We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we do all inclusive at the Amsterdam Manor Resort?

Level Contributor
127 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Should we do all inclusive at the Amsterdam Manor Resort?

My wife likes to do all inclusive and I would prefer not to as I enjoy experiencing different restaurants. My wife is also an accountant and manages our budget and this is probably the main reason she likes AI - -> she won't have to keep my bar tab in check. We generally would drink anywhere from 6-12 drinks per day between the both of us. We will be staying at AMBR for 8 nights in October.

The AI option at the Amsterdam Manor is $250/day for both of us. My question is mainly for those who have stayed at or had meals at Amsterdam Manor. Is the $250/day charge reasonable for AI and would you recommend the AI option? And yes, I've read the AI vs Non AI thread in the top right corner. Thanks in Advance!

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,644 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we do all inclusive at the Amsterdam Manor Resort?

I am also an Accountant and I would not consider AI at AM. If you purchase some adult beverages at one of the supermarkets and take advantage of the happy hours, you could easily stay within $250/day and enjoy the varied dining options available in Aruba. Even should you slightly exceed the $250/day, it would be well worth it just for the sheer pleasure of variety and freedom to get away from the resort. I definitely would NOT do AI at AM. I stayed at AM in June. Very nice hotel. Enjoy.

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we do all inclusive at the Amsterdam Manor Resort?

I agree with Tony 110%. (How's THAT, Tony?!) You have chosen a wonderful hotel and it would be no hardship to stay at AMBR all-inclusively. MY question is: will you be cabbing to off-resort restaurants or do you plan to rent a car? I enjoy a drink, too, but if I drank 3-6 mojitos a day, I would never, EVER consider getting behind the wheel. If you stayed NON-AI, you will need to factor in the cost of transportation.

I hope you have a wondeful trip!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
463 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we do all inclusive at the Amsterdam Manor Resort?

I am here now and please believe me ....don't do the AI here. It's our second day and I can't imagine staying here all day for your meals and drinks. We brought mixers and bought liquor at the airport and that saves a lot $$. We do AI in MX but Aruba is very different.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we do all inclusive at the Amsterdam Manor Resort?

We are at MVC Eagle Beach now (last day today) and without a car have eaten at Matthews, Bugaloe, Scott's Brats and of course Tulip (located at MVC) and have enjoyed the happy hour prices at Passions Beach Bar, the upper deck bar at AM (we lovingly call it Vincent's bar), the Beach Bar and other places on Palm Beach. We drink lots and love to eat and we averaged $200 a day total.

Hull, Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we do all inclusive at the Amsterdam Manor Resort?

I'm not an accountant, but I am Scottish and hate to waste money (haha)! We have done many AI trips including the Divi in Aruba. The best part, for us, of Aruba is great food choices and the safety of the island so we wouldn't do an AI trip here again. I'd agree with the above posts and make drinks in your room and hit a bunch of Happy Hours around the island -it will be a great vacation!

Boston
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we do all inclusive at the Amsterdam Manor Resort?

no

Sudbury, Canada
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we do all inclusive at the Amsterdam Manor Resort?

We did not do AI at Amsterdam Manor and it worked out well. Bought lunch, breakfast, snacks, and beer at the grocery store. Ate out each night. We had a car, but used taxis or buses if we would be drinking. Also, lots of good restaurants within walking distance.

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we do all inclusive at the Amsterdam Manor Resort?

For just one couple, even purchasing all meals ala carte as well as beverages from the bar, you could most likely come out cheaper or the worst, break even.

In that it is a personal preference, all inclusive vs. non all inclusive issue, for a family group such as ours, the Amsterdam Manor can be less expensive than paying ala carte for everything.

In our case, comparing all inclusive resorts, at least traveling over the holidays, the Amsterdam Manor All Inclusive in a 2 bedroom and studio were less expensive than 3 rooms at the Tamarijn. So all in all, not something to write off completely, it would just depend upon your individual circumstances.

marietta, ga
Level Contributor
140 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we do all inclusive at the Amsterdam Manor Resort?

my wife and I stayed at the Amsterdam Manor back in May for 7 days and did not do AI. We cabbed it to the Palm Beach many times for only $8. We took advantage of the many good restaurants. Went to Madame Janettes and Barefoot and cabbed it. You are only a 5-10 minute walk from the Superfoods.

10. Re: Should we do all inclusive at the Amsterdam Manor Resort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, September 11, 2014