We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for Senior65 and Barbados fans

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
384 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Question for Senior65 and Barbados fans

Help! I think I'm addicted to Bermuda! I saw Senior65's remark about Barbados on another post, and am looking for advice. My husband and I are longtime Bermuda fans, having made many, many trips, usually in September. However, we plan to take a week's vacation in February, and were considering Barbados.

In the past, we have traveled all throughout the Bahamas, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, etc. We are always left miserable, disappointed, and wishing we were in Bermuda, where everything is neat and clean, and the local people actually seem glad to see you. After a horrid and very frightening trip to St. Maarten, my husband made me promise never to take him anywhere but Bermuda.

I guess we are just overly picky, but there it is. We like order and civility. We like friendly people. We like to strike up conversations with the locals. And no, we don't want to buy drugs, or be around anyone offering them. Will we be disappointed with Barbados? My husband says he will go, but I can't bear to disappoint him again. Any help comparing these two islands is greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Liz

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,820 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Question for Senior65 and Barbados fans

Why take the risk of going to Barbados when you so clearly prefer Bermuda to the Caribbean islands which you have already visited? We like Bermuda very much and it is difficult to compare the two islands because in many ways they are very different from each other.

Having said that, the local people whom we met in Barbados were always friendly and helpful. We got lost several times whilst driving around the island and people, including school children, always stopped and gave us directions.

We were never offered drugs or in any way felt intimidated when we were out. We used to walk back after dark to the house we rented and were never approached by anyone. Vendors did come along the beach selling jewellry etc but moved on immediately if we said no. Taxi drivers in Bridgetown can be "in your face" but were not abusive in any serious way.

The economy seems to be quite different and there is not the same level of affluence that you see in Bermuda, but there is a high level of literacy and employment. The roads are not very good and it can be quite a scary ride on the buses! Although we have had our moments in Bermuda too!!

We would be happy to go back there.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,820 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Question for Senior65 and Barbados fans

I think that I should add that crime is everywhere where there are human beings and Bermuda is no exception. There are unsafe areas there too and tourists have been attacked and robbed and even murdered. These incidents are few but nevertheless care should be taken wherever you go. There are also drugs on the island if the reports in the local newspapers are anything to go by.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
384 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question for Senior65 and Barbados fans

You are quite right, Senior65, about crime being everywhere. I have seen Bermuda change significantly in the many years I have been going there. We never used to be warned to avoid certain neighborhoods and places. Now, well, sensible precautions are needed. Fortunately, the local Bermudians are far less pleased by this change than tourists are, and I feel sure they will get a grip on the situation. I can find more risk and danger in downtown Raleigh than any neighborhood in Bermuda.

As to Barbados, we love the sun, and in February Bermuda is just not warm enough for us. Our fantasy life would be a week in Bermuda each June, and a week in Barbados each Februrary. (Yeah, like that's gonna happen!)

Thanks so much for your insights.