We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

golf in aruba

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
golf in aruba

I hope someone can answer the following questions

We are staying at the Occidental Grand Aruba

Do they have scooters or wave runners to rent and what do they charge.

What are the golf courses nearby like and what do they charge..

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,713 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: golf in aruba

For golf, Google Divi Golf In Aruba for info on a 9 hole course. Also Google Tierra del Sol Golf for info on an 18 hole course.

Occidental is on Palm Beach. Plenty of wave runners, banana boat rides, etc in the area.

washington DC
Level Contributor
420 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: golf in aruba

I played Tierra del Sol Golf course and it is a very fine layout and well maintained. The greens are fast, the fairways are fairly wide and some holes have carries over environmental areas. It's a real challenge, usually a wind of 15 mph so club selection becomes an issue. You should enjoy it and be sure to have lunch in the restaurant after golf, it's very good. BTW, the spa there is terrific if your wife enjoys that sort of thing. My wife had breakfast and enjoyed a spa day while I played. They have a nice quiet pool area with a great view.

Keller Tx.
Level Contributor
224 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: golf in aruba

As I said in an earlier post, if you are the kind

of guy that MUST GOLF on vacation, then play

TDS or Divi, actually DIVI looked to be in FAR

BETTER shape when I was in Aruba. If you are the type that dives also I would spend the dollars and time underwater as it is IMO money far better spent.

If I pay $150.00 plus to play golf the course

better be flawless, TDS, is a golf course

on a volcanic type beach. In the DFW area it would

be an average public course, DIVI greens and fairways

were in FAR BETTER condition. WARNING.......if you rent clubs at TDS. Check EACH CLUB for excess wear

and tear. MAKE SURE, you have ALL YOUR CLUBS! I was shorted a 3 iron and even though I never use one I caught it after what seemed a VERY RUSHED "here are your clubs go tee off event" ie. I didn't get to pick the set I used. I broke the only club I have ever broken in my life (BTW, I don't pound clubs after bad shots) a Nike

Sasq. driver. I never disputed paying for it but I wanted the club head after I paid for it. There

is a little twerp named Heinrich that as I can tell

sprays distance markings just ahead of you as you play and wipes off clubs when you come in. He tried to call security on me when I insisted on keeping the club head, his GM intervened and I left with the club.

BTW, the driving range looks like it was hit by 2 A-10's with 6 500 lb bombs, there are colored poles

that sit in the middle of the moon cratered field they use for a range.

I guess you now know how I feel about TDS and my opinion was shared by the VERY ACCOMPLISHED golfers I played with. Next time, we dive.

Philadelphia...
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: golf in aruba

We golfed at the Divi Links course a few weeks ago - was about $220 for two greens fees, cart, two sets of rentals, and a few sleeves of balls. I found the course to be surprisingly challenging and in pretty darn good condition. I was also glad that we bought extra balls - when I lost one to the bushes - there was no way I was going to dig it out!! I found the rental clubs to be in excellent condition. My new husband - a much more avid golfer than I - was so happy that we got out to play and that the course was nice. Watch out for the wind - it seems to always hook my shot right into the water!!

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: golf in aruba

First..Mermac...congrats to you and the new hubby!

I too enjoy the Divi and find it challenging for a 10 handicap duffer like me...especially with a two-club wind. The staff...from the front desk to the rangers to the beer babes are a delight.

However, my wife likes when I play Terra Del Sol because of the amazing atmosphere on the terraces, the spa to die for (her words) and some of the best vittles on the island. From a golf perspective, the golf was fun and challenging.

Now with all those kudos...a few cautionary tales:

1. Aruba golf is expensive especailly in high season, but not prohibitive by typical Scottsdale or Vegas standards. Figure a couple $100 for the day (golf, beers, lunch, balls, beers, etc.) and add more if ya go crazy in the proshop.

2. Do not expect the courses in Aruba, or for that matter in most of the Caribbean, to be groomed like resort courses in the US. I have always found a foot-wedge will take care of any problems with the lie.

3. If you can't play in the wind...remember all those years of Jack Nicholas videos teaching us to hit it high and soft?...order more beers!

Just like anywhere else you play, it is what you make of it...For me in January and February it is a blast...Enjoy!

Keller Tx.
Level Contributor
224 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: golf in aruba

PlayMike, how you like my LSU Tigers????

Good game.

7. Re: golf in aruba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, September 16, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach