We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grotto Bay Hotel: how bad is this hotel?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
130 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Grotto Bay Hotel: how bad is this hotel?

I've been reading the reviews of the Grotto Bay and I'm growing more and more concerned about our upcoming trip. Truthfully, how bad is this hotel? Is it dirty and run down? How is the pool? The beach? I don't want the hotel stay to ruin our trip. I know it's not going to be the Ritz/Four Seasons, but I'm afraid it's going to be a 3 star place at best and we're going to be overly disappointed.

My husband and I travel ALOT and while don't have to stay 5 star everything we do like things to be nice and definitely clean and up to date.

Please provide any truthful and constructive advice.

USA
Level Contributor
27,550 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grotto Bay Hotel: how bad is this hotel?

Not sure what you've read or heard but there's nothing "..bad.." about Grotto Bay Beach Resort. It may not be as glitzy or glamorous as some expect but the property is perfectly fine....a solid 3-star, moderately-priced (for Bermuda) resort. The property maintains a regular schedule of renovation/redecoration/up-dates. There's nothing '..gee whiz..' about the property....but it is perfectly adequate and pleasant. The property is a fine '..compromise..' between amenities/location and price.

The pool is small and adequate for the purpose. The beach is small (shrinks at high tide), fronting onto the well sheltered (flat/calm/no surf) Ferry Reach/Castle Harbour inlet...so not really '..oceanfront...' but pleasant. The on-premises dining options would probably rate as '..good..' rising to '..very good..' on occasion. The Full breakfast buffet would rate as excellent and the 'special' dining 'events (Seafood BBQ, BBQ Night) would probably rate as 'very good'.

Perhaps what you need to understand is that Bermuda is different from many other island/beach vacation destinations. At many other places, one's '..resort..' is pretty much their '..destination..' that they seldom leave (and leaving is often frowned upon as 'dicey'). In Bermuda, one's '..resort..' is more often a place where you will sleep at night, dine occasionally and 'hang out' for a bit. For the rest, there's all of the rest of '..RESORT BERMUDA..', that you can get out into (are encouraged to), explorer, experience and enjoy...almost everywhere...at almost any time of day or night, in reasonable safety, comfort and convenience.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
130 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grotto Bay Hotel: how bad is this hotel?

KDKSail thank you so much for the feedback. Very much appreciated.

United States
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grotto Bay Hotel: how bad is this hotel?

We stayed a GBBR in May. I was quite concerned & confused by the reviews. We had a wonderful experience @GBBR! Our rooms were spotless, nothing fancy but nicely furnished with more than enough room. The bathroom wasn't large but perfectly acceptable. The view was spectacular. We were on the all inclusive plan & glad we opted for it. The breakfast buffet has a high assortment and delicious. We ate lunch at the beach & sandwiches were good. Dinner at the Hibiscus room was great. There were 6 in our party & no one complained about any meals we ate at the resort. We had a bad lunch at the Wharf. The seafood buffet was delicious - they bbq'd steaks, chicken, fish & lobster at the pool. I see reviews where people complained about certain wines & champagnes not included with the alchol all inclusive but that is ridiculous. We were given every drink we requested. The waiters and staff were very plesant and gave us great service. We used our bus & ferry passes everyday & saw so much of this beautiful island. Bus stop outside of resort very convient (every 15 min).

This was our second trip to Bermuda. We stayed at the Princess in Hamilton on our first trip and were happy there but we enjoyed GBBR more. We got more for our money at GBBR but to each his own. I have seen unfavorable reviews since we were there in May and cannot relate as we were did not have any of the problems in those reviews. I almost changed hotels from bad reviews on Tripadvisor. Go to the reviews of GBBR & send request to the reviewers to get specific info as that is what I did. I as so very happy we did not change hotels!

Good Luck!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grotto Bay Hotel: how bad is this hotel?

I agree, we had a great experience at Grotto Bay.

Eton, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Grotto Bay Hotel: how bad is this hotel?

I am also thinking of booking this hotel for end of November. I do not have the offer of the inclusive package through united or hotels.com or their website (it seems). Are there nice restaurants around (bus journey is fine). Also everyone says Bermuda is very expensive, how much would a good meal cost for 2? Also how much is breakfast at the hotel? Thanks for your time

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grotto Bay Hotel: how bad is this hotel?

If you are looking for hot beach weather, Bermuda is off the coast of South Carolina and chances are it won't be beach weather. It's also hurricane season, so the end of Nov, I recommend going further south like Aruba, etc. Just my opinion.

Edited: 5:56 pm, July 16, 2013
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Grotto Bay Hotel: how bad is this hotel?

It should still be warm enough for some beach time. Hurricanes are not really a factor. Don't understand what you mean by not getting the option of the all inclusivel Have you contacted Grotto Bay direct? The hotel can answer your questions re cost of meals. Not much in the way of restaurants close by except the Swizzle Inn.

Click on the restaurant box at the top of this page and take a browse through menus and costs.

London, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grotto Bay Hotel: how bad is this hotel?

Grotto Bay is lovely. It is so relaxing. If you want five star sorry there are no five star in Bermuda. If you want four star try Tuckers Point and Hamilton Princess. Elbow maybe four star. Grotto Bay is a three star property and in my opinion heaven on earth. If you want gold plated faucets got to Tuckers Point. If you want to experience nature at its best go to Grotto Bay. I could sit on their beach all day drinking planters punch.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Grotto Bay Hotel: how bad is this hotel?

See www.grottobay.com Click on Packages in the top line and then All Inclusive. Gives you the info you need for what's included and cost.

Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grotto Bay Hotel: how bad is this hotel?

We stayed at Grotto Bay early June and loved every minute. Our room was clean and comfortable and the staff were outstanding - friendly and helpful. We had the all-inclusive plan (we only had lunch there twice - we were out and about during the day) and the food was very good.

The location, in our opinion, was fine. There was never more than a few minutes wait for a bus and we enjoyed the ride where ever we went - and we went everywhere!