We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US cell phones in Bermuda?

Which St. George hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nanuet, New York
Level Contributor
123 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
US cell phones in Bermuda?

Hi... I've never tried calling but most area code in Bermuda starts with

441-XXX-XXXX and that looks same as the US phone numbers.

I'm wondering if my US cell phone would work in Bermuda.

Any ideas?

Monmouth County,NJ
Destination Expert
for Southampton Parish
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US cell phones in Bermuda?

Yes, your cell phone will work while in Bermuda. However, the cost is alittle steep. While on the island, my husband and I do use them to keep in touch with family but not for idle chit-chat. Use hotel phones for local calling. I'm not sure what you can do to keep the cost down on calling. Maybe someone here knows.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: US cell phones in Bermuda?

My cell did not work from Bermuda - I have Virgin Mobile pay as you go.

That being the case - on our recent trip I purchased a TBI (TeleBermudaInternational) phone card from a vending machine at at the airport. It offered a rate of .22 cents per minute to the US. I got a $10.00 card.

It worked fine from the hotel phone - they do not charge for local or 1-800 calls. I also used it from a phone booth with good results.

Other than having to dial about 22 numbers it is easy to use.

This may be an alternative if your phone does not work.

We just had two calls to make, both birthday greetings - we used the Internet at the hotel for other communications.

Poppa

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US cell phones in Bermuda?

pay as you go phones don't roam. if you have a regular phone plan with a major carrier like verizon/att/sprint your phone will work. but you will have to dial all numbers, including bermuda numbers as if you were calling long distance. ie to call a local taxi, dial 1 441 295 4141, to call new york 1 212 xxx xxxx

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: US cell phones in Bermuda?

i have verizon and had to call them to have international calling turned on.will work now at $1.29 a minute.

Pembroke
Level Contributor
721 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: US cell phones in Bermuda?

WDS- no offence but I don't see how you can say with confidence the cell phone will work. It depends on who their provider is and what sort of contract they have. All US cell phones don't work here, in fact many don't. Again, it depends on their provider and their cell phone arrangement with that company.

I always recommend people check with their cellphone provider back at home before travelling here; I've known a few people who were actualy charged an ungodly amount of $ just for roaming. No, not for using the phone but for simply having it on, which is considered 'roaming' for those unaware.

There are cellphones you can rent here for a fairly reasonable price if you really feel the need for one and can't get yours to work.

Nanuet, New York
Level Contributor
123 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US cell phones in Bermuda?

Thank you everybody for your replies!

I have verizon and I gues I have to call them and make sure.

I just wanted to have my phone working in case of emergencies.

Thank you all!!

USA
Level Contributor
27,733 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US cell phones in Bermuda?

International Calling & Roaming Details--

VERIZON WIRELESS--

…vzw.com/international/…Bermuda.html

ATT / CINGULAR--

…att.com/learn/…international-roaming.jsp

T-MOBILE--

www.t-mobile.com/international/default.aspx…

SPRINT / NEXTEL--

…nextel.com/en/…

8. Re: US cell phones in Bermuda?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 pm, September 06, 2009
Get answers to your questions about St. George