We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Intimate elopement in Bermuda

Which Bermuda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Galloway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Intimate elopement in Bermuda

We are to planning to get married in Bermuda in May of this year. We have all of the regulations and application information already and are staying at Pompano Beach Resort. We are looking for a wedding that is just the two of us, no guests, no fuss, no muss, just a pastor, photographer and us. I have contacted two wedding coordinators which were suggested on TripAdvisor and the cost is well in excess of $2,000.00 to set it up plus the photographer's fee, license fee, etc., etc. It appears that the resort will be about the same. We hope to be married on a beach, but it looks like the expense is a little higher than expected. I know we could be married at the Bermuda Registry's Marriage Room, but that just doesn't feel right. Has anybody ever put together a really small wedding without having to use a wedding coordinator? There has just got to be a way to make the dream little wedding come true!

USA
Level Contributor
26,482 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Intimate elopement in Bermuda

Sorry. I just checked the controlled chaos that I laughingly refer to as my '..files..'. A few years ago, we had occasion to meet a local taxi driver, who was also an ordained and licensed minister. The '..occasion..' was precisely the thing you're interested in. A young couple, staying at our hotel had planned a small, intimate '..elopement..' in Bermuda (they'd secured all of the necessary permisions & license prior to arrival to satisfy local legal niceties). The taxi driver/minister picked them up (and two witnesses they'd recruited from the hotel staff) at the hotel...drove them out to the beach at Stonehole Bay, married them and then drove them to a local restaurant for a post-wedding dinner, then back to the hotel. I used to have the taxi driver/minister's business card but.....I can't find it (I've searched my files a couple of times over the years looking for it)...nor recall the gentleman's name.

Sorry this isn't much (or any) help but....the sort of intimate, Bermuda elopement/wedding you envisage is certainly '..doable..'. Bonne chance !!!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,437 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Intimate elopement in Bermuda

What do the coordinators do for the $2,000? Remember that weather could be a problem with a beach wedding. Are you having some kind of wedding meal? What will Pompano do for the $2,000?

Galloway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Intimate elopement in Bermuda

They all provide the same services for the most part....location, nondenominational pastor, transportation, filing of license, chairs, flowers, etc. Most of those are add sons after the standard contract fee. It just seems a lot to pay and you are paying for a for convenience. I prefer to do things myself and hope that there is a way to keep costs down. The engagement ring, the wedding ring, the flights, the 8 nights in Bermuda, the dress, etc.... all add up quickly. We are really interested in an intimate wedding ceremony. No food, cake, flowers, music. We just want the moment to be centered on us and our vows and nothing else. We have both been previously married many years ago (been there done that...don't want it all again). The chair rentals gazebos ribbons and flowers won't make it more special. We both prefer it simple and personal. Surely someone has eloped on a beach or at Astwood Park without a wedding coordinator?

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,437 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Intimate elopement in Bermuda

If it's really the vows which are the most important aspect of this wedding then why not get married quietly near where you live and go to Bermuda for your honeymoon. Would save a great deal of worry, not to mention money.

Galloway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Intimate elopement in Bermuda

Not an option. We both really want a Bermuda wedding. We already paid for the Bermuda license and have dreamt of the pink sand wedding for years. We would rather not settle when it comes to something this important. I guess you get a dream in your head and it would be disappointing not to achieve it. A wedding day should be a dream come true, we just didn't expect to pay a large fee for such a simple service. All we really need is a pastor and a location. There are several excellent photographers reviewed here on TripAdvisor so that part should be easy to handle ourselves. We saved a long time to make this dream come true but had no idea that saving on our wedding by "running away" instead of a big wedding at home would end up costing more....Murphys Law I guess. Hopefully someone reading this post will have that God bit of information that can help us. There has to be a way of marrying without the assistance of a wedding coordinator who charges so much for such a simple arrangement as we need.

USA
Level Contributor
26,482 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Intimate elopement in Bermuda

If all you need is an officiate, a photographer and a picturesque location...why not contact the concierge at Pompano Beach Club and ask if they can provide a list of ministers who might perform your ceremony ??...then contact these DIRECTLY with your requirements and proposed date ?? (check the Yellow Pages-- http://www.bermudayp.com/ )...Photographers...the same. Any florist can do a lovely bouquet to your specifications. Bermuda can provide more picturesque locations (pink sand beaches and coves, cliff tops with spectacular ocean views, gardens, etc) than you can possibly imagine---almost any south shore beach...the cliff tops above Astwood Cove or Chalpin Bay...the Botanic Gardens, Victoria Park, Fort Hamilton....take your pick of dozens. You've plenty of time between now and May...all you need to do is to put in a bit of personal research and effort to make it happen.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
386 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Intimate elopement in Bermuda

Hello dear Bride to be,

PLEASE contact Pompano and ask for one of the Lamb Brothers whom would turn the tides for you all to have the ceremony of your dreams. I can see you at low tide down the shore line south towards Port Royals cove ......barefoot & & under the arching palms....saying your truth in VOWS. The west Sun illuminating pink clouds. BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Galloway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Intimate elopement in Bermuda

Oh I have tried. 5 attempts to get their assistance have been ignored. I keep getting told "they will have to get back to you" over and over. Obviously the job is either too small or they are just not interested or perhaps are in the off season and not available. The reviews made them sound very very helpful....but what we need is small and simple and they just don't seem to be interested or we would have heard from them. I have been trying for a month now with no response. I looked into the reefs but they charge and arm and a leg to use their facility even if booked there for 8 nights. I have almost three months and am hopeful someone has been there done that and can pass on the knowledge. Thanks though..I thought the same as you:)

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,437 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Intimate elopement in Bermuda

I am waiting to hear back from someone on the island who may be able to help. Watch this space !!!

Galloway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Intimate elopement in Bermuda

Wow.....thank you. I wouldn't even know who to call! I just love TripAdvisor......thanks for taking the time to help and for your efforts