We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for islands comparable to Bermuda?

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Suggestions for islands comparable to Bermuda?

We have been to Bermuda 4 years in a row now. We obviously love the island and will return but want to try something different for this year’s trip. Are there any islands comparable to Bermuda?

We love Bermuda due to its’ beauty, the freedom we have to explore on our own and that we don’t get hassled on the beach. Do you guys have any suggestions as to islands we should be looking into? A few people have suggested USVI St. John.

We really just want a beach vacation where we can explore on our own and relax on the beach without being bothered.

USA
Level Contributor
30,067 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for islands comparable to Bermuda?

There are other beautiful islands in the world but....I really think that due to the fortuituous accidents of '..geography..' that you'll be hard pressed to find another place that will be '..like..' Bermuda and....'..compare..' as favorably. Bermuda is just one of those rare places in the world where the '..whole..' of the place and experience are greater than a sum of it's parts....incredibly beautiful, romantic, friendly, hospitably '..welcoming..', safe....'..comfortable..'. Unlike many other '..beautiful..' places, where one often feels, '..Been there...Done that...Bought the tee-shirt...Next..' Bermuda just seems to be a place that you want to return to again and ...again and ...again.

With this in mind, do your own search and research for places that attract your attention and interest...perhaps Anguilla, Barbados, Saint Kitts, Saint Barts, Nevis, et al...until (like Golidlocks) you find one that seems '..just right..' for....Then practice **NOT** saying, "...I wish we'd gone to Bermuda instead...'

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for islands comparable to Bermuda?

I agree, I have travelled to many islands in the Caribbean but Bermuda is still my favourite. I have not felt as safe in any of the other islands and I liked the fact that it was perfectly safe to wander around in Bermuda without hassle and feeling as if I was going to be mugged!

My next favourite after Bermuda was St Lucia as i liked the large number of activities available on the island which meant that we didn't get bored and there was plenty of nightlife to enjoy. Good luck :-)

3. Re: Suggestions for islands comparable to Bermuda?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:14 am, June 12, 2015
Edited: 9:14 am, June 12, 2015
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Level Contributor
7,856 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for islands comparable to Bermuda?

Bermuda is beautiful and we love going there for a more "cosmopolitan" experience, shall I say? But we love the Caribbean islands for the culture, beautiful beaches and water, vibe, and most importantly the people. BDA is definitely a beautiful destination, but does not compare to many of the Carib islands in our very humble opinions. Having said that, there are several Carib islands that you would enjoy if your main goals are beautiful beaches and no beach vendors. Although there are very few areas that beach vendors are that much of a problem.

The one alternative that comes to mind first of course is Grand Cayman. Another very "cosmo" island with great beaches and few beach vendors.

St John is another but much less "cosmo" than Bermuda and GCM.

And if you're willing to leave some of the finer amenities behind the BVI is an extraordinary destination for beaches and peace. Virgin Gorda, Tortola, and Josts all boast gorgeous beaches and no one harassing you. The people there are not interested in selling you trinkets. Also a premier destination for sailing and island hopping.

St Thomas is also a candidate, Sapphire Beach is beautiful and there are zero vendors there (other than the Banana Cabana beach shack). We're staying there next month in a beautiful condo, can't beat the location because it's close to the Red Hook ferry which takes you to nearby St John, Josts, and Tortola. You can go to a busier beach when you want to mingle and then return to Sapphire or St John when you want quiet.

Turks & Caicos islands are beautiful and if you pick the right spot you won't be bothered, but again not very cosmopolitan.

Barbados is also home to gorgeous beaches but you need to be in the right spot to avoid being hassled. But again not very cosmopolitan.

Unfortunately if you limit your travels to destinations that have no or few beach vendors you will miss some of the most beautiful places on Earth like the Mayan Riviera and Jamaica and Central America. But take a look at some of the islands recommended and read the resort reviews to get a better feel.

Level Contributor
1,817 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for islands comparable to Bermuda?

At the risk of being repetitive, I am going to add my 2 cents. There is no island like Bermuda. We went to Barbados two years ago and were disappointed with the island. Well it was ok but not nearly as pretty as Bermuda is. Its funny though because I had heard even from Bermudians that Bardados was similar. Is found the island a bit scruffy and the people were actually rather reserved unlike Bermudians. Where were all the friendliest folks in the world that I had read about? The weather was good though and Barbados was less expensive that Bermuda. Actually, there was more of a price range for restaurants. Some higher end places were a lot more expensive that what you find in Bermuda but you could eat pretty reasonably too. The other disadvantage, at least for us, was that getting to Barbados from Boston was a bear. With all the connections and layovers, we could have been to Europe. Bermuda on the other hand is an easy 2 hour flight. Barbados always sounded exotic but for us anyway, it was not.

Another slight disappointment we had with another island that sounded so exotic was Madeira. It seems so obvious to me now but the best indicators if you are going to like an island or any destination is to search for images.

If there are only a few pictures or you see the same scenes over and over again well, maybe that is all that these places have to offer. Prior to my trips, I had read so many positive postings about the Barbados and Madeira but to tell you the truth, I found few stunning images of either destination. I didn't dislike these places but the whole time that I was there, I kept saying to myself, " Its no Bermuda".

I guess you cant compare these other two locations either but Tahiti and some Hawaiian islands did not disappoint. The beaches and environment are just dreamlike. Maybe you can compare them with Bermuda because Horseshoe beach and John Smith Bay are heaven to me.

New York
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for islands comparable to Bermuda?

I agree Bermuda is a very special place. Love the island and have been there many many times. We just went this past July, and it was perfect.

Years ago went to Barbados, liked it but it was way too big. We did the USVI of St. John a few times but have fallen in love with Anguilla. Its all about the beaches, and stand alone beach front restaurants. Its a very safe island, not the homes and elegant charm of Bermuda,but its beaches are stunning and actually make Horseshoe Beach look small! The Anguillians are wonderful and yes a bit reserved--a few of them even worked at The Reef. The Anguilla forum is a great place to learn about the island. I just got back.

Its a non stop flight out of Newark or NY to St. Martin, then a ferry over to the island.

USA
Level Contributor
30,067 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for islands comparable to Bermuda?

>>>...I had heard even from Bermudians that Bardados was similar...<<<

Sometimes the perversity of individual preference is amusing. We've some Bermudian friends who own a condo in Barbados and spend most of their '..vacation time..' there. After the real estate crash in the US, other Bermudian friends (avid golfers) purchased a home on a golf course in Florida and plan to move there permanently when they retire in a couple of years...to be closer to their children (who remained in the US after college).

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for islands comparable to Bermuda?

Some of the out islands in the Bahamas have that Bermuda charm. Harbour Island and Eleuthera come to mind. We also enjoy St. John and the Turks. Each has its advantages. It seems most of the former British colonies have a common feel (Jamaica being an exception).

Toronto
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for islands comparable to Bermuda?

In the Carribbean I would rank St. John first and Grand Cayman second. Aruba is a very close third. I've never been to Bermuda but these three choices will keep you away from beggers.

I would rank Maui and Kauai over St. John and the Carribbean as an fyi.

10. Re: Suggestions for islands comparable to Bermuda?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 22, 2013