We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Celebrity Summit STAY AWAY!!!

Holland...
Level Contributor
28 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Celebrity Summit STAY AWAY!!!

We cruised this past week on the Celebrity Summit or shall I say the Cruise From Hell? We have cruised 6 times in the past but this was our first with Celebrity. All of our other cruises have been with Royal Caribbean. We paid for a suite. We fully expected to be upgraded within our category as we are SELECT members, it was available and were celebrating our 30th anniversary. Well, not only did that NOT happen but Celebrity went so far as to put us in a room that was already assigned to another couple and their luggage was in the room! Guy comes banging on our door to tell us this had been his suite but he was upgraded! FIRST TIMER and no special occasion and put this in our face. After the THIRD time he banged on our door I told him I was going to call security. The room was filthy. Toys hanging on wall and under couch from previous guests. Mirrors were never cleaned. Glass on door never cleaned. Bath tub had black soap scum I scratched off with my nail! I paid TOP DOLLAR for dirt! The elevators were always dirty. The glass was always dirty. I am used to Royal Caribbean and how they clean and polish all the time. Not so for this company. Complaining to the hotel manager got us nowhere. She was supposed to make a reservation for us at Normandie. SHE NEVER DID! IT WAS OUR 30TH! IDIOT! Many of the help need to be better versed in manners. Twice a ship employee pushed past me to get on/off the elevator. I yelled YOU'RE EXCUSED! I thought women were first? Dining room and butler service were the best part of the cruise because they actually CARED and did their job! Our cabin steward was changed mid-cruise (probably due to the lack of ambition to clean!) and the new one was OK. BUT! BUT! BUT! Every time we saw the butler,steward or wait staff they asked how their service was. To the point of the steward knocking on the door! FOR GOODNESS SAKE! Go away and let me enjoy my vacation! Yes, Ask ONCE. Not 5 times per day. I had to tell him I was lying down so I could be left alone. Creepy..

We need to request private table because of anaphylactic food allergies. RCCL go out of their way to accommodate and let us know what th emeals are. Not sop with Celbrity! They put us at a table for SIX . IDIOTS! To add insult, Celebrity offered me $200.00 off my next cruise with them. Right. As if.

Bermuda is my favorite place in the world. Cruise ships are ruining it IMO. The beaches are to die for but now Horseshoe has umbrellas,chairs,.......looks like the Jersey shore! Horrid! The seas are rough getting there and we had stuffed sinuses there and back. The rocking was so bad.

Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Celebrity Summit STAY AWAY!!!

Senior65; "I was going to ask for this post to be removed as it really had nothing to do with Bermuda, but then I finally got to the last paragraph. Talk about damning with faint praise. Someone obviously got out of bed the wrong side this morning."

This website is tripadvisor, not destinationadvisor. The posting of their cruise experience is perfectly justified here. They have some legitimate concerns also, cleanliness and customer service should be 2 of anyone's largest criteria when cruising. EXPECTING free upgrades and having a demeaning attitude towards the staff, however aren't likely to earn someone an enjoyable experience.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,272 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Celebrity Summit STAY AWAY!!!

This is specifically the Bermuda forum. The OP finally mentioned Bermuda in the last paragraph thus saving the day. I could have asked for it to be removed otherwise using the "wrong forum" reason. I believe there is a cruise forum. Have no idea whether TA would have removed it.

13. Re: Celebrity Summit STAY AWAY!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 pm, July 19, 2013
Boston...
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Celebrity Summit STAY AWAY!!!

Well could be worse, we could have been on the cruise with Cruising AL and his nastiness. Calling people Idoits, really? Very low class, and I'm sure his profile has all kinds of complaints, sounds to me like he is looking for something for nothing.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Celebrity Summit STAY AWAY!!!

"Bermuda is my favorite place in the world. Cruise ships are ruining it IMO"......and you arrived at Bermuda how??......ah, that's right......by a cruise ship!!

NYC
Level Contributor
178 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Celebrity Summit STAY AWAY!!!

<<<Like most things in life, if you don't like it don't visit it...we spent an hour at Horeshoe Bay our first time 10yrs ago, we just had our fourth visit to Bermuda and only got as close as a drive-by on a #7. Too many other beautiful beaches and bays around the island to be packed in like sardines.>>> by luvbermuda

Here's the real gem of this thread. We've been to BDA many times, and only go to Horseshoe around 5pm, after our tea at Rosedon, zipping on our scooters through rush hour. The locals are playing volleyball, so there's folks to watch your stuff and the water is blissfully uncrowded. It's a fine, fine way to end our day in Bermuda. Any other beach time happens at those other spots luvbermuda alludes to. There's so many nifty, gorgeous beaches to discover for a private swim or lounge.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
126 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Celebrity Summit STAY AWAY!!!

"Many of the help need to be better versed in manners" No, it sounds to me like you need some manners Lady.

East Greenwich...
Level Contributor
480 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Celebrity Summit STAY AWAY!!!

What other beaches would you recommend besides horseshoe bay for swimming and beauty avoiding the big crowds.

USA
Level Contributor
29,131 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Celebrity Summit STAY AWAY!!!

When there are two large cruise ships berthed out at Dockyard, passengers tend to get '..herded..' to the world famous Horseshoe Bay by cruise line recommendation and more convenient public transportation access ("Special' express buses). And though Horseshoe Bay beach may be more crowded than any other of the many great Bermuda beaches, the cruise ship 'crowd' at Horseshoe Bay, tends to 'concentrate' (as if there was an '..all-you-can-eat-buffet..' near by) along the first 50-100 yards of western/entrance end of this wonderful beach. Simply make the effort to walk a bit farther east along the long, pink crescent of Horseshoe Bay beach (to the end farthest from the entrance) and the 'crowds' thin out considerably...better yet, walk on past the large Peel Rock that marks the eastern end of Horseshoe Bay beach and you will find several smaller coves and beaches that have hardly any others on them...even on an absolutely perfect Bermuda 'beach day', with two large cruise ships in port.

But for another absolutely beautiful Bermuda beach, take a 'regular' #7 bus (NOT a 'Special'), a couple of stops past Horseshoe Bay to the stop for WARWICK LONG BAY/JOBSON'S COVE. The long, thin strand of pink sand here is a lot less 'trafficked' than Horseshoe Bay and just as beautiful. When you walk down the short entrance drive/path to the beach, the 1/2 mile of Warwick Long Bay will be to your left. If you walk a couple of hundred yards along the footpaths through the dunes to your right, you will come to the lovely little JOBSON'S COVE natural 'pool' and just a bit beyond this will be the semi-secluded and little 'trafficked', STONEHOLE BAY

London
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Celebrity Summit STAY AWAY!!!

maybe clearwater beach, chaplin bay, somerset long bay and i like elbow beach