We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel restrictions for bringing precooked meals into Aruba?

Which Oranjestad hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
76 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Travel restrictions for bringing precooked meals into Aruba?

I wanted to bring some homemade precooked meals to Aruba but don't want to go through the trouble of cooking it if it will be confiscated in Aruba. Airline says it's ok as long as it's in leakproof containers but to check with the Aruban Embassy to see if it is permitted. No one seems to be able to give me an answer. Has anyone done this?

New York
Level Contributor
518 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel restrictions for bringing precooked meals into Aruba?

For the last four years I have always prepared a meal or two and freeze it for Aruba. I pack it in a soft side cooler and put that in the bottom of my suitcase. It has never been confiscated. And when we arrive it is still frozen. It's nice to have for that first evening, we don't have to go out to eat.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
186 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel restrictions for bringing precooked meals into Aruba?

I wouldn't trust any airline that thinks aruba has an embassy ;)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
76 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel restrictions for bringing precooked meals into Aruba?

LOL! Actually, I was told to contact the Royal Netherlands Embassy, this from the Aruban Consolate, which I was told to call after speaking with someone from American Airlines. Doesn't seem worth it, right??

buena, nj
Level Contributor
176 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel restrictions for bringing precooked meals into Aruba?

You can bring in some canned chili or canned tuna or canned chicken and make a quick chicken/tuna salad for the first night's dinner. They even have canned roast beef. You can also get presliced roast beef, freeze it, bring a package of brown gravy. All you have to do is thaw in the gravy and have nice roast beef sandwiches. That wouldn't be too much work. I also bring tuna helper with the package and a can of tuna. Not too much cooking on that. We also go camping a lot and have learned easy and quick as a way of life. I have seen hundreds of people over the years checking large coolers full of food.

Hamilton Sq, NJ
Level Contributor
737 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel restrictions for bringing precooked meals into Aruba?

I bring frozen food all the time, never had a problem.

Teanne

Cleves, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel restrictions for bringing precooked meals into Aruba?

Food issues would have to do with Customs, not the Dutch Embassy?

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel restrictions for bringing precooked meals into Aruba?

We brought a large cooler in June full of frozen meat, some of which was marinated, and had no problems.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
76 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel restrictions for bringing precooked meals into Aruba?

Can the frozen food go on the carry on or must it be checked?

Neiva, Colombia
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel restrictions for bringing precooked meals into Aruba?

As a rule bringing any foodstuffs internationally without the proper inspections is prohibited. They will at least throw it away. They can prosecute you for it. In the US, if you bring foreign food in the will arrest you.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel restrictions for bringing precooked meals into Aruba?

My friends have been going to Aruba twice a year for over 30 years. They bring frozens meats all the time with no problem. It is when you leave Aruba when you are not allowed to bring meats back to the U.S.

Get answers to your questions about Oranjestad
Recent Conversations