We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The demise of sea glass hunting?

USA
Level Contributor
200 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
The demise of sea glass hunting?

There is a posting today on Cruise Critic stating there are signs posted now at the beach by Naval Dockyard stating it is 'owned by Welco and the taking of any sea glass is prohibited and persons will be prosecuted'? Is this true? Is this legal? Our trip next May was in large part to be able to hunt for sea glass...which we have done throughout the past 5 years in different Caribbean islands. Please tell me this is NOT SO!

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: The demise of sea glass hunting?

here's what the sign says

glass beach

this beach is the property of wedco and remains open and accessible for the enjoyment of all residents and visitors. it is unlawful to remove or take any items off this beach, in particular the natural sea glass if you steal it you are depriving all those that come after you. persons who choose to remove such items are liable for prosecution.

by order of wedco management

my email exchange with wedco

s - hi ____. is this an official wedco order? (photo of sign attached)

w - ...you are referring to the sign recently erected at the glass beach? if so, then yes, we are trying to stop folk taking the glass.

s - technically it's trash, right? just wondering how this can be enforced. i guess i gotta tell the tourists go look but don't touch!

w - yes, please encourage them to look but not take. if they all take, there will be no glass beach to visit.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,276 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: The demise of sea glass hunting?

Well, gottabeach, at least you know now that you can go to the beach. So I hope that you haven't cancelled your holiday. They didn't answer Sonny's question about 'trash" so it remains to be seen whether they can, or will, prosecute those taking the glass.

USA
Level Contributor
200 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: The demise of sea glass hunting?

I can't thank you enough, especially Sonny, for the communication. I realize the taking of this SeaGlass appears to have been a contentious topic given the articles in the Royal Gazette and one particularly voracious editorial about tourists taking the SeaGlass which I had seen posted. Sadly I will now need to seriously reconsider our trip and choose an island where I will not be constantly looking over my shoulder fearing prosecution for taking SeaGlass.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,276 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: The demise of sea glass hunting?

I'm sorry to hear that.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: The demise of sea glass hunting?

gottabeach, a god daytrip for you would be down to st georges where there is another beach with glass, a 40 minute ferry from dockyard then a leisurely 20 minute stroll. i know of a another little beach that you might be interested in as well.

USA
Level Contributor
200 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: The demise of sea glass hunting?

I am aware of the eastern location and had also planned to go there...frankly my worry now is....will the same "law(s)" spread there too? I have been holding off on the airline tickets pending a favorable price...once bought however, those are essentially non refundable too. At this point I would be out "just" the houseboat deposit....financially painful enough. No matter what, I can't thank you enough for your input. I am sure it is difficult to comprehend this passion for collecting SeaGlass (even for my own husband!).

North Carolina
Level Contributor
6 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: The demise of sea glass hunting?

yes -- it's very sad to see this beach closed to the public but there were 2 big issues. #1 - this will be an active construction site and WEDCO doesn't want visitors tromping through. #2 - Visitors were being quite rude by tramping through the residents private property with rakes & huge containers leaving trash, using the bushes for bathrooms and just generally being obnoxious. Not to disparage the 'cruisers' but that's where the majority of the traffic was coming from. Quite a shame to see people getting greedy. There never was an issue with polite visitors and small baggies.

USA
Level Contributor
200 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: The demise of sea glass hunting?

Is the beach now "CLOSED to the Public"? I thought there was just a sign stating you should not "steal" the sea glass.....has something changed? Is access now barred completely? Thanks.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
6 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: The demise of sea glass hunting?

You can't get to the "beach' without going thru private property

USA
Level Contributor
29,187 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: The demise of sea glass hunting?

You could rent a small, self-drive , outboard powered skiff and approach the beach from seaward. But apart from this, there are reasonable and responsible reasons for closing off landward access through private property that's also an active construction site.