We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning 3 day itinerary in Bermuda - looking for feeback

Level Contributor
122 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Planning 3 day itinerary in Bermuda - looking for feeback

Hi All, and thanks for any help. We would like to use as much of our time as beneficially as possible, especially in seeking out beaches, but also taking into consideration our less than perfect stamina/health. We were able to locate a person who drives with better rates than the ship offers, and so plan to use her but it is not yet finalized. Is this plan possible?

WEDNESDAY - early morning avoid the mad bus dash to Horseshoe Beach since there will be 2 ships at the Dockyard by going to Daniels Head Beach instead first thing in the AM and staying til about 2 PM or so unless there is another beach in the area worth exploring. Planning a drop off/pick up in advance with the person I mentioned. Had considered taking the tram/train from dockyard - sounded like fun, but we can get off ship a lot earlier than its first trip from the dockyard.....also not sure how far one would have to walk from the tram/train to Daniel's Head Beach. Anyway, after swimming, sunning, back to the ship to rest up a bit/shower/and then head to the ferry to Front Street's Wed. night celebration and to pick up a few non-touristy souvenirs...is there a good place there to have a drink without also needing to buy dinners? So much food on board that just isn't necessary.

Thursday: Full day with a pass at Coco Reef that includes lounges, umbrellas, lunch, pool, towels and changing area. We could leave mid-afternoon if there was something in area or another beach to explore........but our walking isn't great for any lengths..........nothing planned for late afternoon or evening.

Friday: give in to the crowds and go to Horseshoe Bay since I would not want to miss it even though I have heard it is very wall to wall people when two ships are in dock. We have to be back at the ship late afternoon and again, are arranging a ride.

If it should be rainy, we are open to both the aquarium/zoo; read that the seal feeding is at 4 PM and would probably enjoy that........also somewhere else that has an under water exhibit. But time is a factor. Is there any way to add any other beaches that are special given our restricted timeframe in Bermuda? We do not snorkel nor are able to stand up paddle....frankly, lounging in the water with our "noodles" has been our "exercise"!

Thank you for any suggestions or corrections or "impossible combinations" if I have chosen them. We only wish we could stay longer.

USA
Level Contributor
28,171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning 3 day itinerary in Bermuda - looking for feeback

>>>...WEDNESDAY...going to Daniels Head Beach instead first thing in the AM and staying til about 2 PM....Planning a drop off/pick up in advance with the person I mentioned. Had considered taking the tram/train from dockyard - sounded like fun....head to the ferry to Front Street's Wed. night celebration and to pick up a few non-touristy souvenirs...is there a good place there to have a drink without also needing to buy dinners?...<<<

Sounds like a good plan. If amenities like chaise lounge and beach umbrellas are a priority, Daniel's Head is a good alternative.......The mini-train option out to Daniel's Head may look like a better idea in '..prospect..' than it is in '..practice..'...and not especially comfortable. I'd be inclined to take a taxi...that'll drop you off a few yards from the beach.

The HARBOUR NIGHTS 'street fair' in downtown Hamilton is always a lotta' fun...with stores 'n shops remaining open until 8-9:00 PM, so you don't have to waste sunshine and 'beach time' shoppin' indoors. As for pubs and bars to stop for a drink, you've lots of good choices but...you may have to take stools at the bar during dinner service, especially on a Harbour Night. My 1st preference would be the HOG PENNY PUB-- http://www.hogpennypub.com/ --just up Burnaby Street from the '..flagpole..'/reviewing stand on Front Street. It's a minor Bermuda '..institution..'. Other good choices would be--

FLANAGAN'S IRISH PUB-- http://www.flanagans.bm/

PICKLED ONION-- http://www.thepickledonion.com/

LEMON TREE CAFE-- http://www.thelemontreecafe.com/ --with tables outdoors, jutting into Queen Elizabeth II (Par-la-Ville) Park.

OR...stroll down (approx. 600-700 yards west--to your right as you face the harbor) to the FAIRMONT HAMILTON PRINCESS HOTEL-- http://www.fairmont.com/southampton-bermuda/ --for a quiet drink out on their grounds overlooking Hamilton Harbour.

On Wednesday, Harbour Nights, there is later BLUE-Hamilton-Dockyard ferry service back to Dockyard (9:30, 10:00, 10:30 PM)

>>>...Thursday: Full day with a pass at Coco Reef...<<<

Good plan....and depending on how you feel you could come back into downtown Hamilton on your way back to Dockyard...poke 'round a bit more...have a drink out on the deck at Pickled Onion, overlooking Hamilton Harbour...then take the BLUE--Hamilton-Dockyard--ferry route (a great '..boat ride..') back out through Hamilton Harbour, across the Great Sound back to Dockyard. In the evening, walk across to the FROG & ONION PUB-- http://www.frogandonion.bm/ --for a drink and whatever evening entertainment they may have goin'.

Edited: 11:37 pm, June 06, 2014
New York City, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning 3 day itinerary in Bermuda - looking for feeback

I am not a fan of Horseshoe Bay beach. It is too crowded, and quite frankly, there are more picturesque beaches on the Island with the same pink sand. The locals love Warwick. I love Warwick and Chaplin. They are next to each other and only about a mile from Horseshoe.

When I went to Bermuda last summer from the cruise ship, we took a cab and started at Warwick. Cost was 30 dollars one way. The waters at Warwick tend to be a little rougher with waves, but the beach is not crowded. From there, we walked over to Jobsons Cove, which is next door. The water is very calm here. You can check out the photos online, and it is the perfect spot to snorkel. You do have to climb a hill and walk the dune, but it is not that far. From Jobsons cove, we walked over to Chaplin Bay. Chaplin was my absolute favorite. The sand was so soft, even in the water. The water was so calm, and they do rent noodles there. It is the perfect noodle spot IMO. I felt like I was in my own private paradise. If you continue walking in the same direction, the next beach is Horseshoe.

If you have never been to Horseshoe, then by all means go and see it. But you will probably be disappointed after seeing the others nearby.

Then in the evening on Wednesday, go to Harbor nights. I agree with the above poster on the food recommendations.

I will actually be doing this again for my upcoming trip in July.

If the weather is nice Thursday, then Coco Reef sounds wonderful. If it is rainy, the aquarium is a great idea. The underwater exhibit you may be referring to is the Crystal Caves. I heard there is a very long staircase to get down, so the climb back up would be harder. I think I read there is an elevator, but I am not sure if that is correct as I have never been. I will be doing this on my next trip.

On Friday, you can certainly venture over to Horseshoe Bay. I prefer to go to SnorkelPark beach right in the dockyard on Friday as I Iike to stay close to the ship on the day it leaves. You can walk to it from the ship. I usually go shopping in the dockyard, check out the glass blowing shop, buy soveniers, and then walk over to the beach. SnorkelPark is a manmade beach, but there is a concession for food, equipment you can rent, and an area with umbrellas and tables for eating, etc.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning 3 day itinerary in Bermuda - looking for feeback

You could also visit the beautiful Elbow Beach, with its amazing pink sand. It is considered one of the safest beaches on Bermuda

Level Contributor
122 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning 3 day itinerary in Bermuda - looking for feeback

Hi,

Isn't Coco Reef on part of Elbow Beach? If not we made a mistake!!

Also, considering skipping Daniel's Head (or going there late afternoon on Wed.) and instead going to Warwick on Wednesday early as possible in the morning...if we had time later in the afternoon we would visit Daniel's Head before the ferry to Hamilton for Wednesday night Harbor Night. Does anyone know what time that ferry leaves?

Also, someone wrote recently that they thought the Fairmont Southhampton has day passes? Anyone know if that is accurate or have experienced the day there?

USA
Level Contributor
28,171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning 3 day itinerary in Bermuda - looking for feeback

>>>...instead going to Warwick on Wednesday early as possible in the morning...<<<

As suggested above, the stretch of south shore including WARWICK LONG BAY, JOBSON'S COVE and STONEHOLE BAY is a great choice but...there are no '..facilities..' here (chair/chaise, umbrellas rentals, etc) and the only bathroom facilities will be of the Porta-Potti variety (fine for basic necessity and changing). The bus stop (Warwick Long Bay/Jobson's Cove stop...#7--Dockyard-Via South Shore Beaches-Hamilton route...**NOT** the '..SPECIAL' route..) will be close to the short entrance drive . The walk down to the 1/2 mile strand of pink sand at Warwick Long Bay-- …superstock.com/WI/223/1566/200610/PreviewCo… --will be approx. 150-200 yard....and another approx. 100 yards to the west (to your right as you face the ocean) to the '..natural pool..' at Jobson's Cove-- ahhbermuda.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/wa… --then another 100 yards or so along the sandy foot path through the dunes to the entrance to Stonehole Bay-- …rackspacecloud.com/278497.jpg

>>>...the ferry to Hamilton for Wednesday night Harbor Night. Does anyone know what time that ferry leaves?...<<<

The Ministry of Transport tends to keep track of when buses and ferries run and publishes BUS & FERRY SCHEDULES to pass this information along to riders

2014 SUMMER FERRY SCHEDULE--

http://www.seaexpress.bm/

BERMUDA BUS SCHEDULES--

www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt…

BERMUDA--Handy Reference Map--(Orientation, layout, relative locations)--

gotobermuda.com/uploadedFiles/GetHere/MapsAn…

>>>...Isn't Coco Reef on part of Elbow Beach?...<<<

YUP...the far eastern end (to your left as you face the ocean) of the same 1/2-2/3 mile Elbow Beach.There are three(3) hotel properties and a Public Access fronting onto Elbow Beach---Coco Reef Resort (east); Elbow Beach Hotel (center); Public Access (center) Coral Beach & Tennis Club (west). The reference was probably to the Elbow Beach Hotel's beachclub.

>>>..someone wrote recently that they thought the Fairmont Southhampton has day passes? Anyone know if that is accurate or have experienced the day there?...<<<

I do know that there have been some people who have '..crashed..' the Fairmont hotel's private beach club at the Fairmont Southampton Hotel. But the last time I checked with the hotel, they did NOT offer '..day passes..' to non-guests....but...this may have changed for 2014. You can check with the Fairmont Southampton Hotel directly.

Somerset Village...
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning 3 day itinerary in Bermuda - looking for feeback

Hello,

I do not know if this is your first visit to the Island but if it is I suggest the following Itinerary:

First day, take a tour of the Island. It is very beautiful and if you choose a Blue Flag Tour Guide you will learn quite a bit about the Island and its historical relationship with the USA. Day two visit one of the local beaches. Daniels Head beach is lovely but I little out of the way with very little facilities. If you have trouble getting around, the boat excursion to Elbow may be your best option. Although Horseshoe Bay tends to be crowded it does have good facilities, bathrooms, showers, concession stand, umbrellas, chairs and even wheelchairs that can be used in the sand. On your third day a ferry ride to Hamilton may be very enjoyable. You can move about at your own pace. I do not know how large you group is but if 5 or more I suggest that you consider using a minibus.

7. Re: Planning 3 day itinerary in Bermuda - looking for feeback

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 25, 2015