We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Beach House is closed.

vancouver, british...
5 posts
Save Topic
The Beach House is closed.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I just received a letter from the management of the Beach House on Barbuda that the company is now bankrupt and the resort is closed due to bank foreclosure. It's very unfortunate since our wedding was booked there for April 2008 and now we're stuck.

Antigua, West Indies
Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Beach House is closed.

Try Jumby Bay - the quality is certainly comparable -the beach is not as endless but pretty wonderful.

Best wishes

stratford, ct
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: The Beach House is closed.

I am so sorry that you guys are going through this...My fiance and I had planned our honeymoon there for April 2008 as well....We were not contacted by anyone though...I just tried calling the hotel and got a message saying the number was disconnected...Do you have any contact info for them? We put down a 50% deposit which I have now placed in dispute w/ my credit card company. We are so angry about this and feel entitled to answers...Please let me know if you have any other information...We'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Beach House is closed.

Hi

I am so sorry this has happen. Can I suggest you post on the Antigua Newsgroup Forum as someone there may help you better than I can. Many local people post and read regulaly.

If the resort is in receivership you may nee to find the accountants/lawyers managing the shut down to get your money back.

geographia.com/cgi-bin/antiguanews/discus.pl

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Connecticut
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: The Beach House is closed.

I'm so sorry to hear about what's happening to you guys, and so close to your big day. I don't know how much this helps, but The Beach House has a sister hotel in England called "Hotel on the Park" (http://www.hotelonthepark.com/welcome.aspx). Someone at the offices there may be able to point you in a direction if you're still looking for a hotel contact.

I had the privilege of staying at this extraordinary resort in 2006 and although it's no longer there, I would recommend trying to find a way to stay on this island. Its untouched beauty is like nothing I've experienced before or after my visit there and the solitude and relaxation were exactly what my new husband and I were craving. It's well worth the effort. Good luck.

Zurich, Switzerland
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: The Beach House is closed.

Hi there,

has anyone been able to get in contact with the beach house? we had put down 50% of the money and a week before our honeymoon they called and said they were renovating. this was in December 07. they offered us to stay next winter for a 50% discount if we didn't withdraw our deposit. we tried calling them a few days ago and the phone has been disconnected.

does anyone knows who is handling this and whom to contact? we would really appreciate any links.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,970 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Beach House is closed.

According to www.barbudaful.net, Price Waterhouse Coopers-Antigua is handling things. Here's the web site. pwc.com/extweb/home.nsf/docid/9fd866f007e157… You could poke around for contact info and make some calls. If nothing else, you might get something if a buyer is found for the property. Don't get your hopes up, though.

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,970 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Beach House is closed.

Or, try the Swiss offices of PWC: http://www.pwc.ch/en/

Leesburg, Florida
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: The Beach House is closed.

Don't know if this will help but Caribbean Clubs International of which BeacH House was a part have an office in New York City. The address is 405 Park Avenue, 10th floor, New York N.Y. Don't have the phone number. They also had a resort outside of NYC near Brewster NY in a town that begins with A--Something like Ansonia or Armenia. It was called Turtles something--Trail, Tail or something like that. Shame about Beach House. We stayed there twice and really liked it

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Park Avenue
Park Avenue
392 Reviews
New York City, NY
vancouver, british...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The Beach House is closed.

I have sent this letter to a couple of people in this topic forum already but I'll post it for anyone else who is looking to get their money back from The Beach House:

31December2007

Dear Friends,

I regret to inform you that The Beach House on Barbuda will not be opening this year as planned. The Antiguan Company that owns and operates the resort, Beach Properties Barbuda Limited and the parent U.S. Company, The CCI Group, Inc. are in bankruptcy; the resort has been foreclosed on, and will be sold by the receiver in Antigua. The receiver is Charles Walwyn, 11 Old Parham Road, St. John’s, Antigua, West Indies, an employee of Pricewaterhouse Coopers on Antigua. His telephone number is 268 462 3000, his fax is 268 462 3755 and his email is charles.walwyn@ag.pwc.com

If you have a reservation with a deposit, call your credit card company and tell them you paid for a service that was not delivered. They will contact us and we will confirm that to be the case. I understand, and it has been our experience in the normal course of business and in the occurrence of reservation cancellations, that they issue you a credit or a refund check.

My apologies for this unfortunate turn of business events. The efforts of the past years did indeed result in an extraordinary level of success and happiness for guests of The Beach House.

I will be resigning effective immediately.

Sincerely,

Fred W. Jackson, Jr.

CEO

The CCI GROUP, Inc.

Director

Beach Properties Barbuda Limited

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,483 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Beach House is closed.

Mr. Jackson,

As someone who fell in love with Barbuda on our one and only visit and hopes to actually stay on the island someday (I thought The Beach House would be the most affordable option.) I have to commend you for being so incredibly decent in posting the letter to help anyone who needs to have their funds returned now that the property has unfortunately closed.

This is a great example of taking the high road and as I truly believe that all good that you do comes back to you, may your next position be even better than the one at BH! So many properties don't address problems stated by posters on these forums and what really struck me about your post was that in spite of the fact that you now have to go job hunting you still wanted to lend a hand to anyone who hasn't been contacted by the owners.

Best of luck to you!!

Get answers to your questions about Barbuda
Recent Conversations