We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming Pools in December

Port Stanley, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming Pools in December

We just returned from 3 days in Bermuda (yes I admit we went on a cruise ship), fell head over heels in love with the place and want to bring the kids back in December.

So I've been reading, DILIGENTLY. I get that it's too cold to swim in the ocean. We want to rent a cottage or guest house. My question is, if I rent one with an outdoor pool, are pools typically heated in Bermuda or not? If I rent a guest house with an outdoor pool, would one typically be able to swim in it in December? Need to keep teenagers and husband happy (I would gladly wander through the history for a week, but you know, FAMILY vacation ;-)

Yes, I realize that I'd have to contact owner of specific properties, but hoping for some general information. Thank you, and apologies if this has already been addressed somewhere.

USA
Level Contributor
29,155 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming Pools in December

>>>...My question is, if I rent one with an outdoor pool, are pools typically heated in Bermuda or not?.......I realize that I'd have to contact owner of specific properties...<<<

It's as '..definitive..' as....Some are. Some aren't. Electricity in Bermuda is VERY expensive. '..solar..' heating is fine...but not always as effective as advertised.

You've already arrived at the best answer you're gonna' get....You need to check with the owner of the individual rental property.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,539 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming Pools in December

it is highly unlikely that the pool will be heated because of high energy costs here. if you do a little shopping around you might find a house with a heated pool, but it'll be expensive.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,282 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming Pools in December

As you say, there's really no way of knowing if a pool at a rental is heated in December without asking the owner. Not too many rentals with pools anyway. You may still be able to swim in the sea, it all depends on personal likes and dislikes about temperature.

Do you have any questions about suitable rentals? I'm not surprised that you want to return and stay on the island. We go in April/May each year and I usually go again on my own in November/December for the St George's Walkabout and this year for the Christmas Boat Parade. My husband has decided that he's going with me this year, April wasn't enough.

Looks as though we were all typing like mad at the same time !!

Edited: 4:34 pm, August 02, 2013
Port Stanley, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming Pools in December

Well, honestly, I'd have a whole lot more choice about where we might stay if I didn't worry about the pool... teenagers are tough, let 'em swim in the Atlantic, I say....in all seriousness, maybe a day or two at Coco Reef along with a few quick dips in the ocean may suffice.... thank you for your input.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,282 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming Pools in December

This is the website for the Boat Parade which is spectacular and shouldn't be missed if you are there on December 7th. www.bermudaboatparade.bm

USA
Level Contributor
29,155 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming Pools in December

>>>... maybe a day or two at Coco Reef...<<<

Well....the outdoor swimming pool at COCO REEF RESORT is heated, so that's a pretty good '..Plan B..'....dip in the December-chilly Atlantic, followed by time in the heated pool to warm up.

Edited: 9:42 pm, August 02, 2013
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming Pools in December

Pompano Beach resort has a nice pool and the atmosphere at the hotel is nice and eapecially around the holidays. The Roseson has a heated pool as well. I have been to Bermuda a few times in December and I lucked out with the weather. Its a lovely time to go.

Also as a fellow Canadian, you wont mind the water temps. Most New Englanders and Canadians could brave the waters of Bermuda with know trouble at all. Yes, even in December.

Edited: 7:34 pm, August 03, 2013
8. Re: Swimming Pools in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 05, 2014