We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Hard is the Drive to Natural Pool

Hilton Head, South...
4 posts
Save Topic
How Hard is the Drive to Natural Pool

First off, this is a great forum...thank you so much for all of you that take the time to answer our questions!

I am trying to decide if we should spend the extra $ and rent a jeep. I have seen comments on how difficult the drive to the Natural Pool is, and I'm afraid that it would be too 'rough' with a 2 and 6 year old, as well as my mom, 72.

Any opinions/experiences?

10 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Hard is the Drive to Natural Pool

Personally, I would not do this drive with this group. I honestly don't know why the Natural Pool is such a popular attraction, and certainly don't know why it would appeal to a two year old. It is a rough, dusty drive.

jl
Waltham...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,578 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Hard is the Drive to Natural Pool

I don't think I would attempt the drive with young children and your mom. It's a rough ride and can be dangerous if you don't know how to maneuver the roads.

VT
Level Contributor
89 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Hard is the Drive to Natural Pool

You may want to consider taking a break from mom& the kids and do a horse back riding tour to the natural pool. My husband & I really enjoyed that...they picked us up at our low rise on eagle beach and brought us to the stables on other side of the island and by horseback it's a beautiful ride to the pool.

Hilton Head, South...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How Hard is the Drive to Natural Pool

Thank you so much for the advice - my gut was telling me the same thing, but I think I just needed to hear it from others. Great idea on the 'taking a break' thing and just going with my husband...I think we just might have to do that!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
166 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Hard is the Drive to Natural Pool

We rented a jeep and drove to the natural pool last year - it was very difficult and not for the faint of heart - that said - later we found out that the rental agencies do not cover you if you get stuck out there or damage the jeep, etc. In fact, they state that they only cover you if you stay on the main roads. If you want to see the natural pool, hire one of the groups that are available to take you. That said, yes, it is very bumpy and uncomfortable for an older person - the kids would think it was fun I am sure....

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
482 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Hard is the Drive to Natural Pool

I was also wondering if it is worth renting a jeep just to make our way to the natural pool during our upcoming trip. We will be staying at B&B while on Aruba and the host has been very nice to answer all the questions. He actually said it is definitely not worth the money for a jeep rental just to go to Natural Pool and he personally did not see anything spectacular in the pool itself (and he is a local) and said it is full with sharp lava rocks so you always have to watch your step. According to him, apart from a pool of warm water with some fish there really isn't anything much to see. And there are places on Aruba much more pretty than that! And that was kind of what we were thinking so as far as us - we will not include Natural Pool on our to-see list. Maybe, if we get totally bored... :)

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Natural Pool
Natural Pool
2,264 Reviews
Aruba
Boston
Level Contributor
109 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Hard is the Drive to Natural Pool

Even if you don't go to the natural pool renting a jeep was the best thing we did. We got to really explore the island, we had a ride to and from the airport, we had it to get groceries,etc. I really think we would have spent way more on taxis.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How Hard is the Drive to Natural Pool

We drove their ourselves. I would not recommend it with a 72 year old and 2 young kids. I was 25 at the time and I thought I was going to die. its a ROUGH ride. PLus its in the middle of nowhere and very hot. You have to climb up and down lots of stairs plus climb into the pool via rocks. I wouldnt bring my kids there. Maybe if they were teenagers.

There is no way my 6 year old and 3 year old would have thought the ride was "fun". They would have been scared.

Also, I do recommend renting a car for your stay. But you dont need a Jeep. Jeeps cost more money and you dont need one, except to drive to the Natural Pool. Which I dont recommend you go to with a 72 year old and young children.

Edited: 10:50 am, February 07, 2012
Greenbush, Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How Hard is the Drive to Natural Pool

would not take children that young there, it's quite a long walk down, rocks by pool slippery if you go at all take the tour trucks let them drive as they know the terrain.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How Hard is the Drive to Natural Pool

Definitely do not bring a 2 year old or 6 year old to the Natural Pool.

Oops this post is old and I already replied!

Edited: 9:23 pm, November 20, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Natural Pool
Natural Pool
2,264 Reviews
Aruba
Reply to: How Hard is the Drive to Natural Pool
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Arikok National Park
More Arikok National Park Topics