We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alli inclusive or room only?

Which Palm - Eagle Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
greenock...
3 posts
Save Topic
alli inclusive or room only?

can anyone help? my wife and i are going to aruba in september but are unsure on what type of board too choose! room only or all inclusive? is aruba an expensive place to dine and have drinks. what is the average price of a meal and what are the average prices of drinks i.e. bottle of beer/wine, champagne. we are staying at the amsterdam manor beach resort. please supply as much info as possible.

thanks

Kevin.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,021 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: alli inclusive or room only?

Since you are staying at Amsterdam Manor and they have kitchens, you can cut your food costs a bit by doing some grocery shopping (and alcohol shopping) at the local grocery stores. We stay at Amsterdam Manor and do most of our breakfasts and lunches "in" and then go out for a nice dinner.

The website below has links to most of the restaurants in Aruba - you can usually find their menu and prices on most of the websites. Hopefully, that will give you a better idea of food costs.

http://www.restaurantsaruba.com/all.html

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: alli inclusive or room only?

ArubaAmy gave you good advice. You will find out a lot if you follow her guidelines.

Beer at a beach bar is around $5.00. Mixed drinks are in the $7.50 to $8.50 range.

Restaurants vary widely in price. Dinner for two at a decent moderate cost restaurant will cost about $75.00 with tip and wine included. Some of the more upscale restaurants will cost close to twice that amount.

A sample of moderate - Pirate's Nest at Bucuti Beach Hotel, FrenchSteakhouse at Manchebo Beach Hotel; Mambo Jambos and Iguana Joe's downtown.

Upscale - Ventanas Del Mar at the Golf Course, Flying Fishbone a long taxi ride, Marandi's close to the airport and Madame Janette.

It's difficult to judge how much you will spend not knowing your dining/drinking habits. I allow $200.00/day to eat well, pay for taxis and drink more than I do at home.

Check out the menus of the restaurants that I mentioned and any others you might come accross in your search.

Morristown, NJ
Level Contributor
280 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: alli inclusive or room only?

We just returned this evening from a 5-day trip to Aruba. While we are not "cheap", we're also not people with unlimited funds. We managed to save quite a bit of money by staying in a place with a kitchen (Paradera Park Apts...loved it; will post a review later this week) and finding more "moderate" places to eat at night.

We also saved money by eating occasionally at Subway, but we did have a nice lunch at Rumba's (in Oranjestaad) and a couple of nice dinners. Last night we ate at Pincho's, which is a cute, romantic restauarant on a pier over the water where you can watch the sun set. Dinner for two (with drinks) came to about $80 US.

On Monday we ate at the Buccaneer (seafood). The meal was good but the service was horrible. We talked to some other patrons who said that was not usually the "norm" (bad service). Dinner for two with drinks came to about $60, and the place was listed as "moderate" in the guidebook.

We also ate at Salt n Pepper...we had tapas and burgers and a couple of beers and it came to about $50.

I would've liked to have tried some of the more expensive restaurants (El Gaucho, Madame Janette, Papamiento, etc.) but we were on a limited budget for this trip. (Perhaps if we return someday, we will!)

You can also buy beer (ie: Barashi, the local beer) at supermarkets and I believe a 6-pack will cost you about $5 US (if you have a kitchen/fridge in your room).

If I had to pick between an AI and not, I'd opt not to, since Aruba has a plethora of good restaurants to choose from!!

hth,

S1

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
680 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: alli inclusive or room only?

I have stayed room only at the mill and A/I at the holiday Inn

I enjoyed sitting at the pool bar at the holiday Inn but I spent so much of my time on snorkel trips which included food& drinks

and half the week my nights out blackhog saloon tattoo party bus included dinner so it was kind of a break even

I feel it depends no how much time you intend to spent away from your resort if you are always on the go it might not be worth it

its nice to fall back on if you wallet starts getting empty

but I wouldnt want to be trapped

//You can also buy beer (ie: Barashi, the local beer) at supermarkets and I believe a 6-pack will cost you about $5 US (if you have a kitchen/fridge in your room).

//

I think beer prices in aruba have actually gone down

I remember a 6-pack of 7 ounce barashi was $13 but that was at at bar

I find a room with a fridge to be very important

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
361 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: alli inclusive or room only?

We do not go AI because of the availabillity of good restaurants. If you are concerned, you could always do a dine around for dinner or breakfast, but there are decent places where you don't have to empty your wallet. Downtown has some good spots and the menus are posted so you would know what you are getting before you go in. Aruba is probably no more expensive than any big city if that is any help. Some AI do not include alchohol, so I would check first to be sure.

Hope this helps.

Bridgewater, New...
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: alli inclusive or room only?

I would definitely not take an all inclusive in Aruba. There are just too many places to eat. Even if you don't want to spend a lot of money, it would at least get you into different areas of the island to explore. Or skimp a couple of days/nights so that you can have one really nice dinner.

Boston...
Level Contributor
161 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: alli inclusive or room only?

We opted for the AI (Divi) because we didn't want to worry about our budget. We were happy with our decision.

Montpelier, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: alli inclusive or room only?

We, too, are going to the Divi all inclusive, but plan to eat some meals out during the week. It's nice to know your vacation is paid for up front and you can eat and drink all you want, but if you want to go off property to eat you can.

9. Re: alli inclusive or room only?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, August 21, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Palm - Eagle Beach