Hello... i'm hoping someone who has visited the Occidental Grand recently can help clarify a few things. we are NOT staying as part of the royal club or what ever it's called! We've visited many AI's all over carribean and mexico. We have a few questions:
1) we have a transfer provided by DePalm tours - usually we request a "direct" or "Private" transfer so that we don't have to endure 6 stops at other hotels before we get to ours - we're coming in on a saturday - would this be recommmended?
2) bedding - how is the bedding - soft and comfy, nice pillows or hard and flat pillows?
3) room number - we've paid for deluxe ocean view - any suggestions on a good room or area?
4) Beach or Pool? we are normally pool people, full sun - but there appears from the pics to be a lot of trees around the pool area - and if it's a fight to get a chair - whats the preferred?
5) buffets - is there plenty of seating at the buffets so we don't have to fight for a table at dinner, lunch, breakfast?
6) are the restaurants by reservation and how easy is it to get a reservation or get into the restaurants if no reservation required
7) drinks - how are the drinks - will they "top it off" if i find it's a little light?
8) we're coming in Saturday 4/6 - saturday 4/13 - how much time is customary to allow to get back to the airport and through customs, etc... on our return? how is customs at this airport? we just returned from Jamaica and they have changed things now, you don't need to clear in Jamaica on your way out - they do spot searches before loading the plane, but no customs lines to deal with.
9) it appears from the Occidental that there are many restaurants and shopping all within walking distance - is this the case ? is walking at night and are shops open in the evenings? I think i read someplace that they are closed on sundays?
thank you very much for any and all input - i'm a bit concerned as the occidental reviews haven't been stellar of late - i'm not a high end resort or hotel girl, but i like good service, good food and a comfortable stay for my money!