We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car reservations?

Which Palm - Eagle Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shepherd,MI
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
car reservations?

We are leaving for Aruba in two weeks. Is it neccessary to reserve a rental car ahead of time? Has anyone seen a shortage of rental cars upon arriving? We visited St. Martin for our Honeymoon and rented a jeep for the week. We have never preplanned our rental and seem to get good deals. Will this work in Aruba?

Beach Haven...
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: car reservations?

nelly21,I think if there is a specific kind of vehicle you have in mind I would go ahead and book it prior to going.

There are some good discounts that you can get online.It would be one less thing you would need to decide on when you arrive which means more time to enjoy.

Have fun.

Bloomsburg, PA
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car reservations?

Talked to our travel agent today and discussed car rental in Aruba... whether to reserve one ahead of time. He called the Hertz desk at the Marriott (where we'll be staying in July) and was told that if you want a 4 wheel drive vehicle, you really should book ahead of time. He was told that if we were in Aruba right now trying to reserve a 4 wheel drive (at the Hertz desk at the Marriott anyway) none are available. Our agent also priced the other major rental agencies, and Hertz is the cheapest. I'd guess if you want to go with a no-name local car rental place, maybe you could get a better deal. Hope this helps.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
459 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: car reservations?

Nelly, I would rent ahead of time, that way you know what you are getting and for how much...nothing like a nasty $ surprise or not getting what you wanted. Like Gobeach mentioned, there are some better deals if you rent online prior to going. We have rented from Royal twice now and they have provided us with excellent customer service, before, during and after the rental!

http://www.arubaroyal.com/

Here is a site with some of the local rental companies....

www.visitaruba.com/plus/carrentals.html

Good luck!

Boston...
Level Contributor
295 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car reservations?

We leave for Aruba Saturday !! We rented a jeep from Royal, they have a special if you book on line you receive a 15% discount. They had the best deal I could find and I looked at them all. Good luck !

North Carolina
Level Contributor
459 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: car reservations?

Travelidol, if you rent for more than 5 days, you also get a free cell phone for the rental period...then all you have to do is add minutes to it with a phone card bought in the local store (or at the mini mart in your hotel). We were able to talk to our family at anytime from the U.S. and avoid the resort local phone charges for reservations, etc.! Biedjma is fantastic, he is always so helpful with any questions or concerns I have, and very prompt in returning e-mails. Have a great time on your vacation!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
295 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car reservations?

Ready, thanks for the tip on the cell phone, traveling with two teenage girls with boyfriends back home I'm sure we'll need one !!

Maryland
Level Contributor
392 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car reservations?

Strange question... but we are planning to rent a nice convertable for our week in Aruba. I can't tell, but the pics look like the plaster the name of the car rental company on the side of the door. This would irritate me because it would make it seem less special (fancy) so to speak. Is that just for the sites or do people have to drive around with advertisments painted on the door?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
459 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: car reservations?

Not all companies do that, I think most have a little sticker in the back window. Have you ever been to Aruba? The reason I ask, is it is VERY HOT! And I haven't seen a whole lot of nice convertibles, other than the open top, (no A/C) Jimny type 4X4s. Depending on when you go, it may be too hot to have the top down, and when you get in the traffic you will be torched, or on the back dusty roads...you will be filthy.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
14,898 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car reservations?

Some have it on the side of the door, some have a sticker in the back window, and some have a bumper sticker. But they will all have the letter "V" as the first letter on the license plate to signify that it's a rental car.

Maryland
Level Contributor
392 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car reservations?

We were planing to rent the mustang convertible from Royal (I think that's the one). Does anyone know how they do theirs? I'm not worried about the liscense plate. Just don't want the car to look tacky. Do you think we are going the wrong direction with the Convert then? I thought it would be nice. We could put the roof up on the back roads. And it supposedly has air.

Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach