We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All-inclusive vs. not all-inclusive Hyatt vs. Occidental

Lady Lake, Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
162 reviews
Save Topic
All-inclusive vs. not all-inclusive Hyatt vs. Occidental

I have another question regarding the all-inclusive plan. We could stay at either Hyatt or Radisson room only OR for an additional $600 per person stay at the all-inclusive Occidental. Is it worth the $600 or would we be better off buying everything ourselves? I know that Aruba is expensive, but hearing some of the bad food/drink reviews of Occidental, it makes me nervous. Anyone? Thanks!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All-inclusive vs. not all-inclusive Hyatt vs. Occidental

I believe the majority of people will suggest not doing AI in Aruba. The restaurants are great - and there are so many of them to choose from.

I was looking at Occidental for my parents and found the prices to be quite high. They opted to stay at Marriott instead and go it on their own for meals.

My personal opinion is that you could stay at Hyatt or Marriott or Rad and eat at some great restaurants all week for equal to - or maybe even less than - Occidental. (That's just my personal opinion.)

Good luck with your decision and enjoy!

Lady Lake, Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All-inclusive vs. not all-inclusive Hyatt vs. Occidental

Thank you for the information. Do you know about what to expect for drink/cocktail prices at Hyatt/Radisson type places in Aruba? We tend to drink alot on vacation. Thanks again.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All-inclusive vs. not all-inclusive Hyatt vs. Occidental

LOL!!! Love the comment about drinking a lot on vacation.

The drink prices are a bit high at the hotels. Happy hour usually has 2-1 drinks, though. Depending on what you're drinking - the range could be $6.00 - $10.00.

Lady Lake, Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All-inclusive vs. not all-inclusive Hyatt vs. Occidental

I looked on the Hyatt website under menus and just for breakfast buffet it's $18.00 + 15% service charge per day. That's $144 for breakfast only each for a week. Add a few (several) drinks per day and it will add up fast. I think we will stick with the all-inclusive and just plan on going out for dinner a couple of times off-property. Thanks very much for your help!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
629 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All-inclusive vs. not all-inclusive Hyatt vs. Occidental

I have done alot of research on this exact topic... I know you "shouldn't" do AI in Aruba. We actually found the Occidental Club Level a much better deal as well vs. a Concerigre Room at the Radisson.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
629 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All-inclusive vs. not all-inclusive Hyatt vs. Occidental

I have done alot of research on this exact topic... I know you "shouldn't" do AI in Aruba. We actually found the Occidental Club Level a much better deal as well vs. a Concerigre Room at the Radisson.

KVR
Odessa, Texas
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All-inclusive vs. not all-inclusive Hyatt vs. Occidental

We will never do another vacation non-AI unless it's absolutley not offered. If you tend to drink a lot on vacation - like we do, it's just so worth it in the end.

When we orginally booked our Aruba vacation at the Holiday Inn we went with everyone's recommendation and did not chose the AI package. In May, we went to T & C and did not go AI there because everyone also said the same thing. "The dining is great on the Island, don't go AI eat at the local resturants" . We so regretted it. The resturants were expensive. Entrees started at $25+, beer at $5 for the local can beer, mixed drink $7, martinis $10. Though the food at the restaurants were good, it really wasn't anything to write home about and definatley not worth the price.

We we returned, we immediatley called out TA and requested she add the AI package to our Aruba vacation. By waiting and adding it on later it only cost us $420 for the both of us ($210 p/p) for the entire week. Such a great deal. If we had chosen AI upfront when we orginally booked our vacation it would have been an extra $1,100 for the both of us. We are finally leaving for Aruba tomorrow. We still plan on eating a few meals at some of the off property restaurants.

Check and see if the hotel your interested in offers just a breakfast and drink plan. Some do. If not, do you think you and your partner will eat/drink $1,200 worth of food/alcohol for your entire vacation? We spent $750 on food, drink, and transportation to/from restaurants in T & C and we were skrimping. When we went to the HI in Grand Cayman, we had an AI package. We had to sign for everything and then they took it off our bill at check out. We spent over $1,400.

I would be interested in knowing how much people spent on their non-AI Aruba vacation. That doesn't include people who have time shares or have the use of kitchens and cook on vacation. But, the peope who actually paid for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and drinks for their entire vacation. Might be the topic of a new thread.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All-inclusive vs. not all-inclusive Hyatt vs. Occidental

The breakfast at Marriott is approximately $22.00 day for buffet. But we certainly don't feel the need to eat it every day. Some day we just want some fruit and coffee. It's the same situation with dinner. We will go all out for dinner a few nights while we're on vacation. But we normally don't want to do it every single night. Sometimes we'll just grab a sandwich and a Balashi somewhere.

As I originally said (and this is just us, personally) we feel that the extra $1200 for the AI could put us in a really beautiful hotel and allow us to eat at the restaurants we want, etc.

If AI works best for you, I'm sure you'll enjoy the Occidental. The pictures since renovation make it look like a really beautiful hotel.

Happy planning!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All-inclusive vs. not all-inclusive Hyatt vs. Occidental

KVR - Let's do that - really. It would be interesting to see. In fact, I'm going to look for some of the paperwork from our last two trips and add it up. Of course it will be higher for our honeymoon vacation - but I'm curious to dig up all of the receipts and invoices from last October.

Since you're trip is sooner than mine, I nominate YOU to start the new thread. ;-)

KVR
Odessa, Texas
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All-inclusive vs. not all-inclusive Hyatt vs. Occidental

Shamrock. OK here goes........ (see new thread)

Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach