We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Little Europe Jewelry Store in Aruba

Westbury
Level Contributor
18 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic

My wife and I have been visiting Aruba for over 30 years, every single year.

But unfortunately when a gem like Aruba starts to get over built and over commercialized you have the less trustworthy merchants moving onto the Island.

We have never ever had a problem with anything we purchased until this past vacation when we made a large purchase from Little Europe jewelry store. As anniversary present I bought my wife a wedding band and a new engagement ring. Of course the salesman stated it will be appraised for more than you paid etc etc. Any problem we have a service center in New York etc etc.

Well by the time we arrived home the stones were falling out of the ring, we brought it to our local jeweler who appraised it at a much less than we paid, and he said the quality of the setting and the workmanship was very inferior and the ring will continually loose the stones. I tried numerous times to speak to the owner of the store, Little Europe, but of course - not available. Service center in New York-nonexistent. When I finally spoke to a salesman he said don't worry when you come back next year we will "exchange" it for you.

The way Little Europe and Times Square do business they probably won't be in business next year

Buyer Beware and STAY AWAY from Little Europe and Times Square frequent a store that has been on the island longer and doesn't call you "brother" when he first meets you.

Durham, Maine
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Beware of Little Europe Jewelry Store in Aruba

Thank you for the warning on Little Europe. We go to Aruba in November each year (12th visit this year), we have been to Larry's Fine Jewelry since the first time down there and we have always been happy with our purchases. He is located 1 block back from main street, down the street from Perfume Palace.

Last year I had a bracelet made for me that wasn't done by time I left the island. He emailed me pictures and sent the bracelet to me here in the US and I could not ask for better service.

Westbury
Level Contributor
18 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Beware of Little Europe Jewelry Store in Aruba

Like I've said in my posts, there are quite a few good,decent and reputable jewelry stores in Aruba but:

Stay away from Little Europe and Times Square, they are NOT among that list of reputable stores.

Thank you for your recommendation, I've been to Larry's and although I haven't bought anything from them they seemed very nice.

Scuba Mark

Beware of Little Europe Jewelry Store in Oranjestad Aruba

and Times Square in Palm Beach Aruba

NYC
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Beware of Little Europe Jewelry Store in Aruba

We have made wonderful purchases at Little Europe in Aruba...the staff is wonderful and honest. We bought exclusive high end merchandise with no problems. We will surely be returning to Little Europe!

Westbury
Level Contributor
18 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Beware of Little Europe Jewelry Store in Aruba

I'm glad you're purchase was successful and I hope you enjoy the item. I am STILL trying to obtain satisfaction so consider yourself one of the lucky ones.

I plan on visiting the "wonderful staff" on my next visit.

If you buy a brand name piece of Jewelry from them you should be fine,if not, I would stay away and

ScubaMark

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Beware of Little Europe Jewelry Store in Aruba

My name is Cassidy and I would like to take a moment to comment, not on your experience, but on my own experience with Times Square.

I am so sorry for your challenges with Little Europe. I know how frustrated you must be, and I'm truly sorry to report that I had a very positive experience with their sister store Times Square.

I purchased approximately 100k in jewelry earlier this month from Times Square. Rings, bracelets, necklaces, watches, etc. Upon returning to the states I had it appraised and everything came back with a higher appraisal then they gave me. I got a great deal on a couple Ulysse Nardin watches, and they did ship the boxes and receipts to me (they arrived two days after we came home).

In truth, I’m so hesitant to include my opinion in your thread, because I can imagine how you feel. But after spending several days with Gary and Ronnie who worked with me @ Times Square, and knowing how well I was treated, I feel compelled to suggest that your situation might be an isolated incident?

I just also want to mention that I’m not knowledgeable about jewels (particularly diamonds), only watches. When I lay down my AMEX to buy jewels in a foreign country, I don’t do so without some trepidation. That certainly was the case for me @ Times Square, but I also spent the time to get to know Gary, and met his family, and decided that I was willing to trust them, and take advantage of the apparently amazing prices.

For the record, Times Square has been in Palm Beach for a long time, I truthfully don’t know anything about Little Europe and didn’t shop there.

I personally will go back to Times Square, and was really pleased.

Again, I’m sorry to infringe on your post, I just feel a sense of loyalty to Gary and his family because I had such a positive experience.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Beware of Little Europe Jewelry Store in Aruba

Let me get this right. You bought 100k worth of jewelery in a forgeign land and know nothing about diamonds....you are one of the following. Insanley rich, not the brightest light or you are the owner of time squares.

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Beware of Little Europe Jewelry Store in Aruba

ouch...

I don't feel extremely rich, and I don't own Times Square, so by deduction...

lol

Just for the record, my wife loves my impulsivities.

Enjoy your life : )

Westbury
Level Contributor
18 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Beware of Little Europe Jewelry Store in Aruba

First let me say you shouldn’t be sorry to report that you had a “very positive experience” with Times Square, Little Europe’s sister store. I’m glad you did, I wish no one to have a bad experience that is why I posted my experience.

I purchased my Ulysse Nardin there as well, the price was a bit cheaper than the States plus no tax, so yes it was a good deal but Times Square failed to ship my box, again not the end of the world.

As for you getting to know Gary & Ronnie, they are very likeable individuals and I met their as well, they bought me and my friends dinner a few nights during our 6 week vacation. But let me say, if I had spent 100k as you did I think they would have paid for my flights back and forth to Aruba.

Their Times Square store mainly sells name brand watches and if you know your watches or have internet access you will usually save 10-20% off the manufacturers retail and you are getting a brand new watch.

But let me correct the fact you stated that their Times Square store has been in Palm Beach a “very long time”. The Palm Beach shopping area was opened in 2008, so yes it has been there a few years.

Now for an update on my experience;

VJ & Gary at Little Europe / Times Square suggested that I send the jewelry to their repair shop in California, that’s where you are from, correct? Their suggestion was that I have the rings repaired and if I decided to I could bring them back to Aruba for a credit. (Store credit, that is) Well I decided go along with their suggestion and then decide what to do with the rings when I received back “fully repaired”.

VJ stated I would have rings back in my possession by the 1st week in January 2013 since I Fedex’d them to California in November. Well can anyone guess what happened?

I never got the rings returned to me, Little Europe / Times Square had the repair shop return the rings to them directly. Not the deal we made, so where do I stand now?

I even offered to accept a 20% restocking fee, as stated on the back of their invoices, just to end this fiasco but I never heard back from that side of the “family”

When I do travel back to Aruba, which I do every year, they will see and HEAR me in their store every night before dinner. I’m usually a very quiet guy that keeps to himself except when I get angry then everyone will hear me voice my opinion. Maybe then “the family” will issue me my credit instead of losing business every single night for 4-6 weeks.

No rings and No credit for the return……

So the bottom line is Beware of Little Europe Jewelry Store in Aruba. And now I would probably say “watch out” when you are shopping in Times Square because they are related.

Like you said they treat you like “family”

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Beware of Little Europe Jewelry Store in Aruba

Yes, I live in Los Angeles...

Again, I'm so sorry for your experience. Sounds like it's been one bad thing after another.

I hope I haven't stepped on any toes with my reply. Again, I just wanted to share my perspective. There are lots of opinions here on TripAdvisor (and advice ; ), just felt compelled to acknowledge the other side of the coin and lend another point of view...

Westbury
Level Contributor
18 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Beware of Little Europe Jewelry Store in Aruba

My toes are fine...

And yes you are absolutely correct, you should share your experiences, good and bad, as I shared mine. That's what Trip Adviser is all about.

And then it's let the buyer BEWARE

Get answers to your questions about Oranjestad