We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to use credit cards in Aruba?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
149 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to use credit cards in Aruba?

Hi, I read some older post about using credit cards in Aruba. I wanted to get some current advice on if it's safe to use my credit card around the island. I prefer to use my cc mostly and usually don't carry much cash. Is there an Aruba rule on where to use my cc and where not to? Also, do most places except cc. I will be bring my Visa that has no international fee. Thanks so much!

NJ
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to use credit cards in Aruba?

you should be fine, we have traveled to Aruba using strictly cash and we have traveled there using CC's almost everywhere. Both worked as well as the other.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,965 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to use credit cards in Aruba?

We use both cash and our credit card in restaurants and at the hotel without any problem.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,555 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to use credit cards in Aruba?

Ditto to the above. We use cash the most but also use our CC on occasion and have never had any issues.

Hull, Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,205 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to use credit cards in Aruba?

The only "problem" we have ever experienced in Aruba with credit cards, is not everyone takes American Express! The only time a card of mine was compromised was here at home. We tend the use minimal cash since I have. Better idea of what we spent and where when I go through our receipts at home-only reason.

Edited: 8:20 am, April 18, 2014
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
1,813 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to use credit cards in Aruba?

Use my credit card for at least 75% of all purchases while on the island ever since getting a "no international transaction fees" card with points.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to use credit cards in Aruba?

Never had an issue. Probably safer than up here in Jersey.

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to use credit cards in Aruba?

We use a combination of cash and credit card. We have had no issues using our credit card at the hotel and restaurants.

You may want to notify your credit card company the dates you will be in Aruba so you don't have an issue with them thinking it may be a fraudulent transaction.

Have a great trip!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to use credit cards in Aruba?

A friend of mine did have his CC compromised in Aruba, but it happens everywhere. Probably the same chances as home.

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to use credit cards in Aruba?

For 19 years we have used credit cards in Aruba without a problem. However, I would never use a debit card.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to use credit cards in Aruba?

Ditto for post 7.