We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beware the tunnel of love!!

Which Oranjestad hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,482 posts
197 reviews
Save Topic
beware the tunnel of love!!

Just to let you know we visited the tunnel of love, yes we were given substantial torches (quite heavy). but the battery soon went out in one of them and the other flickered most of the time before giving up just as we reached daylight. And then quite a climb.! Quite frightening so don't go down if you are claustrophobic - there's nothing much to see down there - in my view - so NEVER AGAIN. Not for the overweight or less agile and no warning was given when we set out - just pay your money and off you go. Our only bad experience on Aruba

Morristown, NJ
Level Contributor
280 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beware the tunnel of love!!

Are you referring to one of the caves I read about? (I don't think you're referring to the Bruce Springsteen song by the same name, lol)...anyway, we were thinking of checking this out while in Aruba but now I'm not so sure.....

S1

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
12,193 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beware the tunnel of love!!

If you enjoy adventure caving, you will probably enjoy this one. My husband and kids did it last April and enjoyed it, but they did say that it was challenging. (I started out with them but soon realized that my bad knees would not do well, so I turned back.) We brought out own flashlights and if you want to do this cave, you might want to consider doing the same. First of all, you'll be assured that the batteries won't go out on you and you can bring a lightweight flashlight. Also, you might be able to avoid paying anything to go into the cave. The caves are supposed to be free, but there are people there "renting" flashlights. We actually got there late in the day and the person renting flashlights was gone. However, when he spied me waiting for my family, he came down and said that he needed to go down and lead them out of the cave as they would get lost. (My husband said there was absolutely no chance of that happening.) Anyway, it was obvious that the guy wanted some money since he'd lost out on the flashlight rental, so my husband gave him a small tip and he was happy.

There are other caves in the park which are more open and do not require flashlights and/or "guides".

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,482 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beware the tunnel of love!!

Yes you are right - if you like adventure caving!! The trouble is this is not made clear at the outset and I just wanted to warn anyone who thought this one was like the other two caves in the area. Enjoy if you like this kind of thing - but beware if you don't.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,482 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beware the tunnel of love!!

Yes you are right - if you like adventure caving!! The trouble is this is not made clear at the outset and I just wanted to warn anyone who thought this one was like the other two caves in the area. Enjoy if you like this kind of thing - but beware if you don't.

5. Re: beware the tunnel of love!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 pm, August 26, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Oranjestad
Recent Conversations