We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money for food

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
124 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
money for food

I will be staying at the Marriott Stelaris this July. How much money will I need to bring for food? I plan on eating breakfast and lunch at the Marriott but going elsewhere within walking distance for dinner. Also, how much does it cost to rent a palapa for the week and what is a reasonable tip to leave the maid each day? Thank you in advance for your help.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,500 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money for food

Food at the Marriott is very costly, we spent almost 40 dollars on breakfast for 2. American breakfast 22.95, they have buffett at I think 23 a person. Still alot I would wonder around outside the resort and eat, there are many choices.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money for food

Or you could look into the Tradewinds...try to negotiate and bring the upgrade cost down. We'll be there in a week, so I'll do a TR on impressions and cost effectiveness of the Tradewinds at the Marriott.

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: money for food

I budget about $200 per day for my wife and I which includes breakfast, lunch, dinner and drinks...but I drinks a bit, donchaknow.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: money for food

Open bar each night at the tradewinds...

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
872 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: money for food

<<Or you could look into the Tradewinds...try to negotiate and bring the upgrade cost down. We'll be there in a week, so I'll do a TR on impressions and cost effectiveness of the Tradewinds at the Marriott.>>

We stayed on the Tradewinds floor last year. The breakfast they provide was fine for us, as was their light lunch. It also helped having access to water, soda and beer for no additional charge throughout the day (we likely would have run up a huge bill on that alone). I would not count on this taking the place of your dinner however - they had light fare at their evening cocktail reception, but it was not a full dinner (nor should that really be expected as it is pretty much just a slightly souped-up concierge lounge).

<<how much does it cost to rent a palapa for the week>>

I do not believe that they charge for palapas on the main beach, but you cannot rent one "for the week". We saw fairly hefty lines each morning to reserve them for the day around 7 AM each day. Another perk for the Tradewinds floor, they have a section of the beach (with palapas) reserved exclusively for guests on that floor.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: money for food

Tober138,

Read your TR on the Tradewinds. It sounds like just what we're looking for on Aruba. I do like the cocktails at the Tradewinds and then out for supper. We rented a car since this is our first time on the island. However, most of the time will be spent on the beach or in the water. It was 21 F here yesterday morning, so I'm ready for some hot weather!

7. Re: money for food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, December 15, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach