We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Explore Arikok with a Yaris?

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Explore Arikok with a Yaris?

We are renting a Yaris this trip and plan on visiting Arikok. Am wondering if a Yaris will be satisfactory to get there and getting around. Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,395 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Explore Arikok with a Yaris?

Yes. The only place you will not be able to get to is the Natural Pool.

CT
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Explore Arikok with a Yaris?

you also wont really be able to explore some of the rutted roads past the gold mines heading toward the lighthouse. It all depends where you start.

I have however seen a couple locals and rentals traverse the deeply rutted inclines in cars. I just wouldnt recommend it.

we like to drive up to the lighthouse, and start our exploration there... Taking the dirt roads that start between the golf course and past the light house... They bring you on a really scenic shorline drive that ends up near the gold mines. There are various ways to begin a northern coast exploration, but i really think that way gives you the best taste of the island.

SE USA
Level Contributor
759 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Explore Arikok with a Yaris?

I want to do that trip this year...we leave for the island in two days...

Do you just drive the road to the lighthouse and then go offroad right there up by the lighthouse and head south?

Where do you "come back to civilization"...on whar road or at what landmark?

Thanks!

Edited: 10:52 am, June 12, 2011
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Explore Arikok with a Yaris?

We have done it in everything from a SUV to a tiny econo car. They have done a lot of work on the roads in the park so it is much easier to traverse then it used to be, still, there will be some places that you should not try to get to in a small car. You wisdom and commonsense and you will be fine. There is a lot to see staying on the roads that have been worked on so maybe stick to them. We always go to Dosplaya Beach and the road that leads there off the main road is a little hairy with out some suspension.

CT
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Explore Arikok with a Yaris?

if you just drive to the the light house... as you are leaving the road kinda heads out north i think actually for a bit, then east... (south if i recall is back to the hotel zone). Just look for the dirt road and likely other jeeps in the distance. Stay on that path (there are actually a couple paths that run next to each other), and eventually it will come out near the goldmines, chapel, etc.

then from there - to the natural bridge, arikok park, and you are mid to mid eastern north side of the island.

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
4,944 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Explore Arikok with a Yaris?

sherban you can drive past the lighthouse to get to Bushiribana gold mill ruins, Alto Vista chapel and collapsed natural bridge. There is small natural bridge there adjacent.

Along the way on the oceanside there is a beautiful natural bridge over a sandy beach.

Depending upon the condition of the dirt path, you can do it in a car. An SUV, 4 x 4 or AWD is probably preferable.

Unless you have 4 x 4 or ATV you will be unable to get from the Natural bridge to Arikok without going inland.

From the natural bridge take the exit road inland. Follow road 6 to Santa Cruz and road 7 and the entrance to Arikok National Park. wikimapia.org/…h

Once you are in the park there is Dos Playa, Boca Prins, white sand dunes, Fontein & Guadirikiri Caves. As you can see on the map, you can enter from the south www.arubanationalpark.org/index.php…

We usually split it up into two mornings do the north end on one day and Arikok on another. Four hours in the car is about the max for our dd. She brings her Nintendo DS to keep herself occupied.

Reply to: Explore Arikok with a Yaris?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Arikok National Park
More Arikok National Park Topics