We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Occidental first choice

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Occidental first choice

Has anyone stayed at the Occidental Grand with First choice, have heard that First Choice customers only get rooms from 3rd Floor down, just wanted to know if this is true. We are going or our 10th Wedding Anniversary in October and really looking forward to something special, but I don't think we will even get a sea view from the 3rd floor.

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Occidental first choice

Although I am not familar with First Choice, you can get a sea view from any floor at the Occidental, but not from every room. Some have only partial sea views as well. Perhaps you can make a request with the tour company?

Have a great anniversary, the Occidental is very nice, you will enjoy yourself. =)

Liverpool
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Occidental first choice

Yes we have stayed in the last couple of months. It is true that first choice only have the bottom three floors. When we booked with them our tickets said garden view, we ended up with car park view! When mentioned to the rep she told me I had a sea view which if you cranked your neck to the right was true! The only down side was we got no sun to the balcony but didn't spend huge amounts of time there anyhow.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Occidental first choice

Yes we went in june this year and got a room on the second floor overlooking the car park. Our booking said garden view. A lot of the first choice customers were complaining. We got moved to a room on the second floor with a partial and I mean partial pool view. Some people we met managed to get moved to the sixth floor ,one couple told us they paid an extra £350 for this. Some people did not get moved at all. If I were in your position I would have this out with First Choice before you go.It could save you a lot of upset. As I said in my review 5000 miles is a long way to travel for a car park view. Hope you get it sorted.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Occidental first choice

All the First Choice customers that we spoke to whilst there were given the worst of the rooms, either overlooking the car park next door or right in the corner always on the first couple of floors. The hotel operates over 90% occupancy and whilst we were there they were 98% full (July the quiet season). We were on our honeymoon so upgraded to Royal Club at a cost of $130 per night. Royal Club are on the top 3 floors and we were on the top the last room on the block so had great views. We felt the Royal Club was worth the money. If you read about problems with people checking in this does not affect first choice as FC customers are taken to the ballroom to check in and everything is ready. Royal Club check in is on the 9th floor with your personal concierge.

It beats me why FC customers are given the worst of the rooms considering we stay for 2 weeks and most of the Americans stay for 5 - 7 nights.

Also don't forget a UK-US plug adapter as you cant buy them on the Island.

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Occidental first choice

How much of a savings is this First Choice?? We don't have it here.

Sherborne, United...
Level Contributor
220 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Occidental first choice

First Choice is the only tour operator providing Aruba as a holiday destination in the UK. So going with First Choice is the only option. Am staying at the Occidental next May, and after reading these posts i will definately speak with First Choice and try and request a different floor level. Does anyone know how much it would cost to upgrade for the 2 weeks?? the holiday at the moment is costing us about £3,500 for 3 of us, so is pretty expensive in the first place, so really would be disappointed to be given a poor room!

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Occidental first choice

That sounds pretty expensive...did you try just booking the room and flight directly with the hotel and airline instead of going through a tour company? Sometimes it's cheaper in the long run.

Paramus, New Jersey
Level Contributor
757 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Occidental first choice

I was just curious; I'm not up on my exchange rates, but how much would 3500 pounds be in dollars? Does this rate also include your airfare?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Occidental first choice

exchange rate at the moment is around the $2/£1 so its $7000. This price includes airfare from UK, 14 nights all inclusive accom and airport transfers.

If there are 3 of you and you want to upgrade to Royal Club they have junior suites for around $200 per night extra or you could just upgrade to a standard junior suite which are on the higher floors of the left tower.

Sherborne, United...
Level Contributor
220 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Occidental first choice

Chrisandem,

would you know how much the standard suite on the higher floors of left tower would cost?? and the $200 a night for the junior suite - is that per person per night, or for the room per night??

thanks

Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach