We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we go to Bermuda?

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
98 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Should we go to Bermuda?

My husband and I have a RCI reservation to stay at The St. George's Resort this Sept. and are now having second thoughts about it after seeing some bad reviews. One of the recent reviews said that the units were moldy, dirty and run down. Also said the pool was green a few days. I'm allergic to mold spores and am thinking we should go somewhere else. We don't want to stay here if it's run down and dirty. It's hard to find many recent reviews about this resort so I'm wondering if many people are even going there.

Can anyone tell us anything about how St. George's Resort is now? Please help - I'm beginning to think we shouldn't go to Bermuda using RCI. Wish there was a Hilton Hotel there so we could use his points to go there but none as far as we know of. Any advice as to other hotels there? Thanks.

N Plainfield
Level Contributor
238 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Should we go to Bermuda?

From what I have heard over the many years we have been visiting Bermuda, St. George's Club until 2006 was the ONLY timeshare on the island. It is on the far East End, it is convenient to St. Georges, Tobacco Bay, St David's (weekdays, you will have the beach to yourselves), North Shore Road, Smith's Parish and Spittal Pond (John Smith's Bay) That said it is our favorite end of the island (7th visit coming up). The easy breezy snorkeling at Tobacco Bay, the serenity of St. Catherine's around the corner , the view from Blackbeard's, the drive over to St. Davids Lighthouse... Truth be told, some of the units at the timeshare are probably showing some signs of age..The upkeep on island is a constant struggle. Advantages... Quiet, waiting for re- discovery. walkable, much easier for first time scooter drivers, go to Flatts Village for the tides, the Zoo, Rustico's Restaurant... and St. George is still a town worth discovering.New restaurant Wahoo's . You will be close to the Swizzle Inn, the Caves,the boat and kayak rentals at Grotto Bay. This is a great idea especially on your first visit.

Mentioned in this post
Tobacco Bay
Tobacco Bay
727 Reviews
Bermuda
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
98 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Should we go to Bermuda?

ortley - Thanks so much for your info. and advice as to what we can do, etc. Can't wait to go now!

USA
Level Contributor
29,155 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Should we go to Bermuda?

>>>From what I have heard over the many years we have been visiting Bermuda, St. George's Club until 2006 was the ONLY timeshare on the island<<<

Well before the Saint George's Club came into being, the first '..time-share..' property in Bermuda was the HAMILTONIAN HOTEL & ISLAND CLUB (once a RCI property) in the mid-1970s. At the time special legislation had to be passed to allow it. Bermudian law did not permit 'time-share' properties. This same legislation allowed the Saint George's Club to come into being a few years later.

The Hamiltonian Hotel & Island Club was built on the site of the old Sherwood Hotel, atop Langton Hill, in West Pembroke, overlooking the north shore...across Black Watch Pass from Government House). I'm not sure of the status of the Hamioltonian property today ..but several years ago it began to fall into serious disrepair and was failing...due in large part to a lack of bookings and mismanagement. The management began renting units out as resident housing to stem losses.. Most recently, the property only just staved off foreclosure by the Bermuda government for long-standing non-payment of taxes....this due in some parts to ongoing, conflicting claims of ownership (a squabble over the estate of the owner-of-record) and general insolvency.

As I recall, the Hamiltonian's original selling price was $10,500....for a twenty(20) year time-share, on a one-bedroom unit, for one(1) week, during June or July.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
5 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Should we go to Bermuda?

We just returned from a wonderful week at the St. George's Club cottages in July 2010! I had been concerned, too, after reading the reviews, and I don't know why Tripadvisor keeps listing those old, bad reviews for this resort FIRST ahead of mine and others that have been there recently. The resort is "timeshare comfortable" and not luxurious, but is quite delightful, is in a PERFECT location for exploring St. George's and the island, and is a place we can't wait to return to. The resort looks just like the photos on RCI, and most of the cottages have been recently renovated. We've stayed at some of the larger hotels on the island, and our family ended up loving these architecturally-appropriate cottages with stairs on the property that lead down to the town for shopping and dinner. I'd say that if you were lucky enough to get an exchange into this resort, you are going to be very happy unless you are looking for luxurious and high-energy nightlife. It it true that the resort sits at the top of a hill overlooking the town, but a free shuttle runs you to up and down to the town and beach at your own convenience.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
98 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Should we go to Bermuda?

mbrixis,

Thanks so much for your comments and we are really looking forward now to going in Sept.

TexasFNP
Level Contributor
139 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Should we go to Bermuda?

Don't know anything about that resort, sure hate for you not to go but maybe I can help. We just go back and we hired an "onion" taxi driver, He was sooo awesome!! Here is his email and phone number. I trust him to let you know about this hotel and if you need a driver he was absolutely delightful! Best money we spent in Bermuda!! He was born and raised in Bermuda, knows everyone and seems to be very knowledgeable. Hope it will help.

441.535.1646 sinny62@northrock.bm

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
98 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Should we go to Bermuda?

Thanks very much for the info. TexasFNP.

18. Re: Should we go to Bermuda?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 09, 2011
Get answers to your questions about St. George