We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phones

sylvania ohio
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cell phones

Can you tell if you can text back home with the cell phones you can rent in Aruba?

Central NJ
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phones

I just called my carrier (Verizon) to ask the same question. She told me I should be able to place and receive calls and texts without adding an international plan. My rates are $1.99 per minute (calls) and $.50 to send text, $.05 to receive; however, she said nothing is guaranteed. I would call your carrier.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
15 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell phones

I was in Aruba April '08 and my cell phone did not work at all. I had Verizon at that time. Maybe things have changed.

Level Contributor
214 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell phones

I have Verizon and just returned from Aruba. Verizon told me to dial "*228 send" to activate roaming. My phone never worked. I was unable to receive to send texts too.

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell phones

We had no service with Verizon and it was BLISS.

I hope things work out for you, though!

Clifton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
804 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell phones

Verizon usually works in Aruba. I just returned last night and Verizon was not working for the past 11 days. I received text messages 5 days after they were sent and after arriving in Newark my phone went nuts with the back messages. Call Verizon before you go to see what's up. I did the update thing before I went.

Boston
Level Contributor
974 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell phones

Sounds like recent problems because when we were there in Feb there was a women receiving and sending texts via verizon.

Washington D.C.
Level Contributor
219 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell phones

Does anyone know if AT&T will work there? Thanks!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,644 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell phones

You need to call your carrier (AT&T) and ask them. There are so many different plans and types of phones that you need to call your carrier directly to find out if you will have service in Aruba. Also be sure to ask them the cost for both incoming and outgoing calls while you're there. It's never cheap while in Aruba. I use my T-Mobile phon/service while I'm in Aruba and the charge is $1.49/minute. Needless to say, I do not use my phone more than 30-40 minutes during my vacation. :)

Boston
Level Contributor
448 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cell phones

Beginning of July, Verizon worked. AT&T worked 2 years ago when I had them. Cell phones get pricey, so beware. Not that I am saying not to use, don't abuse.

Emmett Idaho
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cell phones

Iv herd its cheaper to buy a new sim card with a local # in aruba through your carrier before you go.

Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach
Recent Conversations