We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harbor Nights/Destination Dockyard

Succasunna, NJ
Level Contributor
350 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Harbor Nights/Destination Dockyard

I was wondering if these events are similar in nature or different enough to see both of them. Also, how late do buses and taxis run from each of these locations. Thank you.

USA
Level Contributor
28,174 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Harbor Nights/Destination Dockyard

The Hamilton HARBOUR NIGHTS and DESTINATION DOCKYARD events are both '..street fair..' events so similar in nature but still sufficiently different to be worth attending both if you've the time.

Public transportation--buses and ferries--run on their usual weekday schedules, with a later BLUE--Hamilton-Dockyard ferry run on Wednesdays when there's a Harbour Nights event in Hamilton. So how late public transportation runs will depend on where you're headed and which of the several individual bus or ferry routes serves your destination. Check the bus and ferry schedules for your destination.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Harbor Nights/Destination Dockyard

Read about Harbour Nights at

thisweek.bm/Current-Events/2013-harbour-nigh…

or Destination Dockyard at

elbowbeachcycles.com/destination-dockyard-st…

London
Level Contributor
125 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Harbor Nights/Destination Dockyard

We did the Hamilton Harbour Night a couple of weeks ago. We took a water taxi from our hotel (Cambridge Beaches - very very nice!)(and we got a discounted price thankfully!) which cost I think $10. It landed right on the harbour where the public ferries get in from the Dockyard (costing I think $4).

We ate at the Pickled Onion (by prior reservation), which is shoreline, specifically so we could see the parade that goes with Harbour Night. We ate on the open air balcony, which gave us a great view down the street, but which was boiling hot (well into the eighties still I would say!). (Food was good, but VERY pricey - bottle of Shiraz was $38, beers were $9 and steaks were $35, pizzas $17 - it all came to $250 for 6!) (but then, Bermuda is pricey, and the PO was prime location).(Price included the mandatory 15% service charge)

When the parade started it was mostly the dancers with the elongated hats (sorry, forgotten the name, I'm sure someone will correct me!) that was still going on when we left. The stalls were pretty, a mix of those directed at Bermudians (eg, mostly food stalls) and tourists (eg, jewelry etc).

It was all pretty low key and pleasant. I would say that if you go, that's fine, but if you don't you won't have missed anything particularly (I guess it depends how familiar you are already with such events). The shops stayed open later (though not that late - Bermuda shuts down early!)(a plus point to many I acknowledge). I believe the whole purpose of the Harbour Nights is to boost tourist trade, which is fine.

Shops in Hamilton are nice - again, a mix of for locals and for tourists. I recommend the local 'department store' A C Cooper, which is a mix of both. Pricey stuff downstairs (perfumes and jewelry) and more modest stuff upstairs (affordable range clothes and costume jewelry).

We took a taxi back to our hotel - checked the expected (and metered) price beforehand, because the water taxi price doubled for the late night return to $20 a head, so for all of us the $35 taxi fair was a lot cheaper! (Nearly all the taxis seem to be big people carrier style vehicles, which is great for larger groups)

We never went to the Dockyard at night, but even in the daytime it is a little well, not quite 'tacky' but heading in that direction (ie, in comparison with St Georges, which is definitely not tacky!). But I guess Dockyard is lively, and certainly very accessible by ferry from Hamilton.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,906 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Harbor Nights/Destination Dockyard

Can you tell us what that meal you had in the Pickled Onion would have cost in London? Perhaps in a similar location and similar quality.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,906 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Harbor Nights/Destination Dockyard

I think, perhaps, that I should point out that the Royal Naval Dockyard is just as historical in its own way as St George's. In addition it has a quite spectacular location. Did you take the time to visit the Maritime Museum? I don't think that I have ever been aware of anything even approaching tacky. Certainly the magnificent buildings left from its glory days can in now way be considered tacky.

London
Level Contributor
125 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Harbor Nights/Destination Dockyard

I don't eat out in London, so can't tell you London prices. Pizzas in my local commuter town are around £10 or a bit less, and a bottle of wine is probably £15.

I doubt Hamilton prices are particularly hideous as capital cities and tourist destinations go, but I posted the prices we paid so people could be aware of what they would need to pay. By contrast, our lunch meal in St Goerges at a similar restaurant was noticeably less expensive, but then it was lunch, not dinner.

If you particularly want a 'balcony seat' to view Harbour Nights then the Pickled Onion is good, if you don't object to paying the price for the meal that goes with that.

It's not criticism on my part, just making people aware of the consequence of their choice - it's up to them if they think it's worth it or not!

As for the Dockyard, my nearest comparison is the old dockyard at English Harbour in Antigua, which is significantly, to my mind, more 'upmarket' - but then it is, so I believe, a historical 'national park' and might, if I recall rightly, have an entrance fee to get in, unlike the dockyard in Bermuda.

Yes, the historic buildings at Bermuda Dockyard are beauitful, but the atmosphere is less upmarket, ane there are modern food outlets on the green, plus the whole ambience of having a cruise ship quay is, to my mind, inherently 'tackier'.

Personally, I think the Dockyard could be made nicer, and the way it is now does not do the historic buildings true justice.

7. Re: Harbor Nights/Destination Dockyard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 06, 2014