We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renaissance Island

Which Oranjestad hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa
Level Contributor
29 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Renaissance Island

I think we're going to stay at the Renaissance. I have heard the island is fabulous. My only concern is that its so close to the airport. Does anyone have any input on this? Thanks everyone!

Camillus, NY
Level Contributor
764 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renaissance Island

I do. I was on the island one day. I had read about the airplane noise, but didn't think it would bother me. You know what, when a big jet woke me up from my snooze, it was a little annoying. It would not stop me from going to the island, though. However, I would not spend an entire week there. Not just because of the planes, but cause I prefer to have a long stretch of beach to walk on, day or night. Just my opinion. My very "nothing bothers him, go-with the flow kinda guy" husband was also bugged by the planes. He loved the iguanas, flamingos, pelicans, fish, etc. on the island. Wasted the rest of our film on them! Nice hammocks there, also. And contrary to what others say, I didn't feel that the island felt "man-made".

philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
815 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renaissance Island

We love the PI ~ it is one of the main reasons why we choose to stay at the Renissance~

Personally, we were not bothered by the planes. Typically five land/ depart in the afternoon ~ If you think you'll be bothered, just bring your IPod ~

Enjoy ! You will love the Renaissance ~

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renaissance Island

We were there for a week and spent every day there. We heard a few planes and yes, they were loud at times but infrequent. It did not and will not discourage us from going back. It is beautiful . The water is very calm and great to snorkel, swim, float, etc. We took a couple days to explore other beaches. Palm Beach was a bit too active and crowded for us. We preferred the seclusion at the Ren and since we traveled without our kids, the adult side was perfect.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Renaissance Island

My husband and I stayed at the renaissance for our honeymoon in August 05 and went back for our one year anniversary. Let's just say we loved it, did I say LOVED the place. The PI is great. The first day you hear the planes but after that you don't even notice. There is great snorkling in the rocks and outside of the rocks. There is a barge on the outside of the adult side about 40 yards out 30 ft of water. It is well worth the trip to see some schools of beautiful fish and see some other unique fish. There is a nature walk on the adult side that puts you at the tip of the island. There is some great sites to see under water there. On the family side, there is a open restaurant, service is slow but Jorge is great. The tuna salad is incredible. On this side we walked behind the gym and made it to a secluded beach were there tons of washed up coral. very quiet and nice. The hotel itself is great. There are two hotels, the suites which is on the water (no beach, but a lagoon) and the Marina hotel which is on the main road facing the Marina. It depends on what you like. We stayed at both. The suites have more families and rooms are bigger and the marina has more couples and more of just a hotel room. The bar at the marina is great, but no swim up bar. but it is easy to go between the two hotels.

Tampa
Level Contributor
29 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renaissance Island

Thank you so much, everyone! We made up our mind, that's where we are staying!

Folly Beach SC
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Renaissance Island

We tend to stay on Eagle Beach but do always spend a day on the island. Several years ago they used to let us rent the over water villa (sort of) for a whole afternoon for lunch, massages, swimming, etc. The last time, we could only rent it for two hours that included the massage time.

I would not want to stay there to primarily use that beach but do enjoy the adult side and less crowds (which I can also find on parts of Eagle easily).

T

7. Re: Renaissance Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, August 29, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Oranjestad
Recent Conversations