dimed at Fairmont Hamilton Princess

We are planning our first visit to Bermuda. Booking a hotel/flight package. I'm reading trip reports, the forum and other sites.

Someone said they were nickel and dimed. Another said the Fairmont Hamilton Princess added fees to their bill at check out.

What addition fees should we expect?

Thanks

USA
Level Contributor
28,010 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nickel/dimed at Fairmont Hamilton Princess

Had the original Hamilton Princess reviewer bothered to take the time or make the effort to read the published and clearly delineated '..ROOM RATE INFORMATION SUMMARY ( http://tinyurl.com/ygj2c5x ) for the FAIRMONT hotels in Bermuda before booking (or any time thereafter), they would've quickly, easily and quite plainly discoverd that the hotels add the 7.25% Bermuda Hotel Tax (charged by ALL hotels & guest accommodations in Bermuda) plus its own fixed $9.65 person/per ngt. '..Resort Levy..' and a $10.20 per person/ per ngt. '..Gratuity..' to the room rates. Just about every hotel and guest accommodation in Bermuda now adds a 10% (or near equivalent amount) as a Service Charge/Gratuity to their published room rates.

The original reviewer wasn't "..nickeled and dimed..". They were either lazy(?)...stupid(?)...or both (?) If I were betting...I'd put my money on '..both..'. It ain't exactly '..rocket surgery..'.

Edited: 10:25 pm, April 07, 2010
Ottawa
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nickel/dimed at Fairmont Hamilton Princess

Hi - I just read your reply - very informative!

So - silly question: Does one tip above and beyond the service charge (the Gratuity charge)?

I'm just wondering as I'm going soon and staying at the Fairmont and want to know what to expect and what to tip, etc.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

USA
Level Contributor
28,010 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nickel/dimed at Fairmont Hamilton Princess

All of the restaurant and bar bills at the Hamilton Princess (and most--but not all--other restaurants and bars in Bermuda) will already have a Gratuity added (17% at the Fairmont Southampton and Princess hotels).

Tipping is the '..black hole..' of travel advise---lots goes in...but nothing useful ever seems to come out. It is entirely your perogative whether or not to leave any additional amount beyond that which has already been added to the check. Personal custom and practice dictate. I MAY occasionally leave some additional amount IF there is some reason to. But bear in mind that if you simply look at a total amount at the bottom of a check and leave 15% additional...you may in fact be leaving the equivalent of a 35% tip. So always take a look at the bill to see whether a Gratuity has been added.

Fort Pierce, Florida
Level Contributor
37 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nickel/dimed at Fairmont Hamilton Princess

Bermuda, like most other destinations, has found that it pays to not mention additional costs and then add them on at checkout. This is a dispicable practice, but Bermuda hotels are not alone in doing it. On a recent three day stay, I found about 25% was added to my bill without my knowledge or advance notice. Most of this was "Resort fees" which Iwas told were added bythe Island government, but no way to prove it.

Pembroke
Level Contributor
721 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: nickel/dimed at Fairmont Hamilton Princess

This same 'despicable' practice happened to me all over the US, wherever I went. They just added in sale tax without telling me anything!

In case you can't tell my tone, I'm being sarcastic. I don't mean to be rude but there's nothing 'despicable' about it. I think it's only common sense to find out what you're paying and to pay attention to such details and ask questions.

And yes- there is a 10% service charge and a 7.25% Government tax added on to hotel bills.

Toronto
Level Contributor
286 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nickel/dimed at Fairmont Hamilton Princess

Fairmont restaurant and bar bills come with the 17% “service charge” included and there’s no space to add extra tip. You just print your name and room number and sign. The only way to give extra tip is to use cash. Bills at other restaurants include the gratuity, but also leave space for you to fill the extra tip. The gratuity charged is not the same everywhere (e.g. Henry VIII charges 15%).

USA
Level Contributor
28,010 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: nickel/dimed at Fairmont Hamilton Princess

>>>The gratuity charged is not the same everywhere (e.g. Henry VIII charges 15%).<<<

...and the Swizzle Inn locations do not add a gratuity to their checks,,,,.so even though the practice is relatively common these days--in Bermuda as elsewher--one still needs to check the check.

As for '..extra charges..' added to bills in the form of government mandated taxes and fees, individual establishment service,and/or resort fees, as well as a gratuity...these have been '..common practice..' and widely applied within the airline, travel and hospitality industries for so long that one finds it difficult to believe that anyone (other than Keebler elves, who spend their lives in a tree trunk bakin' cookies) haven't encountered them before.....And even if one hasn't, these taxes and fees can be easily checked and confirmed prior to booking from a property's published rates by the simple expedient of looking or asking.

IOM
Level Contributor
305 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: nickel/dimed at Fairmont Hamilton Princess

So, at the Fairmont, if you have dinner and put the bill, including 17% service charge, onto your hotel bill, when you come to check out, do they charge you a service charge on top of the dinner bill that already includes service charge?

Pembroke
Level Contributor
721 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: nickel/dimed at Fairmont Hamilton Princess

No- the 7.25% government tax and 10% service charge I was referring to applies to the room rate only, not incidentals.

Mass
Level Contributor
104 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: nickel/dimed at Fairmont Hamilton Princess

How much are the drink strips at the Fairmont Princess? Also, is there a bus that will take you to the Fairmont Southampton?