We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Bermuda
Search

Bermuda cruise

Plattsburgh, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Bermuda cruise
Save

Ncl escape NY or NCL GEM Boston?

12 replies to this topic
Johnstown...
Level Contributor
671 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
1. Re: Bermuda cruise
Save

They both go to the same place....Bermuda. Since this is a forum about Bermuda, you might try a cruise forum if you want advice on which one to take.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
470 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Bermuda cruise
Save

Carnival Pride out of Baltimore is my 1st choice.

Norweigan Escape out of NYC would be my 2nd choice.

Karen

USA
Level Contributor
32,280 posts
9 reviews
40 helpful votes
3. Re: Bermuda cruise
Save

NCL's 'GEM' from Boston is a slightly older, smaller ship (though still a behemoth--2,400 passengers/1,000 crew)) with fewer amenities (restaurants, etc), 'bells 'n whistles' .

NCL's 'ESCAPE' is newer ('Breakaway' class) larger ship (behemoth--4,300 passengers/1,700 crew) with more amenities, 'bells 'n whistles.

As noted above, BOTH sail to the same destination.

The 'GEM' from Boston arrives in Bermuda on Sunday afternoon and sails on Tuesday, late-afternoon. afternoon.

The 'ESCAPE' from NYC arrives in Bermuda early Wednesday morning and sails on Friday late-afternoon...for a slightly longer port call in Bermuda.

Because of the longer, mid-week (more shops and stores open, public transportation on reduced-service Sunday schedule, NO public or NCL private ferry service between Dockyard and Saint George's on Sunday, Wednesday Harbour Nights event in downtown Hamilton, etc) port call time in Bermuda.

I'm inclined to suggest that all other considerations (travel to the Boston or NYC departure ports ??, etc.) being equal, that you go with the '..ESCAPE' from NYC for the longer time (even if only a few hours) and mid-week schedule. I suppose it can't hurt that the 'Escape' is larger and newer...but I wouldn't put these at the top of my priority list.

BUT...as noted above for more cruise specific information...you're best advised to check the individual ship information and public cruise forums at: CRUISE CRITIC-- https://www.cruisecritic.com/cruise-ships/ before making your decision....and query the Cruise Critic message BOARDS for more ship and cruise-specific information experience and advice-- https://boards.cruisecritic.com/

NCL 'GEM'-- https:/…

NCL 'ESCAPE'-- https:/…

For more specific and detailed '..BERMUDA..' destination research & planning, information, experience and advise, this TA '..BERMUDA..' travel forum will be your best resource.

Return when you figure out which ship/cruise you plan to take and you'll find a broad range of information, experience and advise on what to do/see, travel about, etc during your Bermuda port call.

USA
Level Contributor
32,280 posts
9 reviews
40 helpful votes
4. Re: Bermuda cruise
Save

Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines (RCI) and Celebrity cruise Lines (CEL) offers regular Bermuda cruises from Cape Liberty/Bayonne, NJ and Baltimore

Carnival Cruise Lines (CAR) offers Bermuda cruises out of NYC

2019 BERMUDA CRUISE SHIP SCHEDULE--

marineandports.bm/Documents/…20pdf.pdf

Plattsburgh, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
5. Re: Bermuda cruise
Save

Thank you for the timely and very informative reply. What great suggestions. I should have mentioned I have been to Bermuda before and loved it. Did some more research and will try Rscape! 😁

USA
Level Contributor
32,280 posts
9 reviews
40 helpful votes
6. Re: Bermuda cruise
Save

'..Cruises..' aren't my thing but several family and friends have done Bermuda cruises over the years aboard NCL's '.DAWN..' '..BREAKAWAY..' and '..GEM..' from NYC and have enjoyed their experiences...preferring the mid-week itineraries in Bermuda.

As a way of 'getting into' your Bermuda cruise, bookmark and SAVE the Port Bermuda (Royal Naval Dockyard) web cam to your computer's FAVORITES to check in on from time to time...see 'Gem' (to the left_ or 'Escape' (to the right ) moored to the King's/Heritage Wharf cruise ship pier at Dockyard on those days when ya' find yourself sayin', , "..Damn !!...I really need a vacation !!.."....and add Jimmy Buffet's '..HOLIDAY..' to your Music Playlist-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohGmFe57csw

DOCKYARD WEBCAM--

https://www.portbermudawebcam.com/

Plattsburgh, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
7. Re: Bermuda cruise
Save

Good idea! Thank you.

United States
Level Contributor
43,884 posts
23 reviews
59 helpful votes
8. Re: Bermuda cruise
Save

Hello ts and and welcome to the forum.

I’ve done a lot of cruising over the years and have cruised to Bermuda multiple times. While Bermuda is not my favorite destination it is a great excuse to cruise. I would highly recommend Royal Caribbean from Cape Liberty on the beautiful Anthem of The Seas. You will find it a much nicer ship that Grandeur of the Seas which sails from Baltimore. I’ve also sailed on The Carnival Pride from Baltimore and while it is a nice ship it is nowhere near the level of Anthem. I’ve never sailed Norwegian but have considered it but from my experience on cruise critic I think I would be taking a step down from RCCL.

Whatever you choose, have a great cruise. It is a great way to vacation.

USA
Level Contributor
32,280 posts
9 reviews
40 helpful votes
9. Re: Bermuda cruise
Save

RCI's Bermuda cruise itineraries will only be for one(1) day or two(2) day/one(1) night port calls.

NCL's Bermuda cruise itineraries will be for longer (more time in Bermuda), 2 1/2 day/2 night or 3 day/2 night Bermuda port calls.

Gambrills, Maryland
Level Contributor
5 posts
53 reviews
12 helpful votes
10. Re: Bermuda cruise
Save

We are doing Oceania out of NYC for the longer port time. Not too expensive considering what is included.

Reply to: Bermuda cruise
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted