We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving questions Aruba or Curacao

Which Oranjestad hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
FL
Level Contributor
375 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Diving questions Aruba or Curacao

Hello - we will be vacationing in Aruba the last week of October and would like to know if there is good diving around Aruba or Curacao? Would it be possible to schedule a diving trip to Curacao (from Aruba) and if so, does anyone have recommendations on a dive company to use?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,219 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving questions Aruba or Curacao

I am a diver and have been to Aruba about seven times (this past May) and I also spent a week in Curacao a couple of years ago.

The diving in Curacao is much better than the diving in Aruba but it really isn't logical to go to Curacao for only a couple of days. Since you should wait 24 hours to fly after diving you limit yourself to what you can do.

If you want to dive about 4-5 times then Aruba will have enough diversity for you. If you want to dive more frequently, or want to see better coral, etc. then Curacao is better.

Springfield
Level Contributor
513 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving questions Aruba or Curacao

Aruba does offer some good diving. I suggest you try and get to the Dive Sites that are to the south of Oranjestad for the best diving.

Here is a link to a Dive Site map. Move your cursor over the Dive Flags for more info.

http://www.aruba.com/whattodo/scubad2.php

If you are intent on going to another Island to Dive the best of the ABC Islands for Diving by far is Bonaire. It has been a marine santuary since the 60's, and the sites are very pristine with very good vis. Just dont expect to many other recreational activities other than diving while you are there....nope aint gonna happen.

FL
Level Contributor
375 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving questions Aruba or Curacao

Thanks for responding Medic 5 - did you use the same dive company for all your dives? Do you have a favorite area in Aruba that you like to dive? We will probably only dive a couple of times so we will more than likely dive in Aruba only this trip to make it easier.

FL
Level Contributor
375 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving questions Aruba or Curacao

Thanks for the link TJMadhouse - and the advice about diving Bonaire. Looks like we will have to plan a couple more trips so we can see it all! I really hate that!! :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,219 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diving questions Aruba or Curacao

I always use Unique Water Sports when I dive in Aruba. I was there about 8 weeks ago. The Pedernales is a shallow dive, no more than 25 feet deep, only a 5 minute boat ride from shore. This last time the fish were out in abundance and it was a great easy dive.

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
4,891 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diving questions Aruba or Curacao

Liked the diving in Curacao MUCH better than Aruba. Diving in Aruba is fine as long as you know what to expect.

7. Re: Diving questions Aruba or Curacao

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, September 05, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Oranjestad
Recent Conversations