We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dressing for dinner?

Boston...
Level Contributor
13 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Dressing for dinner?

This will be our first visit to Bermuda how dressed should we be for dinner or lunch?

CT
Level Contributor
163 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dressing for dinner?

highly dependent on where you go and who you ask.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dressing for dinner?

Clean and tidy, as my mother might have said, will do for most places at lunchtime. If it's a special dinner at a high end restaurant then dress accordingly. Sunday Brunch seems to draw the smart casual crowd and even jackets on the locals who are coming straight from church. Even some very fetching hats on the women churchgoers.

USA
Level Contributor
28,263 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dressing for dinner?

>>>...Even some very fetching hats on the women churchgoers....<<<

I've driven past a few Bermuda churches on Sunday morning, when services were letting out. The '..sea..' of colorful ladies' hats on display on the church steps after the service made me think that they were all on there way to afternoon tea at the palace with the Queen.

Boston...
Level Contributor
13 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dressing for dinner?

thanks

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dressing for dinner?

Don't worry about the hats!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dressing for dinner?

We were in Bermuda last month, and after reading about the need to dress up a bit for dinner, we brought some dressier clothes (cotton blazer for my husband, dresses for me.) I can only assume that it's in the fancier/more $$$ restaurants that people dress up, because we never needed any of the dressy clothes. Plus it was hot when we were there, so no way was my husband putting on a blazer. We ate in casual places, so I guess it depends on where you plan to eat out.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dressing for dinner?

I think smart casual works well about 90% of the time, but there are places which still warrant a blazer for men. Fourways, Tuckers Point, Cambridge Beaches. If in doubt, call ahead. Have a wonderful time in beautiful Bermuda.

USA
Level Contributor
28,263 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dressing for dinner?

>>>...but there are places which still warrant a blazer for men. Fourways, Tuckers Point, Cambridge Beaches..<<<

There are no longer any restaurants or dining rooms in Bermuda that '..require..' jackets for gentlemen. The last place in Bermuda that '..required..' a jacket for dinner was The Point dining room at the Tucker's Point Hotel & Spa...and they've since rolled it back it back to little more than '..Smart/Resort/Elegant Casual..',which most usually translates to long pants (no jeans...Bermuda shorts w/knee socks always okay) a collared shirt and proper footwear (no flip-flops)...with jackets (if mentioned at all) being nothing more than a subtle '..suggestion..'.

Having said this...no gentleman will ever feel 'over-dressed' or out-of-place wearing a sports jacket or blazer (or heaven forefend..a tie) in any of Bermuda's better restaurants and dining rooms.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dressing for dinner?

I am sorry I wasn't clear. I used the word "warrant" because the atmosphere of those restaurants I mentioned is more formal. I think the ambiance makes a dressier appearance appropriate irrespective of whether it is "required".

Boston...
Level Contributor
13 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dressing for dinner?

thank you all for the information