We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for all-inclusive caribbean

Which Palm - Eagle Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Topic
looking for all-inclusive caribbean

We would like to take our family (six kids 20-27) for a vacation in Oct 2006. We are looking for all-inclusive with beach,snorkeling and some kind of nightlife. Any suggestion?

Canada
Level Contributor
168 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for all-inclusive caribbean

You should look into Cancun or the Mayan Riveria, Mexico. You can find great beaches, snorkeling and nightlife in both places.

2. Re: looking for all-inclusive caribbean

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:35 am, August 15, 2005
CANADA
Level Contributor
581 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: looking for all-inclusive caribbean

I agree with emilyny. Aruba doesn't have very good all-inclusive resorts compared to other Caribbean destinations and Mexico. If you don't go all-inclusive in Aruba, it can get to be very expensive because drinks (especially) and food can be expensive and kids in your age group like to drink and eat a lot.

Cancun is party central and more Americanized/commercialized compared to the Mayan Riviera area while the Mayan Riviera is more old Mexico with wonderful new all-inclusive resorts. There is wonderful snorkeling in this area and lots of nightlife in either Playa del Carmen or Cancun. Collectivos are a very cheap a great way to get around in the Mayan Riviera area. There are also a lot to explore in this area such as Mayan ruins, cenotes to swim/snorkel in and eco/water parks. I can personally recommend the Barcelo Maya resort that has on site snorkeling on one of the best beaches in the area and one of the best discos in the area. Here is a private website that will give you more information about this resort, but there are many other wonderful resorts in this area of Mexico.

http://www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/

Have a great vacation know matter where you choose to go.

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: looking for all-inclusive caribbean

If you decide to go to Mexico, be sure to purchase trip insurance as October is still considered hurricane season!

CANADA
Level Contributor
581 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: looking for all-inclusive caribbean

Good thing you mention that Island Hopper. That is good advise anywhere you travel in hurricane season, even Aruba as Aruba is NOT outside the hurricane belt as commonly believed.

Here is a report about this subject from the Meterological Services of Netherlands Antilles and Aruba.

meteo.an/meteo2/…climleeward

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: looking for all-inclusive caribbean

True, though extremely unlikely, it is possible for Aruba to be hit by a hurricane. To my knowledge, it last happened in the 60s! By the way, do you know if the Barcelo Maya has been returned to fully functional after Emily struck?

CANADA
Level Contributor
581 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: looking for all-inclusive caribbean

Yes, the Barcelo Maya has practically everything fully functional and should have everything back up to normal as of mid-September or even earlier and the only thing that really needs to be put back to normal is the pier which is suppose to be built by that date. For now people are getting lobster every day to make up for the inconveniences while working on fixing the resort. The Mexicans are very hard working people and eager to get things back to normal. If anyone wants to check on the progress of this, just check the thread for this on the discussion forum on the website I posted previously.

Island Hopper, there was a hurricane warning out for Aruba last fall when hurricane Ivan went through. Luckily Ivan just missed Aruba, but there was damage to some hotels, major flooding and some beach erosion. Hurricanes are a gamble anywhere in the Caribbean during hurricane season.

It won't be long now Island Hopper (Aug. 22) till you are on your way to this area of Mexico. Have a great time and enjoy!

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: looking for all-inclusive caribbean

Glad to hear it! I completely agree about the Mexican work ethic...it's very strong indeed. Tourism is also a major part of the economy down there so I have no doubts that they work very hard to right things when the weather takes a turn for the worse.

jar
california
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: looking for all-inclusive caribbean

I would look at the Secret Capri in the Mayan Riveria...near Playa Del Carmen,Mexico. Unbelievably service, food, drinks, weather, and fun!

chatham
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: looking for all-inclusive caribbean

the holiday inn sunspree is great . we went 2 years in a row and all the wait staff and beach activities remebered us. the hotel is in three towers with a mall joining them. drinks where awesome to say the least. the seabreeeze beach restaurant is a heck of a good time. the food was good to great. t-bone steaks for dinner at beach grill. buffet is good and mirmar is a la carte with some meals being a few doolars at most for prime rib but extremely well worth it. the only bad thing i can say is depalm island is tourist trap. only place to swim is not cleanest and out in ocean is extremely rough and not accessible by the beach due to all corel. dangerous to try to get in rough and sharp corel. the rest is awesome friendliest place i have been. shopping is limited if you want vendor type dealings. shops are reasonable. taxi or rent a car cheap but be sure to get morning paper for best rentals deals even for tours of island. we went snorkling first thing in am before catamaran or other tours got out there and it was so awesome. we could not see each other 10 feet after due to all the fish. we wnt to the antilla. sunken ship about 100metres long and up to 50 feet deep. but if you want to see tons of fish see jungle george on the palm/eagle peach by the holiday inn. the rooms are very clean and spacious with refrigators so you can ask guys a t bar for extras to bring to room. i may be a bit bious but we loved it and can wait to go back. the boardwalk extends across all high rise hotels you cna walk up and visit other resorts no problem. if you need any help or more info please email me. punkyzguy@hotmail.com. also costa rica is great. very comparable.