We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand Fleas

nova scotia
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Sand Fleas

Has anyone had issues with sand flea bites in Bermuda? After many years of travel to southern destinations I now end up with blisters from sand flea bites.This despite being on prescription medication and using bug spray with deet.We have been to Bermuda four times back in the 90's and at that time I did not react to bites of any kind. We may go back if sand fleas are not an issue.

USA
Level Contributor
29,157 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sand Fleas

Though sand fleas do exist in Bermuda....NO...they are not a problem. If you weren't bothered by them during your previous four(4) Bermuda visits; you won't be bothered by them during this visit either.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,730 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sand Fleas

in 9 years of living in Bermuda we had no problems

USA
Level Contributor
29,157 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sand Fleas

The only time that I ever heard of a sand flea problem in Bermuda was decades ago, when they were building a new wing onto the old Carlton Beach/Sonesta hotel out along the south shore. In the process of excavating the rock sub-strata for the foundations of the new wing, they disturbed an evidently huge nest of sand fleas.....who not at all pleased with their rude eviction, subsequently expressed their displeasure by infesting the rest of the hotel in retaliation (who could blame 'em??). The flea bitten, paying guests of the hotel were NOT amused.

Edited: 12:13 am, November 25, 2013
Calgary, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Sand Fleas

I too get blisters from those pesky noseeums that then ooze and of course itch like crazy- despite anti histamines and many other tried remedies. Such a trip ruiner. Looking for a place in the Caribbean that might not have these terrible bugs and from what I've read it sounds like Bermuda might be it? Did you end up going?

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
USA
Level Contributor
29,157 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sand Fleas

>>>.."...We have been to Bermuda four times back in the 90's and at that time I did not react to bites of any kind..."...<<<

If you read the original post again, you will note that the OP had previously visited Bermuda on four(4) different occasions WITHOUT experiencing any sort of problem or pestilence on any of those occasions.

Hamilton, Bermuda
Level Contributor
665 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sand Fleas

Hi,

Sand fleas are not an issue in Bermuda

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
967 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sand Fleas

no sand fleas. enjoy the trip.

New England
Level Contributor
134 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sand Fleas

When referring to sand fleas, is that the same as noseeums that are out in the dawn and dusk and shady areas?

USA
Level Contributor
29,157 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sand Fleas

I suppose some people lump pests all together, regarless of species but....NO....sand fleas are an entirely different creature than the commonly referred to '..noseeums..' ('midges', 'gnats', etc)

And (before the question arises)... NO...there is no problem with '..noseeums..' in Bermuda either.

New England
Level Contributor
134 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sand Fleas

Thanks a bunch! Now I can consider Bermuda! Me and bugs, especially noseeums do not mix.